Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787-9 first without washroom

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 7:38 am
Original Poster

787-9 first without washroom

On 13th May I took the BA242 from MEX to LHR in First and the only washroom in that cabin was out of service which caused the predictable and tedious inconveniences. On investigation I discovered that the aircraft had been dispatched from LHR in this condition. In fact the same aircraft operated the same rotation on the 11th May also without a working washroom in First. I would have appreciated a warning from BA about this situation so I could have switched my travel plans. And the in-seat power was out of service too, which if they had warned us about in the lounge I could at least have charged all my devices before boarding.

I don't fly much with BA these days, but is this a common occurrence?
Old May 15, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mint1
On 13th May I took the BA242 from MEX to LHR in First and the only washroom in that cabin was out of service which caused the predictable and tedious inconveniences. On investigation I discovered that the aircraft had been dispatched from LHR in this condition. In fact the same aircraft operated the same rotation on the 11th May also without a working washroom in First. I would have appreciated a warning from BA about this situation so I could have switched my travel plans. And the in-seat power was out of service too, which if they had warned us about in the lounge I could at least have charged all my devices before boarding.

I don't fly much with BA these days, but is this a common occurrence?
Certainly not a common occurrence though not unheard of. The failing power is definitely less rare than it ought to be in my views, I’ve had it a few times this year though mostly on ageing 747s.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
BA made a mistake in installing just one lavatory for 4 pilots, 8 passengers and 2/3 cabin crew members - thats where the mistake happened. Everything after that is just a consequence...
Old May 15, 2019, 7:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Not really ideal having a non functioning washroom in F but these things do unfortunately happen and on other airlines too, it's more plane specific than company specific. It's better the flight goes and I don't think BA would cancel a flight because of that but I understand it wasn't ideal and it's certainly not common in my experiences over the years.

Did you raise it onboard? You can contact customer relations and see what they say or offer.

Finally a warm welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board mint1 seeing as my fellow Ambassador @orbitmic forgot to do so
nancypants, navylad and orbitmic like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by PETER01
Not really ideal having a non functioning washroom in F but these things do unfortunately happen and on other airlines too, it's more plane specific than company specific. It's better the flight goes and I don't think BA would cancel a flight because of that but I understand it wasn't ideal and it's certainly not common in my experiences over the years.
It's company specific rather than plane specific in the sense that the other F cabins on the 787 have two bathrooms. In fact, I think almost every other 8 seat F cabin in existence does.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; May 15, 2019 at 8:27 am
Old May 15, 2019, 8:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
It's company specific rather than plane specific in the sense that the other F cabins on the 787 have two bathrooms. In fact, I think almost every other 8 seat F cabin in existence does.
I stand corrected then, thanks, and thinking about it a bit more a lot of F8 seated cabins do have 2 toilets although there's not many do the 789 in F I believe.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum
Has happened to me on two recent flights, redeyes from EWR and BOS. 787-8 and 787-9. Not a major issue, although quite annoying, but didn't bother complaining.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:23 am

Do 787-8 have F ?
Old May 15, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The BA ones don’t.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I realise this is not a great situation but would you actually change travel plans because of no washroom !?! Just a few steps back to J cabin would sort it ? No ?
Old May 15, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
I realise this is not a great situation but would you actually change travel plans because of no washroom !?! Just a few steps back to J cabin would sort it ? No ?
This is FT! Here, if the number of responses is anything to go by, knowing that the guy in 1A will be bringing McNuggets on board would be enough to make some change their plans. I assume no F washroom = longer wait for the facilities, and that represents a legitimate grounds for complaint, IMHO, even if actual changing one's flight would seem a little drastic as a response.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by CCayley
This is FT! Here, if the number of responses is anything to go by, knowing that the guy in 1A will be bringing McNuggets on board would be enough to make some change their plans. I assume no F washroom = longer wait for the facilities, and that represents a legitimate grounds for complaint, IMHO, even if actual changing one's flight would seem a little drastic as a response.
Whilst one might make that assumption, it would be interesting to hear what the actual effect was, perhaps the OP can enlighten us.

Clearly from the responses though that closed washrooms in F is certainly not unique to BA and perhaps this thread should be moved to a home where all those effected by what on the face of it does seam trivial problems can contribute.
Tudway and THEOBCMAN like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Whilst there are definite grounds for complaint along with no seat power, 15-20K Avios I would be asking for & just get on with it rather than changing travel plans !
Old May 15, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
BA has an incredibly poor track record in letting customers know about operational changes. A few times this year alone I ended up on a different CW seat (obvs much worse than the one carefully selected in advance) and nobody bothered telling me in advance so I could try and sort out a mitigation plan.

I do understand the OP frustration. I guess one flies F also for the privacy and secluded atmosphere of the cabin. Having to mix and mingle in a larger environment could be a just cause for swapping flights - if one is told, of course.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gw76
Do 787-8 have F ?
788 are very small planes, mostly there to replace long haul 767. I’m sure some airlines may have fitted F but I can’t actually think of any among the airlines I fly regularly. Even many have chosen not to on 789s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.