Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long haul from A bus gates?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Long haul from A bus gates?

Flying on BA33 to KUL this weekend and it looks as though this flight regularly goes from A10. Why on earth would BA schedule a bus gate for a late night flight with F passengers beginning a 13 hour journey on a bus? Surely there is a spare gate in B or C at that time?
Old May 15, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My recent BA33 was from B gates, and I don’t agree that it’s a late night flight! I’ve had plenty of bus gates at DOH at 1/2am!
Old May 15, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by aristoph
Flying on BA33 to KUL this weekend and it looks as though this flight regularly goes from A10. Why on earth would BA schedule a bus gate for a late night flight with F passengers beginning a 13 hour journey on a bus? Surely there is a spare gate in B or C at that time?
Hi,

Be grateful it is not a 744!! ( I have had a few of those but not recently) I think the use of A10 has reduced compared to a few years ago but it is not that unsual to see a long haul flight with A10 against it in the display screens in the lounges.

Regards

TBS
Old May 15, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve had the full-on bus treatment from A10 to both JNB and JFK - I assume this is just (random-ish) stand allocation which doesn’t take into account the merits of a particular flight.

And in any case if you’re an airport/airline/areoplan buff you can take some pleasure from the experience of being close up to all the aircraft; if not, well, you’ve thirteen hours to enjoy the best of BA, functioning F loos on the 789 permitting
Old May 15, 2019, 3:54 pm

My one Kul flight was from the B-Gates.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BA235
I’ve had the full-on bus treatment from A10 to both JNB and JFK - I assume this is just (random-ish) stand allocation which doesn’t take into account the merits of a particular flight.

And in any case if you’re an airport/airline/areoplan buff you can take some pleasure from the experience of being close up to all the aircraft; if not, well, you’ve thirteen hours to enjoy the best of BA, functioning F loos on the 789 permitting
Loo singular.
orbitmic and SkyTeem like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
FWIW:-
08 May - B36
09 May - C56
10 May - C65
11 May - C62
12 May - C53
13 May - A10
14 May - A10
15 May - A10
Old May 15, 2019, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
FWIW:-
08 May - B36
09 May - C56
10 May - C65
11 May - C62
12 May - C53
13 May - A10
14 May - A10
15 May - A10
interesting! So just the past few days when I have been checking on it then.

My default with BA longhaul (unless I’m in in F, which sadly I am not this time) is to head to the B lounge. So I will ask any bag drop and hope they know already.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have had a flight to BOS depart from an A bus gate - the upside was the gate was right below the CCR, so I got to enjoy extra time there. The downside was that ‘priority’ boarding really just meant extra time on the bus, with of course a lot of standing in a queue up the stairs to the aircraft at the other end anyway: not the best ground experience for an F ticket

this was for the 8pm BOS flight on a Sunday night, so clearly a more peak time business travel slot (for those Monday morning US meetings) and not a time you’d expect LHR to be all that busy at the stands!
Old May 16, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
What day are you flying? Can monitor and find out where the inbound is parked

EDIT: Having just had a look, it seems to come in as BA242 from MEX at 1435. With that long a ground time, there's a chance it could be towed off (not that the last few I checked were!).

Last edited by fluffymitten; May 16, 2019 at 2:17 am
Old May 16, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by aristoph
Surely there is a spare gate in B or C at that time?
But there may not have been when the aircraft arrived from its previous destination
Old May 16, 2019, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
What day are you flying? Can monitor and find out where the inbound is parked

EDIT: Having just had a look, it seems to come in as BA242 from MEX at 1435. With that long a ground time, there's a chance it could be towed off (not that the last few I checked were!).
Interesting. How do you monitor this?
Old May 16, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I had a 787 to ICN depart from the A bus gates.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
All sorts of long hauls go from A10. I don't think that there is a pattern. As a CCR visitor, I personally prefer to go from A10 than from the C gates I must say.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I've never departed A gates on widebody longhaul but have arrived and been bussed in a few times. Which actually suits me fine tbh as 1) I am not that precious about a short hop on a bus even if in F for the rest of the journey and 2) I more often than not travel HBO, so it's pretty much the quickest day from a/c doors to my Uber home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.