Wiki Posts
Search

BA Silver status for.... 3000EUR

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 1:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They have a similar system to GGLs - do 60 nights at a Hilton / Hilton group hotels and you get a Gold partner card.
Thanks for the reminder. I'd completely forgotten I had one of these to sell gift.

EDIT: It's apparently too late. Needed to be done by end Jan 2019.

Last edited by golfmad; May 14, 2019 at 1:20 am
Old May 14, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by joejet
i know someone who bought ba silver for us$500 on ebay, they got nearly 2 years as they bought it just after there renewal.

good value if you don’t get caught - I have about 850k avios so i would not risk anything like that.

I am confused. How does that even work logistically. It's a named thing, a BAEC account, and airline reservations usually include some check of your name, passport etc.

Maybe I am just being dense..... Not bothered btw - don't need it. Just piqued my interest...
Old May 14, 2019, 6:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pascoe
I am confused. How does that even work logistically. It's a named thing, a BAEC account, and airline reservations usually include some check of your name, passport etc.

Maybe I am just being dense..... Not bothered btw - don't need it. Just piqued my interest...
I assume given as a partner card.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:29 am

A GGL member can nominate someone from their friends and family list to have a silver or gold card but it's against the terms and conditions to sell that gift.
David_Doyle and orbitmic like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
A GGL member can nominate someone from their friends and family list to have a silver or gold card but it's against the terms and conditions to sell that gift.
Ah so then if you buy one of these things on eBay then the assumption is the seller is the GGL member and would add you to their friends and family list and then inform BA that they want you to have the card?

If so, how would BA know that you're NOT friends and family? Simply booking patterns indicating never having shared itineraries with the GGL 'donor'?
Old May 14, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Boy, I sure wish someone would gift me Gold status, As I will never reach that raricied status on my own.

This year I'm struggling to renew Silver status on TP's, but next year I should be fine on flight segments.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:34 am

Ah so then if you buy one of these things on eBay then the assumption is the seller is the GGL member and would add you to their friends and family list and then inform BA that they want you to have the card?

If so, how would BA know that you're NOT friends and family? Simply booking patterns indicating never having shared itineraries with the GGL 'donor'?
They would probably never know but that's not really the point. If it happens on a regular basis there's a reasonable chance that the benefit will be withdrawn for everyone. It's therefore extremely selfish for people to break the rules for personal gain.

I appear to have clambered aboard my moral high-horse.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If so, how would BA know that you're NOT friends and family?
Have you seen the film Green Card? Same thing, they come around and interview you
golfmad likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:41 am

I am just a bit stunned someone would go to all that effort to get a 'free' bacon sarnie out of a packed GC South on a busy Monday morning.....
Old May 14, 2019, 6:47 am

I'm more stunned that someone who is able to fly enough to reach GGL would risk having it taken away for £500.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I'm more stunned that someone who is able to fly enough to reach GGL would risk having it taken away for £500.
That also.....

Unless of course someone is offering to buy it from THEM for 3k and then flogging it on to multiple suckers on eBay for 500 a time
Old May 14, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Quite simple, this morning there was a deal for AMS-LAX in business class. A simple AMS-LHR-JFK-LAX return would get you to silver and it cost 1400 euros. You get a decent chunk of Avios in return too.

I don't know why people would pay for this (I've seen gold being sold for less, which makes it more of an interesting question).
Old May 15, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
This was news to me - onto eBay I went. And I ended up buying Gold Marriott status for £40.

Over this year I have stayed in Marriott group hotels on every trip - not intentionally - just they have been the best or most value, I have wracked up 26 nights in Marriott hotels and my 2 nights next week in ORD are also in a Marriott W hotel. I have been really annoyed that as I didn't book direct I got no points or status. So onto Gold I went. Its valid for 2 years and I am hoping that I can make use of the free upgrade when I check in.
frandrake and let_BAegones_be like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
I assume given as a partner card.
Out of interest, I had a look on eBay and on a slightly different theme, there's a couple of sellers looking to offload their stash of Avios. One seller has 101k Avios currently with 7 bids at £719. The sellers plan is to give you his/her login details to their BAEC after you've paid as per the description on the item: The winning bidder will recieve the login details to my ba account, which they can then use to book flights under their name/s and rename the household account and split the account into your name and add whom ever you choose. Or redeem however you wish.

This doesn't seem right to me!
Old May 17, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
I have to say that £40 investment in Gold for Marriott was great and worth it.

I managed to not only use it to get a cheaper rate than the third party hotel site I had originally booked but also got an upgrade when I booked. My room for 2 nights now cost me £369 but the room I have been given is showing up as £550 on the booking sites. And I will get those loyalty points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.