Wiki Posts
Search

InchDairnie Centenary Whisky Partnership

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 5:17 am
Original Poster

InchDairnie Centenary Whisky Partnership

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oZdXkVxcFE&feature=youtu.be

British Airways has pored over its 100 year-old history to create a limited-edition whisky with InchDairnie, the modern Scottish distillers. The partnership will culminate with a centenary dram being served up in 2031.

To mark World Whisky Day on May 18, the two British brands have come together to start the 12-year process of creating a limited-edition pour for the airline’s centenary.

British Airways joined the expert distillers at the Fife based distillery to mix malted barley, water and yeast before distilling and pouring it into a bespoke American oak cask once used to mature bourbon. The cask heads are from a red wine cask, made from French oak, in a tribute to the first flight operated by AT&T, the forerunner company of today’s British Airways which flew to Paris in 1919. The American oak is a nod to British Airways, as the airline now makes up to 30 journeys across the Atlantic every day.

Over 12 years the spirit will mature, drawing out vanilla and coconut flavours and a dark colour from the cask, before ageing to create a malty, fruity, Scotch whisky designed to work perfectly at altitude. The cask-aged spirit will then be decanted into 300 limited-edition bottles that will be served exclusively on British Airways flights in 2031.

Kelly Stevenson, British Airways’ Wine and Beverage Manager, said: “Celebrating our centenary is all about honouring our airline’s history, as well as looking to the future. InchDairnie has a modern and innovative approach to whisky distilling and we’ve incorporated touches with a nod to our history. In years to come our customers will be able to enjoy it from the comfort of their seat – we know it will be worth the wait.”

Ian Palmer, Managing Director of InchDairnie, who has been distilling whisky for more than 40 years, said: “We’re delighted we’ve been able to create a very special whisky for British Airways in their very special year. Although we are a new distillery who have a much younger heritage than British Airways, through the use of industry leading technology we are bringing together decades of industry experience and knowledge, enabling us to fine tune one of the most meticulously designed distillation processes in the world.”

Flyers can also own their own bit of history as InchDairnie have created the ultra-exclusive Centenary Cask programme which will be showcased at the airline’s brand new First bar in New York from June. Just 12 casks are being offered exclusively to British Airways customers between now and the end of September, and each cask will have its own unique taste profile.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Just saw this on twitter, came here to find if there was already a thread. As usual, FT BA didn't disappoint.

I admit I'm slightly skeptical of a distillery from Fife, but I'm still quite keen to give it a try.

EDIT: Just saw that it's only being started now with the release date being 2031. Looks like I'll be waiting for a while then. D'oh!

Last edited by Mordac; May 16, 2019 at 5:48 am
Old May 16, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I will be pleased to still be here to take a BA flight in 2031
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:46 am

On one hand it's good to see BA with the brewdog and this tie up use what were small start ups - I appreciate that brewdog is no longer an independent startup.

Shame they didn't use the new distillery which has just opened in Islay. Correct me if I am wrong but I imagine that BA or its predecessors will have flown there at some point.

Surely next a centenary craft gin is required.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cw novice
Surely next a centenary craft gin is required.
There is one already

alex67500 and Cw novice like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mordac
Just saw this on twitter, came here to find if there was already a thread. As usual, FT BA didn't disappoint.

I admit I'm slightly skeptical of a distillery from Fife, but I'm still quite keen to give it a try.

EDIT: Just saw that it's only being started now with the release date being 2031. Looks like I'll be waiting for a while then. D'oh!

You can buy your own cask and drink sooner

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.