Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA pulling Kiev and St Petersburg routes effective 4 Oct 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA pulling Kiev and St Petersburg routes effective 4 Oct 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Shame Kiev is being pulled, I like the city but have not been there for a couple of years. I will probably take the last BA flight out of Kiev which is an A321 with 11/12 rows of CE and no I inventory.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoweyB
I almost got a flight on PS from Lviv to Kyiv a few years back but in the end decided to get the train to see the countryside.
Did you get a hard car?

From the Good Old Days:

Leningrad-Kiev, airfare ₽22
Kiev-Moscow, train fare 14.60

Attached Images   
BlueThroughCrimp and TWCLAM like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:58 pm

Must they offer to reroute me?

Hi all, registered to say thank you so much for this information about BA dropping Kiev and St Petersburg, did ask BA but they insisted I can only have a refund and they won't be offering any rerouting... I got a bit clued up last year after Qatar cancelled my flight just before takeoff so I'm under the impression it's MY choice about whether to have a refund or have them re-route me, right? See from BA.com and here that the options seem to be LHR-LED via Moscow or Helsinki. They tried telling me they couldn't reroute as other carriers not Oneworld until I reminded them that S7 are Oneworld and Nordic and Globus are affiliate Oneworld members. After that they said I couldn't be rerouted unless the cancellation was less than 24 hours.. so have a strong impression they want to refund me then?

Will wait a bit as suggested here, thank you. The only other sub Ł200 return flights London- LED are Brussels Airlines, but if the LHR Brussels is late in there is no later connection with them on that day and nor the next day so imagine would be rerouted with aeroflot via Moscow or somewhere and a very long journey and late arrival into LED so I'm really loathe to have a refund and book that instead

Is it possible that BA have a similar reason for dropping this route LHR-LED as Pobeda, ie Russian customs inspections affecting turn around times?

Thanks again.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:40 am

That leaves Moscow as the only city that was once part of the USSR to be served by BA, can’t believe during the S19 summer schedule BA is flying 787/777 on BA232/233 to Moscow, so seems like moscow still has a future for BA
Old May 19, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by flyandeat
Hi all, registered to say thank you so much for this information about BA dropping Kiev and St Petersburg, did ask BA but they insisted I can only have a refund and they won't be offering any rerouting... I got a bit clued up last year after Qatar cancelled my flight just before takeoff so I'm under the impression it's MY choice about whether to have a refund or have them re-route me, right? See from BA.com and here that the options seem to be LHR-LED via Moscow or Helsinki. They tried telling me they couldn't reroute as other carriers not Oneworld until I reminded them that S7 are Oneworld and Nordic and Globus are affiliate Oneworld members. After that they said I couldn't be rerouted unless the cancellation was less than 24 hours.. so have a strong impression they want to refund me then?

Will wait a bit as suggested here, thank you. The only other sub Ł200 return flights London- LED are Brussels Airlines, but if the LHR Brussels is late in there is no later connection with them on that day and nor the next day so imagine would be rerouted with aeroflot via Moscow or somewhere and a very long journey and late arrival into LED so I'm really loathe to have a refund and book that instead

Is it possible that BA have a similar reason for dropping this route LHR-LED as Pobeda, ie Russian customs inspections affecting turn around times?

Thanks again.
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Forum Flyandeat! We all hope that you'll have a great time with us here! Yes, waiting a bit is probably best for now and to be honest, I very much doubt customs inspections are the reason here, it screams of a commercial decision.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by flyandeat
I don't think there are any customs inspections. The reason is quite simple - BA can't compete because it can't/does not want to offer a convenient schedule for either point-to-point or connecting passengers. Even if BA is often the cheapest on these routes, passengers still opt to fly with competitors for the scheduling reasons. BA started losing passengers on these routes even when it was still a 'full service" airline (which in a way shows how little the 'service' really matters for purchasing decisions). Without changing the schedule BA would not have had a chance, and the airline decided that it could utilize the LHR slots more profitably by flying elsewhere. I would not be surprised if MOW reverts back to shorthaul aircraft soon,
Old May 19, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by Andriyko
The reason is quite simple - BA can't compete because it can't/does not want to offer a convenient schedule for either point-to-point or connecting passengers.
Agree wholeheartedly. BA could have made both routes work by moving outbound to a late evening with inbound arriving early morning. Realistically speaking Heathrow is only reasonable as a transfer airport if going to Americas or Ireland. Current schedule with both flights arriving between 4 and 6 pm makes it impossible to connect to anywhere but Asia or continental Europe. Who would (outside of this community) even consider traveling from LED to ICN or PEK via LHR?
Old May 19, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by luitje

Agree wholeheartedly. BA could have made both routes work by moving outbound to a late evening with inbound arriving early morning. Realistically speaking Heathrow is only reasonable as a transfer airport if going to Americas or Ireland. Current schedule with both flights arriving between 4 and 6 pm makes it impossible to connect to anywhere but Asia or continental Europe. Who would (outside of this community) even consider traveling from LED to ICN or PEK via LHR?
Good points. The 8am departure to KBP was also useless for anyone trying to connect from another UK (or EU) airport. I travelled multiple times to KBP from Scotland but always with LH or KL as it was impossible to connect with BA timings. That being said, the few times I used BA between KBP and LHR the flight was packed. Can’t comment on LED, but KBP is really going to the dogs. I have noticed a significant increase in prices - naturally - as carriers have pulled out.
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
BREAKING NEWS!!!!! Stop the presses......

Now I cannot promise that this will work for everyone right now however I just managed to rebook LED. Rebooking conditions haven't been issued yet and the best contact centre staff could hope for was "hopefully sometime this week" as they are in the dark as much as us as pax. I asked if she could look at X flight and was told I couldnt use the routing as it uses Nordic. She was unable to book so after accepting it's not her fault I asked for a manager who told me in no uncertain terms Nordic are nothing to do with OW and in quite a snooty manner I was wrong so I had them go to the OW website and asked them to read out the affiliates list, then explain how I was wrong and how I couldn't be rebooked - suffice to say I have just been re booked LHR-HEL ( AY) HEL-LED( N7) then BA direct back from DME-LHR.

As the rules haven't been published yet I think some understanding on the agents part is needed and a, if need be, firm but fair hand with a manager. I just thought those of you looking to rebook should at least be near, if not there when it comes to getting it sorted.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Deleted. I give up.
TedToToe and MarkFlies like this.

Last edited by KARFA; May 19, 2019 at 1:01 pm
Old May 19, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
As the rules haven't been published yet I think some understanding on the agents part is needed and a, if need be, firm but fair hand with a manager. I just thought those of you looking to rebook should at least be near, if not there when it comes to getting it sorted.
Sorry, I must be missing the point but why rush rebooking of a flight which is at least 5 months ahead? Wouldn't waiting a week until rebooking rules have been issued make this process a tad faster and hassle free?
MarkFlies likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Did you get a hard car?

No, I went First Class which was remarkably good value and PS refunded my flight online in full in two days.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
This is very sad news, although I don't use either route. BA seems to be a bit of a nonentity in Eastern Europe these days. Meanwhile they seem to be adding plenty of leisure routes. Of course they cannot and should not operate routes at a loss, but these are two pretty significant destinations to chop IMO.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
As it happens I was simply calling to ask if the rules had been published yet( because the better half had requested me to and i'm not stupid enough to say no lol) and after a little chat the agent actually pushed to look for me and to try and resolve the matter sooner rather than later.

That said as there were only 5 seats left on the flight ( in business class) despite it being 5 months away it was possibly a good move
Old May 20, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
This is really disappointing, myself and a whole bunch of my team travel frequently from LHR to LED monthly. Whilst Rossiya/Aeroflot offer a cheaper service (and food), the times are a bit pants going out as you get in late

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.