Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Forgetting a bag wasn’t going to be interlined.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forgetting a bag wasn’t going to be interlined.

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 10:29 am

There is a recent report in the IB forum of a similar case with a happy resolution: Left luggage at carousel. Whom to contact?

In this case the traveller deliberately left the luggage behind in MAD (arriving with IB) for lack of time to make the check in cutoff for a separate reservation on QR and JL to Japan. JL got the bags shipped to HND for free.
expataus and wanderingjock like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Calchas
VS will find it on WorldTracer, not their own system.

If you were reliant on the final carrier having a record of your lost bag, not many lost interline bags would ever be found. (The problem is usually that the final carrier never received notice it was supposed to receive and deliver the bag.)

Maybe VS will notice it wasn’t interlined to them, maybe VS will find the ticketing information from the bag and figure out it was two tickets, maybe VS will find the PNRs to figure out whether there was no irrops to justify offline forwarding, maybe VS will notice that BA has a policy of not forwarding interline bags across tickets. Or maybe not.
i assume the pax has no baggage tag and number for a bag to his final destination as he did not check the bag in.

World tracer will show tbe bag was correctly delivered to lhr. I doubt vs will then agree to bring the bag to where the pax is.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by expataus
I see nothing to be gained from fraud. The person who forgot their bag is willing to admit it was their mistake and pay for (but hopefully get reimbursed from insurance) the cost of getting the bag sent back to him.

The primary issue is if there’s a company that can collect the bag without him needing to physically return to LHR - either by getting it to a courier, or somehow putting into WorldTracer and then passing on that cost.
if he talks to lost property and they have his bag they can arrange for a courrier. He will have to provide information about the contents in order to confirm it is his bag.
expataus likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by expataus
A colleague [...]
It's alright, you can be honest with us here, nobody will judge you...
expataus and cauchy like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
VS will know nothing about the OP’s bag and have no liability nor ability to help.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Yllanes
There is a recent report in the IB forum of a similar case with a happy resolution: Left luggage at carousel. Whom to contact?

In this case the traveller deliberately left the luggage behind in MAD (arriving with IB) for lack of time to make the check in cutoff for a separate reservation on QR and JL to Japan. JL got the bags shipped to HND for free.
regardless of service, I’d always warn anyone against expecting other airlines to be the same as JL: 8 across sitting on the 787 in Y, 2 free checked bags in y as standard, Salon in F... I don’t mean to be discouraging but...
cauchy likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
i assume the pax has no baggage tag and number for a bag to his final destination as he did not check the bag in.

World tracer will show tbe bag was correctly delivered to lhr. I doubt vs will then agree to bring the bag to where the pax is.
You make it sound like an airline has never incorrectly tagged a bag to a wrong location.

I once had a bag tagged to HEA because the agent had some trouble with the system and decided to type in the codes by hand, and mis-guessed what Heathrow's code would be. Luckily I caught it before it disappeared down the belt. When I lived near LBA there was probably a 50% chance a bag would be mislabelled or misdelivered.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I don’t mean to be discouraging
Are you sure?
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by Calchas; May 18, 2019 at 8:09 am
Old May 18, 2019, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Without going off on unhelpful tangents, this is simply a matter of a bag which was presumably correctly delivered to its final ticketed destination and then not collected. I cannot imagine how many times a day this happens at an airport such as LHR. Likely most often by people who do not generally check bags, then check one, and walk out of the airport forgetting about it.

The bag should be sitting at LHR. OP's "colleague" ought to call BA and make arrangements. It is more than possible that BA baggage cannot be bothered to do anything other than to tag it to him and send it off (as that is less work). So, there is a decent chance that OP gets his bag without any consequences.

There is also the chance that BA advises the "colleague" to find a freight forwarding service to collect the bag and ship it off as a commercial shipment. No way to predict and this likely comes down to one staff member at BA on a given day.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
You make it sound like an airline has never incorrectly tagged a bag to a wrong location.
I check my tags. Once it was tagged to tbe wrong place and someone had to catch the bag at the end of the conveyor.

I am just saying saying world racer will show thd vs agent that the bag was correctly routed to its destination, and there will be no bags associated with the ops vs flight info.

Yes you can get bags courriered.

Yes the vs agent MAY 'take pity' and try to get the bags sent on
Old May 18, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Yes the vs agent MAY 'take pity' and try to get the bags sent on
Again this has NOTHING to do with VS! The only reference to VS is that the colleague had a separate booking with them from LHR-US.

OP made no mention that their colleague told VS they had a bag and it never arrived at their US destination and queried where it was when it didn't arrive at the carousel.

The OP even recognises that BA has the bag and is asking what BA can / will do to get the bag to the colleague.

It would be helpful if the OP could revert back and tell us what their colleague did when they arrived in the US and saw the bag hadn't arrived. or if they themselves realised it hadnt't been checked through and went to the BA desks at the US airport to ask there.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
For those of you playing the home game - turns out that reclaiming luggage once it’s been handed to Heathrow lost property is pretty straightforward.

Give them enough information to demonstrate its your bag and they have a few different service providers who can then ship it anywhere in the world - but it’s not cheap! We didn’t need to call BA - they seemed to move it to lost property pretty quickly.

It would be an amazing business idea if someone was to allow you to interline a bag to FedEx or UPS.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:18 pm

Great, pretty much as per post 18?
expataus likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
Great, pretty much as per post 18?
Yes - almost like this has happened to you before!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.