Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Price more expensive on phone than app but not charged offline fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.

Was trying to book a return london to glasgow on app; but kept reporting error, try later on stage 5/5 in the process

Tried website; again error reported after credit card accepted

Telephoned silver-line; They made booking but was £30 more expensive than online quoted price ; he assured me he wasn’t charging me an offline fee.

Anyone know the reason
a. why the booking kept crashing, (I made an Amsterdam booking no probs with same credit card etc)
b. why the price was more expensive.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by allturnleft
Was trying to book a return london to glasgow on app; but kept reporting error, try later on stage 5/5 in the process

Tried website; again error reported after credit card accepted

Telephoned silver-line; They made booking but was £30 more expensive than online quoted price ; he assured me he wasn’t charging me an offline fee.

Anyone know the reason
a. why the booking kept crashing, (I made an Amsterdam booking no probs with same credit card etc)
b. why the price was more expensive.
My most likely guess is false availability on ba.com or it changed as you were trying to book. The offline service fee is £10 per person anyway the £30 offline service fee would be applicable for changes on ecisting bookings.
navylad likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Do all agents know when they are seeing an offline fee, given that IME it seems to be added to the base fare rather than charged as a separate item of TFC?

I wonder whether the true availability was perhaps in a booking class that cost £10 more each way, and then a £10 offline fee was built into the base fare quoted. Or some other combination of similar circumstances. But I find these situations quite hard to debug unless the person knows what the original booking class and base fare were, and what they have actually ended up paying.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Do all agents know when they are seeing an offline fee, given that IME it seems to be added to the base fare rather than charged as a separate item of TFC?

I wonder whether the true availability was perhaps in a booking class that cost £10 more each way, and then a £10 offline fee was built into the base fare quoted. Or some other combination of similar circumstances. But I find these situations quite hard to debug unless the person knows what the original booking class and base fare were, and what they have actually ended up paying.
The popup ‘quote box’ when quoting a price initially shows the fare, tax fees and charges then booking fee per person and total for booking fees so yes an agent would know if they are charging it. There is another popup before confirming total and going to payment which says service fee yes or no. Then if the agent selects no the system asks for waiver code. An agent knows if they are charging it or not. Also looking at a booking that has been setup there is a separate line in the booking if service fee was charged. So yes if you call up it should be easy to find out if the offline fee was charged.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:18 pm

I dont know why you wouldnt think it was just a case of availability changing? That is the most likely and most simple explanation based on the fact the booking wouldnt complete online.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all very odd
The cheaper fare still quoted on line but the fact it wont go through must mean a problem with the quote.?
Old May 16, 2019, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anonba
I dont know why you wouldnt think it was just a case of availability changing? That is the most likely and most simple explanation based on the fact the booking wouldnt complete online.
It certainly could be. Sorry, I didn't mean to cast doubt on that explanation.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cheaper fare still quoted on line but the fact it wont go through must mean a problem with the quote.?
If you can still see it, can you tell us the route, the booking class for each flight and the base fare?

And the same for what you've actually booked?
Old May 16, 2019, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks
The App shows Class I both ways
my actual booking shows R out I back
Old May 16, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The App shows Class I both ways
my actual booking shows R out I back
Is this LGW-GLA-LGW? If, so then using some random dates it looks like the lowest theoretical I/I fare is £30 less than the lowest theoretical R/I fare, so on this route it looks like Anonba's first guess of phantom availability and no offline fee would be correct.

If it were LHR-GLA-LHR, the differential between the lowest theoretical fares on those dates is £20, which could suggest that a £10 has been added on. But that seems unlikely, given that the agent categorically told you that there was no offline fee, and such a fee should have been visible to them.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Is this LGW-GLA-LGW? If, so then using some random dates it looks like the lowest theoretical I/I fare is £30 less than the lowest theoretical R/I fare, so on this route it looks like Anonba's first guess of phantom availability and no offline fee would be correct.

If it were LHR-GLA-LHR, the differential between the lowest theoretical fares on those dates is £20, which could suggest that a £10 has been added on. But that seems unlikely, given that the agent categorically told you that there was no offline fee, and such a fee should have been visible to them.
Well diagnosed it was the LGW /LCY

Why do phantom fares persist?
Old May 16, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do phantom fares persist?
At a guess, some caching somewhere that's locked a false availability number in for I class on the outbound flight, when the true figure is I0 and you need to book in R class. If you check the website rather than the app to see whether you get the same issue, that would point to whether it's specifically an app problem. Also, if you look on EF at availability numbers for the flight, you'd see what the true figure is and whether the app's offer of an I class seat on that flight is just wrong.
allturnleft likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.