Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA pulling Kiev and St Petersburg routes effective 4 Oct 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA pulling Kiev and St Petersburg routes effective 4 Oct 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 9:11 am

Got a text that my LHR-KBP for 2nd of Nov is cancelled, but return on 3rd is still showing as scheduled. So is it pulled completely or just reduced frequency?
And another thing, I booked those flights during double Avios promo, if I now rebook or cancel will I lose out on 2019 bonus Avios?
Old May 17, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC
It’s a shame that these have been pulled. Lately we’ve seen BA pull a number of short haul ‘business’ routes in favour of leisure destinations. I guess that’s what happens at a slot restricted airport.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
Hold off rebooking alternative flights. BA will follow up with rebooking guidelines for customers effected by the route suspension. We'll probably learn what these are within the next week or so.
Originally Posted by pauldb
But if there's no better alternative for you than FR, maybe you should just go ahead and book it -- if it's cheaper that is. BA would rebook you with no refund so you might as well pocket the difference; if BA do rebook to FR or others do so first, the discount is only going to close.
was an avios booking so going to cost anyway lol. my return on 5th Jan still showing ok so far but i await cancellation text
Old May 17, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
There’s also PS (Ukraine International Airlines) who fly from LGW. I did a specimen costing for December and it was Ł159 rtn so FR are still winning on cost.

I almost got a flight on PS from Lviv to Kyiv a few years back but in the end decided to get the train to see the countryside. The ticket I had entitled me to use the wonderfully translated Hall of Enhanced Comforts at the Railway Station !
Old May 17, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Ukraine International are okay ... they had 2 daily LGW - Kiev flights .. though one of the flights from LGW was frequently at dreadful timings ( late night departure arriving into Kiev at 4am ) .. usually cheap enough, if LGW works for you and you avoid the overnight flight on the outbound it's not the worst option at all
Old May 17, 2019, 9:49 am

This is a great shame re LED, which has become my regular route. I’m not entirely surprised, as I would say over the winter months, you could have had a row to yourself in economy on every flight I was on. However my return flight next week has club to row 10 and this isn’t too unusual, so I don’t think it’s down to revenue entirely. I suspect LED airport is logistically much for complex for BA to operate out of than most EU airports, with the visa situation etc., so they’d rather just fly more people to the beach, citybreaks and mountains.

Not sure I really fancy Rossiya from Gatwick as the direct, I guess Finnair becomes the next best indirect option with one world! Also a great shame to loose the option of a fairly cheap 80tp in CE on this route when short!
Old May 17, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Not surprised re KBP. Twice daily flights have been eroded away. The loads slumped after the shenanigans with Russia. A real shame, not least for those that live there.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
This really sucks. Not that I am affected that much as BA's longhaul fares have always allowed to take PS between IEV and LON as the BA flight does not really connect to anything in both directions, but it was nice to start the trip with a BA crew when we chose to do so. I am not surprised though as the BA schedule was very inconvenient - who wants to leave London at 8am when you can take PS at noon? PS manages to fill 2 daily flights while BA has been struggling with a daily flight. And BA has always been the cheapest. I think BA never picked much of the P2P traffic while Transatlantic traffic is scooped by the Star Alliance with much much better connections. Transferring from LGW to LHR will become a permanent thing for us.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC
oh bugger

I had a christmas trip booked to kyiv with BA too. Not had any contact from them yet

Also annoying as i was going to use it as a transfer point for flying to Baku.

Last edited by RyanLHR; May 17, 2019 at 10:45 am
Old May 17, 2019, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
As the UK is still part of the European Union ->

just had text saying my fllight to Kiev in December was cancelled.
A transportation contract is in place, which cannot be voided at will by BA.
This triggers EC261/2004 article 8 protection. The airline has to rebook the passenger onto an alternative flight. If BA doesn't serve the route, LH/LX/OS do.
nancypants, cauchy and george77300 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by warakorn
As the UK is still part of the European Union ->

A transportation contract is in place, which cannot be voided at will by BA.
This triggers EC261/2004 article 8 protection. The airline has to rebook the passenger onto an alternative flight. If BA doesn't serve the route, LH/LX/OS do.
Yes I am sure once the rebooking guidelines are out the options being offered will become clear.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Sam Lewis
was an avios booking so going to cost anyway lol. my return on 5th Jan still showing ok so far but i await cancellation text
Taking the TLL route withdrawal as an example, BA ended up rebooking 125 ticket holders onto SK services via ARN and CPH. Redemption ticket holders were included in that particular agreement. In the case of KBP, I'd be waiting to see if a rebooking arrangement with LH via FRA/MUC materialises
nancypants and george77300 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero
Taking the TLL route withdrawal as an example, BA ended up rebooking 125 ticket holders onto SK services via ARN and CPH. Redemption ticket holders were included in that particular agreement. In the case of KBP, I'd be waiting to see if a rebooking arrangement with LH via FRA/MUC materialises
It'll probably be UIA since BA has a prorate agreement with them.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:09 pm

Eleven years ago I decided never to fly Ryanair again, but, pricing a flight to Lviv they were 20% of the other available carriers and a direct flight too. So off I go (after having to purchase special luggage to fit their rules).
nancypants likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
TK would mean a minimum travel time of approx 7.30/8 hrs vs 3.20 hrs on FR.
A return ticket on TK starts at around GBP640 in business and around GBP215 in economy.
A return ticket on FR starts at around Ł55.

Undoubtedly a much more comfortable experience in TK but not really comparable in either cost or duration.
At those prices you could call Ryanair and purchase the middle seat also! Get yourself seats on the 2F side then comfort shouldn’t be an issue with nobody sat beside you and a bulkhead in front. Especially if you end up on a newer plane with the Boeing Sky Interior and the new seats.

Now I’m off to reprimand myself for thinking about the option above.
nancypants and TTmex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.