Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Toronto to Hong Kong - direct / indirect and TP / Avios earns

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022

My partner and I are thinking about doing Vietnam and hubbing via one of the bigger cities. (probably HK)

I have looked at Cathy going direct or the hard way via London (with a stop in one direction).

Many things to think about
  • 16 hours direct versus 28 hours via London
  • Cathy business class vs BA business class (I suspect is a no brainer)
  • 777 vs 350 and 380
  • less than 500 CAD separates the fare between the carriers. Breaking in London in one direct adds a few hundred bucks but BA without a stop is the cheapest of the three options. (which I know started as two!!)
I've put the time to one side, as I see it as a bit of an adventure and a chance to stop in my city of birth for a few days., The real clincher for me would be the TPs and Avios. Obviously going Cathay are not qualifying sections, but do BA consider both legs as separate legs ie I'd get four sectors (tick), 39k avios with BA (tick) but I don't know what CX would be. I guess the clincher would be TPs ie there should be enough on four BA sectors for silver in one hit.

Is there an online tool where I can find this out, or a website where I can compare all of the above. I accept some of the FT community may think I'm bonkers while the rest would share my view of it being an adventure, loads of TP and Avios, loads of booze, and the A350 and A380 - both of which I am yet to fly!

Or is there a better option ie singapore, bangkok

Thanks

Last edited by Mikey Mike Mike; May 16, 2019 at 8:04 pm Reason: Added probably HK
Old May 16, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
If the BA segments don't matter, check out flights from Montreal to DAD, HAN, SGN instead. QR flights are pricing around $3k CAD.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Don't forget that from October BA will offer on YYZ-LHR route brand new Club World Suite on A350-1000 (one flight a day)
Old May 16, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Having been forced to fly from YYZ-HKG via LHR for work once, I can't think why anyone would elect for this route. I was fortunately able to upgrade the second leg with Avios, allowing me to use the slightly less crowded Concorde Room, but it was still one of my worst travel experiences. Spending 8 hours in Heathrow is not an adventure, don't kid yourself. I would suggest either having two stopovers for a few days each way, or book an around the world ticket.

Here are the EC details, though I can think of 100 better ways to get avios and tier points. I am sympathetic to those needing qualifying segments, not living in the UK myself. Sometimes we have to get creative to keep status.

BA via LHR
4 qualifying segments
560 Tier Points
50K Avios (assuming you are Silver)

Cathay direct
0 qualifying segments
320 Tier Points
19.5K Avios
Old May 17, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
All useful advice. Many thanks.

I agree going the long way is onerous - stopping in London helps for sure. If anyone has a more creative way to get the four sectors - I'm assuming YYZ - LHR - TXL or similar does the same job. Topping up tier points to Silver is easy once I have the four segments as AA from YYZ to LGA has yielded 5, 10 or 20 TPs each way depending on the fare class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.