Wiki Posts
Search

Least reliable BA routes

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Least reliable BA routes

Hello folks. I know ExpertFlyer has reliability history, and the likes of FlightRadar24 show the state of a given route, but is there a way of finding the most unreliable routes on a given airline (I'm primarily interested in BA and IB) somewhere? Ta!
Old May 16, 2019, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Daily Mail could be a good source.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Has to be Doha for BA...
TheOldMan likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:53 am

For BA, I put forward JNB.
gnomeza likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Flightstats is probably the best place for the data if you want to do it yourself. The level of detail is outstanding from them, you could for instance find out the most and least delayed aircraft in a fleet for instance.

I’ve used it myself, but not to the extent of analysing a whole airlines network.

You could always data mine the booking engines that show a percentage on time but that won’t be particularly quick nor will it give particularly detailed data.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
What's the motivation for this?
BAEC, nancypants and SKT-DK like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by armouredant
Hello folks. I know ExpertFlyer has reliability history, and the likes of FlightRadar24 show the state of a given route, but is there a way of finding the most unreliable routes on a given airline (I'm primarily interested in BA and IB) somewhere? Ta!
anything anywhere on a Friday or Sunday evening in summer
Old May 16, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Last domestic rotation of the day on a Friday
Old May 16, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Dusseldorf?????
Old May 16, 2019, 11:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by armouredant
What definition of “unreliable” should we be working to ? Lateness ? Number of cancellations ? Percentage of cancellations ? Passenger disruption (eg high impact of a cancellation because there’s no easy rebooking options) ?
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
LBA is always the first sacrificial short haul lamb.
JNB is the first to be dropped from the 380 rotations
at LGW the AMS and JFKs are the poor cousins
Passmethesickbag and mikem004 like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I agree with an earlier comment - it depends on the definition of reliability. The return leg to the UK / City is often more unreliable through no fault of BA's - unless they're turnaround allowances are poor. I agree the later in the day, the worse it can be. However as BA only now have two long haul hubs, the resources to recover are in one place. Without going off topic, Air Canada have shut smaller bases and have four in YVR, YYC, YYZ and YUL. The aircraft fly complex diagrams each days with crews doing four legs away from the home base. I think BA (aircraft permitting) are able to recover later rotations with spare crew and aircraft. My best friend is a BS short haul CSM and does an airport standby ready to jump in - sometimes for sickness and sometimes a scratch crew to assist with recovering with an on time departure despite a late incoming. Late departures and late arrivals are also different with favourable winds across the pond producing some great results - I've pushed back 5 late from Toronto and been on the gate at Heathrow 30 early!!

If you're talking around cancellations rather than late running, Toronto either loses flights in planned cancellations, and short notice where there is no spare aircraft.

If you're talking about aircraft type - the A380 with only 12 in the fleet may be vulnerable and the 777 with 2 currently away for densification also leaves them short. I'd only nominate Toronto again for aircraft changes - we had no first all winter, and flights before christmas going from 787-8 to 777-747 as demand exceeded supply.

I'm sure the scheduling team on duty have a hit list of flights to nobble during disruption due to loads. I suspect some cancellations and schedules are easier to cancel from others. With the new A320s and A321s (and no retirements to my knowledge) the shorthaul fleet is larger but I notice the odd ex BMI A321 with decent biz class seats is often heavily delayed.

Not sure it answers your question, but reliability and punctuality has many permutations and definitions.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by A P Yu
LBA has got to be near the top of the % of flights cancelled list. It's astonishing how often the flight is dropped given there is now usually only one flight per day.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Although my recent experiences on various routes have been quote good re punctuality, I had a sensational run a couple of years back when flying between LHR and MUC on a few occasions where my return flight (last evening departure) from MUC was late on every occasion (6 or 7 in a row) so although that might just be bad luck on what is an otherwise reliable route it's been ingrained in my psyche as the most unreliable BA route I've ever been on (using punctuality as the benchmark- yes there are various ways in which to analyse "reliability"). Thank God for that amazing lounge
Old May 17, 2019, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
This illustrates the shortcoming of only looking at which route is least reliable. In my experience the JNB 747 flights are very reliable (indeed I always opt for these in preference to the A380 flights exactly because of the difference in reliability, despite preferring the A380 in general). So you need to look at individual flight reliability, not just overall route I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.