Search

Compensation offer - upgrade or avios?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Compensation offer - upgrade or avios?

Hi all

Myself and my partner have been offered either a one way space available upgrade voucher or 20k Avios each due to some issues we had on a long haul flight,

What do you think is best here? The voucher could be worth more I suppose, but "space available" seems to mean where there's avios upgrade availability. I asked about using a joker and with it and it didn't seem possible, They did say it would be valid for 1 year but also that it would keep rolling over if there was no availability when I tried to use it. I'm not sure of the meachanics of that if it's valid for one year only.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by booogle
Hi all

Myself and my partner have been offered either a one way space available upgrade voucher or 20k Avios each due to some issues we had on a long haul flight,

What do you think is best here? The voucher could be worth more I suppose, but "space available" seems to mean where there's avios upgrade availability. I asked about using a joker and with it and it didn't seem possible, They did say it would be valid for 1 year but also that it would keep rolling over if there was no availability when I tried to use it. I'm not sure of the meachanics of that if it's valid for one year only.
I believe the compo space upgrade can go into any bucket of said class.... but that its dynamic until check in closes.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Hi all

If you regularly use routes with good reward availability I’d be tempted with the Avios. That would certainly suit me better. YMMV though.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I've just used a space available upgrade. It is literally space available, not related to award availability. I was told the upgrade could happen as late as the departure gate but I saw on the BA app I had been upgraded about 30 hours before departure, long enough before the flight to choose my meal in the new cabin. MMB showed TPs and avios would be earned at the upgraded cabin rate but I received them as per the original booking class, which I expected.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all.

GC UK - To use a space available upgrade, do you make say a WTP booking and then inform them you want to use the upgrade, and then you only find out near check in whether you can use it or not?
Old May 13, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Thanks all.

GC UK - To use a space available upgrade, do you make say a WTP booking and then inform them you want to use the upgrade, and then you only find out near check in whether you can use it or not?
That’s exactly how it works so you need to be prepared to fly in the cabin you book incase space available upgrade doesn’t come through. Mine was also a one way upgrade so could only upgrade one-way.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcuk

That’s exactly how it works so you need to be prepared to fly in the cabin you book incase space available upgrade doesn’t come through. Mine was also a one way upgrade so could only upgrade one-way.
Got it, thanks. Think I'm leaning towards the Avios as I'd like to be able to know which class I'd be flying in and sort good seats before the day of flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.