Wiki Posts
Search

A sad ending...

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Pascoe
That's the bird that had an unfortunate off piste incident at JNB right?
Yes.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
The car comparison is interesting. I went out of my way to have a look round VCV airport when I was travelling in that general area of California (twice!) There is nothing that would entice me to look at any cars (or any other vehicles) in a similar situation. I can't explain why but can see some people find it strange.
deeruck and nancypants like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Still when I see the antiquated old hulks still plying around the USA (MD80s are still flying for AA - who flies them still in Europe? Volotea have the Boeing 717 I know).Still onward and upwards!
Delta got a very good deal on the majority of the 717s in existence, enough so that they had a pretty generous budget for cabin refurbishment, and the result is a generally comfortable and pleasant short haul experience. I do agree that the older Mad Dogs are getting a bit scruffy and rather groan when I get an MD-88 for a flight.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I was looking at Google Maps satellite view today of VCV airport in California. Of the BA planes there, I see at least 8 complete 747 and a 767 - plus this one. Does that make it 1.2 BA 767's at VCV? Looks like they saved the cockpit separately.

Sad only for some.
Long overdue for those of us that have had to fly these ancient wrecks for so long. A 747 for scrap vs a new 787 or 350 is a happy day .
nancypants likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by DFB_london

Sad only for some.
Long overdue for those of us that have had to fly these ancient wrecks for so long. A 747 for scrap vs a new 787 or 350 is a happy day .
I am happy just being in the air most of the time. But only one of those three aircraft actually makes me smile when I see it at the gate, before even boarding. And it's not the 'plastic fantastic' for starters .......
Old May 16, 2019, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
I am happy just being in the air most of the time. But only one of those three aircraft actually makes me smile when I see it at the gate, before even boarding. And it's not the 'plastic fantastic' for starters .......
Once you have had to do long haul twice a month for 20 years your view might change. Quiet non de hydrating comfort wins Every time and frankly I don’t care what it’s made of as long as it’s safe.
(for the record carbon fibre is NOT plastic)
Old May 16, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once you have had to do long haul twice a month for 20 years your view might change. Quiet non de hydrating comfort wins Every time and frankly I don’t care what it’s made of as long as it’s safe.
(for the record carbon fibre is NOT plastic)
Oh dear. I now don't even dare to ask you whether you'd agree with me that the best way of boarding a 747 is using stairs from the tarmac.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by T8191
How sad ... although some bits will have a new life.
Speedbird 100 beer cans?
EDIwanderer and jctech like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Oh dear. I now don't even dare to ask you whether you'd agree with me that the best way of boarding a 747 is using stairs from the tarmac.
And exit via the flight deck emergency egress 'sunroof' in the style of the Dukes of Hazzard????? ;-)
Old May 16, 2019, 1:05 pm

I remember scrapping a Ford Anglia; awful car, glad they’v gone! Same with aeroplanes really but if a plane was a Ford Anglia it would never get off the ground.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And exit via the flight deck emergency egress 'sunroof' in the style of the Dukes of Hazzard????? ;-)
In all seriousness, I did once get an emergency briefing that included how to get out via the flight deck windows and down the rope. I'd been invited to the front end of an 320 for landing at LGW.

Fortunately, none of the times that I've been in a 747 have required me to know even the theory of how to exit via the sunroof as I've either been a passenger or flying at Cranebank.
Pascoe likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Although I have fond memories of an old girlfriends Opel Kadett in the 70's these kind of things don't make me sad. However what I would like to know is how many miles this aircraft flew, all the destinations it flew to and how many passengers it carried during all its years in service.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
A 747 for scrap vs a new 787 or 350 is a happy day .
This was a 767. Given my choice of WT in a 767 or a 787, I know that having slightly more humid air doesn't compensate for having my knees squashed up around my ears because the seats are so tightly packed in
Old May 16, 2019, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jagboi
This was a 767. Given my choice of WT in a 767 or a 787, I know that having slightly more humid air doesn't compensate for having my knees squashed up around my ears because the seats are so tightly packed in
If 767s were not being retired , then it would not be that unlikely that BA would reconfigure the aeroplanes to fit more seats in them; If BA wanted to have 36" seat pitch in economt and 8 across seating on a 787 it could have done so - however it seems that it has figured that people would not pay the higher fares needed to leave a higher revenue than what it has gone for

In the end it is just an old aeroplane that has reached the end of its commercially viable period and has been scrapped - As far as the thread title goes, what was posted, this does not match the thread title to me
Old May 17, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser

Fortunately, none of the times that I've been in a 747 have required me to know even the theory of how to exit via the sunroof as I've either been a passenger or flying at Cranebank.
Just watch Die Hard II again - John McClane gives a masterclass on cockpit egress via roof hatch under extreme time pressure ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.