A sad ending...

Old May 15, 19, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
A sad ending...

I was looking at Google Maps satellite view today of VCV airport in California. Of the BA planes there, I see at least 8 complete 747 and a 767 - plus this one. Does that make it 1.2 BA 767's at VCV? Looks like they saved the cockpit separately.

Old May 16, 19, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
How sad ... although some bits will have a new life.
Old May 16, 19, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is it sad when a car ends up at a scrap yard when it is no longer needed?
Old May 16, 19, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Depends on the car! But it's a very pertinent analogy.
Old May 16, 19, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Funnily enough, Facebook reminded me that it's three years this week since I scrapped my favourite car. I'm still a bit sad about that!
Old May 16, 19, 2:07 am

After the scrapping of the heritage fleet at Cosford, no-one can accuse BA of being sentimental about its machines!
nancypants likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
And yes, it is sad to me. By my book, scrapping something that works is a form of waste, maybe justifiable waste but waste nonetheless.

That's partly why I have stopped buying Ikea stuff: ikea furniture always outlives my love for it and I do feel guilty discarding it when it is "fine" , yet can't stand it any more.
LondonAndy and BearX220 like this.
Old May 16, 19, 3:00 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
And yes, it is sad to me. By my book, scrapping something that works is a form of waste, maybe justifiable waste but waste nonetheless.

That's partly why I have stopped buying Ikea stuff: ikea furniture always outlives my love for it and I do feel guilty discarding it when it is "fine" , yet can't stand it any more.
use craigslist or other such websites to sell your old furniture (ikea or otherwise)

sold a 6 yo ikea sectional for 600$ and bought it new for 900$ back in the day. 2 guys showed up, hauled it away and gave me cash. Much better option tha scrapyard.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If it is a machine of beauty, if it is a vehicle that carried one's dreams and prompts one's memories, or if it is an evocation of fond nostalgia - then yes, it is sad.

I agree that few people would shed tears at a scrapped Ford Sierra, but that's not quite the same as the OP's example. For me, there were some heart-breaking photos of G-BNLL's final moments as a recognisable aircraft, but that was because of a particular connection to that chain of events.
Old May 16, 19, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
If it is a machine of beauty, if it is a vehicle that carried one's dreams and prompts one's memories, or if it is an evocation of fond nostalgia - then yes, it is sad.

I agree that few people would shed tears at a scrapped Ford Sierra, but that's not quite the same as the OP's example. For me, there were some heart-breaking photos of G-BNLL's final moments as a recognisable aircraft, but that was because of a particular connection to that chain of events.
I can't see scrapping of a commercial aeroplane is different to a Ford Sierra - buy vehicle , use vehicle, sell or scrap vehicle seems to be a normal process ; in this case it was scrapped by BA - if it had been offered a higher amount by another company that wanted to continue using it, I expect that it would have done
Misco60 and nancypants like this.
Old May 16, 19, 3:49 am

If it was a Ford Sierra, I'd take it to the scrapyard myself..
nancypants likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 3:52 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
It is funny how we get attached to things, and yes it is sad when something as magnificent as a machine, which represents many hours of work ends up as scrap. It is illogical as obsolesence has always been part of the air and car industry. I felt sad when the DC-10s finally went as they were lovely aircraft which survived in spite of two horrendous accidents that meant the grounding of all DC10s at one point in 1979. It nearly broke BCAL. Still when I see the antiquated old hulks still plying around the USA (MD80s are still flying for AA - who flies them still in Europe? Volotea have the Boeing 717 I know).Still onward and upwards!
NoY likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 3:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I can't see scrapping of a commercial aeroplane is different to a Ford Sierra - buy vehicle , use vehicle, sell or scrap vehicle seems to be a normal process ; in this case it was scrapped by BA - if it had been offered a higher amount by another company that wanted to continue using it, I expect that it would have done
It's not nearly as abnormal as you seem to think for people to associate positive memories with certain inanimate objects but not others - where the strength of the association is a function of specific characteristics (size, grandeur, etc...) of the object.
Old May 16, 19, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
buy vehicle , use vehicle, sell or scrap vehicle seems to be a normal process ; in this case it was scrapped by BA
Fully agree with you that it is an entirely normal process, but many of life's normal processes can be sad to any given person for any given reason - people can be sad when they sell the house when their kids grew up even though it may well be a natural process that it no longer suits who they have become and how they now live, they don't have to but they can. They can be sad when they stop being in contact with a friend who mattered to them dearly for years, even if it is a natural consequence of progressive distanciation, and they can be sad to throw away or see the breakage of thing they connect to happy memories, or perhaps just to another stage of their life even if it is something that they haven't used or haven't been for many years - and I am not even talking about the most natural process of them all, one which for many people is symbolically in the background of any of the above examples anyway.
Old May 16, 19, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card

That's the bird that had an unfortunate off piste incident at JNB right?
DeathSlam likes this.

Search this Thread