Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Splitting 2 pax by OpUp

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: BA GGL. Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
We came back from Las Vega last year as a family of 4. 3 of us were upgraded to first and my son aged 13 was left in Club! So muggins here ended up with a peaceful flight in 62A whilst my wife sipped the LPGS and the kids loved first class coke!!!
Old May 17, 2019, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHRagain
We came back from Las Vega last year as a family of 4. 3 of us were upgraded to first and my son aged 13 was left in Club! So muggins here ended up with a peaceful flight in 62A whilst my wife sipped the LPGS and the kids loved first class coke!!!
Why didn't you just let the kid stay in business class? when travelling with my foster son (13 at the time) last year on WY, one of us received an involuntary upgrade and the other didn't
Old May 17, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
If you want to decline it surely easier just to approach the person who has taken your original seat and offer them the higher class rather than argue with the gate staff. Some chance of rejection of course but not high
I've tried that once and the guy declined to move to the higher cabin. I could tell he was nervous and an infrequent traveler and I assume he thought that it wasn't allowed or that it was something dodgy.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mario
I've tried that once and the guy declined to move to the higher cabin. I could tell he was nervous and an infrequent traveler and I assume he thought that it wasn't allowed or that it was something dodgy.
Did you try to enlist the help of the cabin crew? That might have overcome that issue, if it was the reason.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Travelling with a friend to Dublin from LCY, she got upgraded to CE and I got booted out of my seat in row 4 or 5 and sent down to the back of the plane. I couldn't do online check-in, so when I asked why at the airport, i was told that they were upgrading all Silver card holders (I was a lowly bronze at the time) to try and tempt them into flying business class on the route, regardless of who else was on their booking - it seemed a bit illogical, aiming to please one person and p-off those travelling with them. And no, strangely enough, she has never booked CE to Dublin since. I did at least get my own back when travelling with the same friend JNB to CPT, I got upgraded to Club and she stayed where she was.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by AleTrail
My wife and I both on same booking.
Both Silver.
Lucky lady gets an OpUp I stay at the back.

Does this happen very often?
It happened to us once, I got upgraded W -> J at check-in as gold. Mrs Firstlight (silver) and I had a discussion on who should get the upgrade - it was going to be me as I had to go into the office the next day. However she got the magic beep at the gate and a cabin crew person and a friendly pax allowed us to move around and end up sat together.

As others have said we have had a few joint upgrades - mainly from J to F to/from Dubai and a couple of FLUBs (sat in first seats with J service) due to an operational swap from a 3 class 777 to 4 class 777.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Pascoe
There's no 'simple' answer right? Can't please all of the people all of the time.

Yes I'm being cheeky, because the back end to that checkmark is far more complicated
Old May 17, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Huffing and puffing meaning a bit of complication for them (as they had already sold the seats?) or genuine annoyance / reluctance? As if you mean the latter, then I think that's poor. How can they guarantee someone will be thrilled to be OpUpped alone when in a family party?
This! My one op-up experience was exactly the same situation, back from ANU and swapping out one of the 4 of us, but specifically taking the extra legroom seat at the front of Y on a 772, and 'upgrading' to a middle WT+ seat between 2 teenagers.

Is that what you call a back-handed opup?
Old May 18, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by AleTrail
My wife and I both on same booking.
Both Silver.
Lucky lady gets an OpUp I stay at the back.

Does this happen very often?
Twice in one trip (albeit it two PNRs TCP'd together), LHR->JFK and JFK->LHR. Very strange!
Old May 18, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by abligh
Twice in one trip (albeit it two PNRs TCP'd together), LHR->JFK and JFK->LHR. Very strange!
And I haven't had an upgrade in 5 years...
Old May 18, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by LCY8737

And I haven't had an upgrade in 5 years...
I haven't had an opup since I turned Gfl. I am deading turning GGLfl.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Originally Posted by Gig103

Not as unusual as it sounds! Cruise lines do this so as not to upset the plans of travelers who select staterooms well in advance. Now that airlines have monetized seat assignments, such a thing might not be such a bad idea.

Old May 19, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by LHRagain
whilst my wife sipped the LPGS and the kids loved first class coke!!!
Is there a higher purity level in First?
Pascoe likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Flying back from BOS one year in F and approached the check in desks. The F one has a small queue so I used the CW line instead and was called forward faster. Lady manning the desk takes my passport and asks if I'd like to upgrade to F for a small amount extra. I said I don't think that's possible and when she looked at my booking said "Oops sorry should have checked."
Old May 19, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
We had a similar a while back, travelling economy from JFK to London (I can't remember if it was LHR or LGW). Anyway, I checked in first to find I'd been upgraded to WT+. Then noticed that Mr Editor had been upgraded to CW! Fortunately I was also upgraded to CW at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.