787-9 first without washroom

Reply

Old May 15, 19, 7:38 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
787-9 first without washroom

On 13th May I took the BA242 from MEX to LHR in First and the only washroom in that cabin was out of service which caused the predictable and tedious inconveniences. On investigation I discovered that the aircraft had been dispatched from LHR in this condition. In fact the same aircraft operated the same rotation on the 11th May also without a working washroom in First. I would have appreciated a warning from BA about this situation so I could have switched my travel plans. And the in-seat power was out of service too, which if they had warned us about in the lounge I could at least have charged all my devices before boarding.

I don't fly much with BA these days, but is this a common occurrence?
mint1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 7:43 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 23,625
Originally Posted by mint1 View Post
On 13th May I took the BA242 from MEX to LHR in First and the only washroom in that cabin was out of service which caused the predictable and tedious inconveniences. On investigation I discovered that the aircraft had been dispatched from LHR in this condition. In fact the same aircraft operated the same rotation on the 11th May also without a working washroom in First. I would have appreciated a warning from BA about this situation so I could have switched my travel plans. And the in-seat power was out of service too, which if they had warned us about in the lounge I could at least have charged all my devices before boarding.

I don't fly much with BA these days, but is this a common occurrence?
Certainly not a common occurrence though not unheard of. The failing power is definitely less rare than it ought to be in my views, Iíve had it a few times this year though mostly on ageing 747s.
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 7:52 am
  #3  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N/A
Programs: Go Fish
Posts: 4,239
BA made a mistake in installing just one lavatory for 4 pilots, 8 passengers and 2/3 cabin crew members - thats where the mistake happened. Everything after that is just a consequence...
nufnuf77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 7:58 am
  #4  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,145
Not really ideal having a non functioning washroom in F but these things do unfortunately happen and on other airlines too, it's more plane specific than company specific. It's better the flight goes and I don't think BA would cancel a flight because of that but I understand it wasn't ideal and it's certainly not common in my experiences over the years.

Did you raise it onboard? You can contact customer relations and see what they say or offer.

Finally a warm welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board mint1 seeing as my fellow Ambassador @orbitmic forgot to do so
nancypants, navylad and orbitmic like this.
PETER01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 8:09 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Posts: 2,511
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
Not really ideal having a non functioning washroom in F but these things do unfortunately happen and on other airlines too, it's more plane specific than company specific. It's better the flight goes and I don't think BA would cancel a flight because of that but I understand it wasn't ideal and it's certainly not common in my experiences over the years.
It's company specific rather than plane specific in the sense that the other F cabins on the 787 have two bathrooms. In fact, I think almost every other 8 seat F cabin in existence does.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; May 15, 19 at 8:27 am
lost_in_translation is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 8:31 am
  #6  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,145
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
It's company specific rather than plane specific in the sense that the other F cabins on the 787 have two bathrooms. In fact, I think almost every other 8 seat F cabin in existence does.
I stand corrected then, thanks, and thinking about it a bit more a lot of F8 seated cabins do have 2 toilets although there's not many do the 789 in F I believe.
PETER01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 9:10 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold | Hhonors Gold
Posts: 154
Has happened to me on two recent flights, redeyes from EWR and BOS. 787-8 and 787-9. Not a major issue, although quite annoying, but didn't bother complaining.
DrBenO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 10:23 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,093
Do 787-8 have F ?
gw76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 10:40 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 14,754
The BA ones donít.
Can I help you is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 10:48 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 294
I realise this is not a great situation but would you actually change travel plans because of no washroom !?! Just a few steps back to J cabin would sort it ? No ?
THEOBCMAN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 11:40 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 1,155
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN View Post
I realise this is not a great situation but would you actually change travel plans because of no washroom !?! Just a few steps back to J cabin would sort it ? No ?
This is FT! Here, if the number of responses is anything to go by, knowing that the guy in 1A will be bringing McNuggets on board would be enough to make some change their plans. I assume no F washroom = longer wait for the facilities, and that represents a legitimate grounds for complaint, IMHO, even if actual changing one's flight would seem a little drastic as a response.
CCayley is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 11:45 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Posts: 2,551
Originally Posted by CCayley View Post
This is FT! Here, if the number of responses is anything to go by, knowing that the guy in 1A will be bringing McNuggets on board would be enough to make some change their plans. I assume no F washroom = longer wait for the facilities, and that represents a legitimate grounds for complaint, IMHO, even if actual changing one's flight would seem a little drastic as a response.
Whilst one might make that assumption, it would be interesting to hear what the actual effect was, perhaps the OP can enlighten us.

Clearly from the responses though that closed washrooms in F is certainly not unique to BA and perhaps this thread should be moved to a home where all those effected by what on the face of it does seam trivial problems can contribute.
Tudway and THEOBCMAN like this.
navylad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 11:53 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 294
Whilst there are definite grounds for complaint along with no seat power, 15-20K Avios I would be asking for & just get on with it rather than changing travel plans !
THEOBCMAN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 12:04 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC Gold, UAMP Silver, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
Posts: 325
BA has an incredibly poor track record in letting customers know about operational changes. A few times this year alone I ended up on a different CW seat (obvs much worse than the one carefully selected in advance) and nobody bothered telling me in advance so I could try and sort out a mitigation plan.

I do understand the OP frustration. I guess one flies F also for the privacy and secluded atmosphere of the cabin. Having to mix and mingle in a larger environment could be a just cause for swapping flights - if one is told, of course.
frandrake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 19, 2:29 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 23,625
Originally Posted by gw76 View Post
Do 787-8 have F ?
788 are very small planes, mostly there to replace long haul 767. Iím sure some airlines may have fitted F but I canít actually think of any among the airlines I fly regularly. Even many have chosen not to on 789s.
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread