Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changing opinion of BA....or is it just the MEX route?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Hi All....just a personal cooment here. I am a OW flyer and being based in the UK end up flying BA a lot of the time for sheer convenience. I will start with being honest that I am not generally a fan of BA, and seldom have many good things to say about them.

Earlier this month the better half and I flew LHR - MEX - LHR (787-9) in Club. On the way out Club was about 50% and on the way back I would estimate around 65/70% full - and this may be a factor in the experience. I have to say that both of these flights were excellent. I was preparing for my usual experience but was blown away (helps expectations were low). The planes were great and relatively clean, the IFE worked well, the food was reasonable but without exception every member of crew was fantastic, on both legs. They could not do enough to help, friendly yet professional, it really made flying an absolute pleasure. On the return leg as the flight left at 23h00 and I was tired I decided not to eat the evening meal, and immediately started to get the seat into lie-flat once seatbelt signs were off. One of the crew came to me, addressing me by name and asking if I was sure I would not like anything to eat before turning in? I asked how long it would take to just get a cheese plate, and she responded "straight away" - it was not a minute later before the tray arrived with a well presented plate of cheese. It might seems trivial, but it impressed me.

On the way out an announcement on arrival was made in English and then in Spanish and the lady giving the announcement in Spanish finished in English saying "on behalf of the Mexico based crew on board we would like to welcome you to Mexico and hope you have a wonderful time in our country". On the return leg it seemed like there was a mix of UK and Mexican crew as well, and it just seemed to give a different feel to the whole service. Neither crew was better than the other, but combined were phenomenal, and have certainly upped my expectations for the next time I step on board a BA flight.

Just felt with all the "BA going downhill" posts on here it would be nice to be able to post something different.
T8191, Wbeest, truncated and 7 others like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Good to hear. I should say I really don't think the loading makes much difference. The most shambolic crew I have experienced in BA J was on a plane only 20% full. Plenty of very full flights have been good or excellent.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Just felt with all the "BA going downhill" posts on here it would be nice to be able to post something different.
I think one has to read this forum very much in context. It certainly helps if the flight is not completely full, 75% is about perfect, mostly BA runs close to full. The stories that get "legs" are those with tales of woe. Now these events certainly happen, but they are the posts that will get dozens, sometimes hundreds of replies. Whereas this experience, which tallies very much with own travel experience (including a recent trip to Mexico as it happens, and I also got the personal welcome to Mexico from the local crew), simply won't get the traction.

There is nothing wrong with that, but so long as travellers appreciate that the exceptions are exactly that, and that inflated expectations are probably the wrong place to start, overwhelmingly flying on BA is a pleasure. A great airline, the catering is often the best of the airlines competing on a given route, with a good service profile, fantastic crews and the aircraft are generally clean. Though we often gripe about the management, the fact is that a profitable airline now goes to all sorts of interesting places. Of the new routes Charleston is an absolute gem, by the way. So while I am pleased you had a good trip to Mexico - a fascinating, huge country - I am not at all surprised that you had a good flight.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I love the Mexico flights and our Mexican crew they are so hard working and fun.
The announcement they make about their country and culture is a lovely touch.
alex67500 and wijibintheair like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I haven't been to Mexico in years, but share your on board thoughts of the current service. I've had some superb flights recently.
wijibintheair likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.