Search

Miles pros: help please !

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Miles pros: help please !

Hi all,

So I've got my heart set on a last minute getaway to Miami, Florida, and have just booked 2x people flights out in F with an amex 2F1 with BA...

I'm looking for flights back home (Florida -> London) (2 ppl), with miles, in a premium cabin (lie flat beds), for any of the following dates:

2nd, 3rd or 4th June, back from Florida to London.

I've done a search with Oneworld, and there's nothing available.. But... then I remembered, I've got a bunch of points with Virgin Atlantic (200k), and a load of points with Amex Membership Rewards and HSBC Rewards (Cathay, Singapore, Etihad).

Does anybody have any ideas? Happy to route through New York if need be and build a stop-over in..
Old May 17, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bmj1
Hi all,

So I've got my heart set on a last minute getaway to Miami, Florida, and have just booked 2x people flights out in F with an amex 2F1 with BA...

I'm looking for flights back home (Florida -> London) (2 ppl), with miles, in a premium cabin (lie flat beds), for any of the following dates:

I've done a search with Oneworld, and there's nothing available.. But... then I remembered, I've got a bunch of points with Virgin Atlantic (200k), and a load of points with Amex Membership Rewards and HSBC Rewards (Cathay, Singapore, Etihad).

Does anybody have any ideas? Happy to route through New York if need be and build a stop-over in..
Check Avios premium cabin award availability from other U.S. East Coast cities; you could book an open-jaw redemption if necessary.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Check Avios premium cabin award availability from other U.S. East Coast cities; you could book an open-jaw redemption if necessary.
I've looked at both West and East coast, there's nothing..
Old May 17, 2019, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

I've looked at both West and East coast, there's nothing.. (but thanks for the suggestion)
Old May 17, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I've looked at both West and East coast, there's nothing.. (but thanks for the suggestion)
Did you include CHS and BNA in your searches?
Old May 17, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Hi all,

There are two UC seat on VA on the 1st June from New York or Boston on the 4th. Then you could just use the other half of the 241 voucher to book a return from a different trip so long as it's booked before you fly to MIA.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
Hey hey,

Virgin has availability on the 4th June from Boston to LHR for 95,000 points total (for two people) + $1248.40 in 'taxes and fees' in Upper Class.

Flying from MIA-->BOS is possible in domestic first for 80,000 Delta points total on the 3rd (guessing you can ship from MR though you don't give a balance there) - alternatively you could try making it come up on the Virgin award search as I believe it would be less points there to book Delta via Virgin but I couldn't make it work (call Virgin is an option maybe before you commit to the MR overspend via Delta transfer). Though it's coming out at a $922 fare for two on Google flights, so not horrific use of Delta points (though arguably not MRs depending on what better uses you find for them).

Staying overnight at the Hilton Boston Logan Intl is 60,000 points (or $480) so good value per Hilton point. There's a Hampton for 40,000. Assuming you have enough MRs you can follow this plan and leave MIA a day early to Boston then hop on the Virgin flight. If you don't have enough MRs you could just book the hotel with AVIOS but ofc that's 'suboptimal value' but sometimes just not spending cash is the aim so... it is what it is.

Alternatives:

It should be possible to find Virgin routes (flown on Delta metal) from the east coast to some european destinations (but see above the search was glitching out on me so I couldn't check what was working - assume need to call) and slash the surcharges if it's on Delta metal. Same for Delta flights if you have enough MRs. Delta transfers in from MR instantly (the couple times I've done it) so if you do find availability you should be good to go. Obviously still need to connect in Europe but if you can find a delta flight with connections from MIA on points to Europe that might work. Though with Delta's variable pricing and how close in we are I'd not be massively optimistic about finding anything reasonable.

Good luck!
Old May 18, 2019, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. Some Club seats just opened up with Avios to return, so I gratefully snapped them up.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.