Splitting 2 pax by OpUp

Old May 17, 19, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club: Silver HHons:Gold FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Splitting 2 pax by OpUp

My wife and I both on same booking.
Both Silver.
Lucky lady gets an OpUp I stay at the back.

Does this happen very often?
Old May 17, 19, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci Silver, BA GFL / GGL, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Has happened to me on the outbound to my family summer holiday (4 pax, same PNR) twice in the last 2 years.

Both times I declined and asked to be sat back with my family, which required some huffing and puffing from the gate staff but eventually resolved OK. Unfortunately neither resolution resulted in everyone being upgraded!
Old May 17, 19, 4:26 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
Both times I declined and asked to be sat back with my family, which required some huffing and puffing from the gate staff but eventually resolved OK. !
Huffing and puffing meaning a bit of complication for them (as they had already sold the seats?) or genuine annoyance / reluctance? As if you mean the latter, then I think that's poor. How can they guarantee someone will be thrilled to be OpUpped alone when in a family party?
Old May 17, 19, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It's happened to us, although the check-in desk had specifically checked with us in advance as to whether it would be OK if they needed to do it after check-in closed. We said yes, and so one of us flew in F instead.
CappuccinoAddict and wrp96 like this.
Old May 17, 19, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe View Post
Huffing and puffing meaning a bit of complication for them (as they had already sold the seats?) or genuine annoyance / reluctance? As if you mean the latter, then I think that's poor. How can they guarantee someone will be thrilled to be OpUpped alone when in a family party?
Certainly complication as in each case the seat had been re-allocated, and the gate team both times did tell me (for my information??!) that it had already been re-assigned, rather than just saying "yes, we understand, we will sort".

The first time I was made to feel like they were doing me a favour when they "finally" managed to get me back to where I started from, the second time was more professional and better handled.

This was my BP in the end, the first time!

Old May 17, 19, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If this happened to me & the Mrs we'd be flipping a coin ! Equality and all that ........
Old May 17, 19, 4:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is probably the 20% [alert: made up statistic] situation. It happens, but the 80% scenario is that both people on the same PNR get the upgrade. It's not impossible for family groups to all get upgrades too, but it's obviously easier and more useful to upgrade single or couple passenger PNRs.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 17, 19, 5:10 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
If you want to decline it surely easier just to approach the person who has taken your original seat and offer them the higher class rather than argue with the gate staff. Some chance of rejection of course but not high
Old May 17, 19, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold & honoured with a Mucci des Zones de Tranquilité . Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
I declined an opup to First ( at check in ) coming back from Barbados with my wife only to find we were both upgraded at the gate.
Old May 17, 19, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
If you want to decline it surely easier just to approach the person who has taken your original seat and offer them the higher class rather than argue with the gate staff. Some chance of rejection of course but not high
Depends on whether they are themselves part of a party. I think it's the gate agent's job to sort this stuff.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old May 17, 19, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Pascoe View Post
Depends on whether they are themselves part of a party. I think it's the gate agent's job to sort this stuff.
Simple answer would be just don't upgrade anyone who's on a party booking. Then wait for the ''why did a Blue get upgraded over me, a Gold'' type threads.
Old May 17, 19, 5:57 am

There's no 'simple' answer right? Can't please all of the people all of the time.
Old May 17, 19, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
I didn't expect this! I split or do separate reservations to increase OpUps when travelling with co-Golds
becks1 likes this.
Old May 17, 19, 6:19 am

Hadn't thought of that tactic. Tbh last time my wife and I had gold at same time, we had no kids and reasonably high CIV so were a half decent bet for a 'double beep' anyway (particularly W>>J)

And nowadays with my motley gang in tow I suspect less so :-)
Old May 17, 19, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Just to clarify, both times this was at LHR T3 where the seat change was picked up at the time of BP check at the gate, which then leads to a biggish holding area, where we would then wait 20-30 mins before actual boarding.

So, even if I agreed with your proposed approach, I wouldn't have known who would have been sitting in my original seat and there was a good 20 mins for gate staff to resolve before boarding started.

There was also no arguing involved - am not sure where that impression came from!
RockyRobin likes this.

Search this Thread