Preflight champagne......in CE?

Old May 14, 2019, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Preflight champagne......in CE?

Flew recently from Brussels and was offered a glass of champagne on taking my seat. Is this normal?

No water, OJ etc, just champagne.

There wasn’t any delay, and there was a full bar service during the flight.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Flew recently from Brussels and was offered a glass of champagne on taking my seat. Is this normal?

No water, OJ etc, just champagne.

There wasn’t any delay, and there was a full bar service during the flight.
No it is not normal, it is not part of the Club Europe service standard.

Probably a Mixed Fleet crew, who operate both longhaul and shorthaul and sometimes get confused, given the different service standards that apply to each. Or a Senior Crew Member who was fully aware of the correct service standard but decided to go “off piste”.
nivsy, vantage03 and nancypants like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bar Operator

No it is not normal, it is not part of the Club Europe service standard.

Probably a Mixed Fleet crew, who operate both longhaul and shorthaul and sometimes get confused, given the different service standards that apply to each. Or a Senior Crew Member who was fully aware of the correct service standard but decided to go “off piste”.
Thereby making sure the passengers were "on piste"

Doc Copper
Old May 14, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
that's very unusual - would be nice if BA did actually do this though...American manage drinks before departure in domestic First and I always quite enjoy it - eases you into the flight, and makes early boarding a bit more appealing if there's a G&T to while away the time to pushback!
T8191, twincheeks and JayeJ like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
GIven the short flight time from BRU to LHR, it's a practical thing to do. I don't think I've seen it happen though.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by ratypus
that's very unusual - would be nice if BA did actually do this though...American manage drinks before departure in domestic First and I always quite enjoy it - eases you into the flight, and makes early boarding a bit more appealing if there's a G&T to while away the time to pushback!
Also with American they automatically know what you're on and either asked me if I would like another after takeoff or same again during post takeoff service.
T8191 and twincheeks like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Exec
That does sound rather nice but how large are their domestic First Class cabins ? Some of the Club Europe cabins have a capacity of 48 passengers or more ...it would be impossible to offer such a service on those flights.
flygirl68 and Talking Penguin like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
That's assuming you get a PDB. It's often hit and miss. There's a thread on the AA page dedicated to the where, when and why not of PDBs. On my last LAS - LAX trip there was no PDB on the outward journey, but a full bar PDB on the return. Sometimes it's just OJ and water, sometimes whatever you like, sometimes nothing at all. For a guaranteed PDB it's best to stay in the lounge and board last

Originally Posted by Bar Operator
That does sound rather nice but how large are their domestic First Class cabins ? Some of the Club Europe cabins have a capacity of 48 passengers or more ...it would be impossible to offer such a service on those flights.
It varies depending on aircraft type but no more than four rows, so 16 passengers in total.
HIDDY and Tobias-UK like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:19 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
It would be a great differentiator - even if were water. Would get those sitting behind the as yet not shut curtain something to env y and might encourage some upsells.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just Champagne? That's ridiculous!!
Amygdala28, rockflyertalk and freQ like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
It would be a great differentiator - even if were water. Would get those sitting behind the as yet not shut curtain something to env y and might encourage some upsells.
I can assure you that those of us sitting behind the curtain (as I usually am on short-haul) do not envy the pre-departure drink and tiny meal for which you've often paid a hundred pounds or more.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:48 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Misco60
I can assure you that those of us sitting behind the curtain (as I usually am on short-haul) do not envy the pre-departure drink and tiny meal for which you've often paid a hundred pounds or more.
often it's not much more at all.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Yvr to Lhr May 12 2019

Premium Economy only received orange juice....blah
Old May 14, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
It varies depending on aircraft type but no more than four rows, so 16 passengers in total.
On 767s, A321Ts (in J) and 777s on domestic flights where cabins are quite a bit bigger than 16 seats I normally find you have a tray of orange juice and water are brought around.

I fly AA FC a fair amount and I'd say I have about a 95% hit rate in terms of getting a full offering of PDBs.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Just Champagne? That's ridiculous!!
Rubbish, and you know it
HIDDY likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.