Long haul from A bus gates?

Old May 16, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by aristoph
Interesting. How do you monitor this?
I don't know how Fluffy did it, but Flightradar24 sometimes shows the registration of the next flight or two in the history of a flight number. If you can find out which aircraft you'll be flying on, then you can see where it has been doing recently.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peter h
I don't know how Fluffy did it, but Flightradar24 sometimes shows the registration of the next flight or two in the history of a flight number. If you can find out which aircraft you'll be flying on, then you can see where it has been doing recently.
that bit I get, but how do you see which gate an arriving plane went to?
Old May 16, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by aristoph

that bit I get, but how do you see which gate an arriving plane went to?
Google? However, what I took from the post was that no matter what gate the incoming flight arrived at, the gap until the aircraft's next flight was so long that it had to be towed to a remote stand to free up the gate.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Just be grateful you arent arriving on flybe where the T2 stand is actually closer to hatton cross tube station that T2

cs
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:33 am

Could some aspect of the inbound or outbound freight make a tow to cargoloand between flights worthwhile?
Old May 16, 2019, 5:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Now that the 767s are gone, you can't say any particular service is likely to run from A10 any more. Some days A10 is just for half a dozen services. Management maintains a tight focus on on-time departures - rightly so. Consequently if they know they have to load a full 777 in 20 minutes flat and boarding can only start 25 minutes before departure, that won't be a service going from A10. On the other hand, the ability to prevent people boarding after T-20 is much easier from A10 - if the bus has gone, the bus has gone. So if they have an aircraft somewhere out in the park, fully ready to go, with perhaps only a 60% passenger load, then that would be in the frame for A10 since getting that to depart on time would be much easier.

Incidentally, and depending which stand is used, it sometimes saves 5 or 10 minutes of taxiing to the runway if a remote stand is used. Moving off an airbridge is a bit like playing 3 dimensional chess.

I also prefer A10 departures, 5 minutes from security, 5 minutes from the T5A lounges. I just turn up about 30 minutes to departure.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Incidentally, and depending which stand is used, it sometimes saves 5 or 10 minutes of taxiing to the runway if a remote stand is used. Moving off an airbridge is a bit like playing 3 dimensional chess.
Fully admit I am being a terrible pedant here but unless BA are introducing a fleet of F35s in addition to the A350 later this year, surely it's still just two dimensional. I can't recall any flight I was on getting airborne until at least a little further from the gate ;-)
Old May 16, 2019, 6:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Fully admit I am being a terrible pedant here but unless BA are introducing a fleet of F35s in addition to the A350 later this year, surely it's still just two dimensional. I can't recall any flight I was on getting airborne until at least a little further from the gate ;-)
Well, to point out one obvious factor, when something pulls out of A1, it may think it has a clear path, at that precise moment in time it has a clear path, but what has also to be taken into account is that in 30 seconds time A3 will also pull out. So time / forward anticipation is the third dimension here. Bit like chess.
Pascoe likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:31 am

My IAD the other week was from A10 and to what felt like a semi remote stand at the end of T5C. I can't recall if we went in and via an airbridge as don't recall ever doing high steps on a 747!
I was running slightly late but didn't see any premium buses for us in F.
Apart from that overall actually felt a bit quicker.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.