Wiki Posts
Search

Business class to bangkok

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: British airways
Business class to bangkok

i recently flew business class to both Cape Town and Mauritius. The fares were expensive but the in flight experience hugely disappointing
the 777 flown were old, the seat tired, the tv and sound system terrible and the food awful. When I spoke to the cabin director on both the flights they were polite but unable to offer any advice other than “write to BA” as they don’t listen to crew.
im going to Bangkok in November and again it shows a 777-200 aircraft
does anyone have any knowledge of this route and the planes used ie have they been upgraded?
Old May 15, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Dermot67
i recently flew business class to both Cape Town and Mauritius. The fares were expensive but the in flight experience hugely disappointing
the 777 flown were old, the seat tired, the tv and sound system terrible and the food awful. When I spoke to the cabin director on both the flights they were polite but unable to offer any advice other than “write to BA” as they don’t listen to crew.
im going to Bangkok in November and again it shows a 777-200 aircraft
does anyone have any knowledge of this route and the planes used ie have they been upgraded?
Other posts here make similar comments about LHR-BKK (although some commentators dispute it), so best to keep expectations low. I had a similar experience to Vancouver which seems to arouse similar commentary. I had a good seat (747 CW upper deck, window with direct aisle access due to emergency exit) but the shine was taken off it by ageing equipment and lacklustre/flappy crew (very junior girl being overly mentored by a much older woman, although this consisted mainly of gossip).

At one point I asked for some more wine and just got a harrassed look and was told "in a minute but I have to look after ..." accompanied by a vague and exasperated arm flap toward the front, which after a while I realised was meant to mean the pilots - not entirely reassuring. She forgot the wine later too.

It's only my impression but I get the impression from here that some routes are low revenue and get the most tired planes and demoralised crew. Unfortunately Bangkok seems to be regarded as one of them, although I don't speak from personal experience.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
There is a recent thread somewhere on FT about BA to BKK. It can be summed up as "you will be disappointed again".

If you haven't booked it yet, maybe go on TG (should be a better experience), or if tier points are relevant for this decision, you may want to route via HEL, HKG or KUL.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
My first choice to BKK would be QR via Doha. My second choice would be AY via Helsinki. I'd avoid the direct BA service wherever possible.
argonath, nivsy, mikeyfly and 3 others like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Sadly I'm in agreement with what has been said above. I've only started travelling much since turn of the year and now Gold but if an older plane is used by BA I tend to purposefully re-route myself on another OW carrier even with non-direct / longer routings. QR is a favourite for that part of the world, although heard good things about CX.
nivsy likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mike P
My first choice to BKK would be QR via Doha. My second choice would be AY via Helsinki. I'd avoid the direct BA service wherever possible.
This matches my views on BKK. AY has a shorter routing but slightly inferior hard product compared to QR.

BA will start refurbishing LHR's 777s later this year but these routes will be a lottery for a few years yet.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:58 am

I don't have experience of this particular destination but I can vouch strongly for Hong Kong (BA or CX) as a routing in general.

It's a high-revenue route and CX from LGW-HKG has the A350 and good prices (I used it for Tokyo), while BA has either the A380 or the newest of the 777s (I believe?). And then you get the fabulous Hong Kong CX lounges for a shower, noodles, tea room (Pier) etc. to make you feel like you're in Asia already, and a 3 hr transfer to Bangkok.

Can't vouch for the aircraft on the latter but it's all modern equipment as far as Hong Kong and a great transit experience once there. Personally I'd much rather either stay awake (Eastbound) or sleep (West) for a 12 hour journey and then change, than do the Doha thing midway.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I have an open jaw booked using UUA (LHR > KUL and then flying back BKK > LHR). I would have booked QR or CX but needed to book UUA on this occasion, however, upon reading this thread, I kind of wish I hadn't! It's my first time going to BKK so was unaware BA are yet to update the 777s.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:06 pm

Paren likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Change BA9 to depart at 22:00 hrs and BA10 to depart at 23:00 hrs and the moaning would stop because the CW passengers would be sleeping.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
So why does the Bangkok route get such a bad rep with BA? Is it a route the cabin crew don't like doing or something or is it just the aircraft?
Old May 15, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft
Change BA9 to depart at 22:00 hrs and BA10 to depart at 23:00 hrs and the moaning would stop because the CW passengers would be sleeping.
Exactly this ! Kind of similar to what it used to be on the way to SYD.
mrow likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:26 pm

@Padmeister Plenty of discussion in the threads linked above.

This post stood out for me as sounding fairly plausible as to explanation.
Padmeister likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Padmeister
So why does the Bangkok route get such a bad rep with BA? Is it a route the cabin crew don't like doing or something or is it just the aircraft?
It’s the timings, bad both ways for jet lag and tiredness, I don’t fly any long haul route with bad timings like this.
Padmeister likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:56 pm

Plus stories of broken seats (all classes) & poor IFE on board some of the oldest 772’s in the fleet.
Padmeister likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.