Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can BA afford its abysmal IT?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by missdimeaner

Pricing up the ticket at over £1000 more. The agent who gave me this price explained it was an economy price not premium economy hence the rather large difference. I did question this as I had done my homework - the difference in taxes/fees was £100 not forgetting the fact it isn’t possible to upgrade two classes with Avios.
I noticed this also happened on the website (when it worked). Luckily I rang again and got an agent who did book it for me at the correct price.
Probably more likely to be changing you incorrectly from a DIF to non DIF fare.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Let's try this a different way. For which transactions (whether or not you can do them online) is the offline fee £35?
Off the top of my head, a multi-centre BA holiday with mixed classes. Eg TATL in business, internal USA in economy and return TATL in business. The multi-centre tool only allows a single class for the entire trip or, if you split it into multiple bookings then you have to have a car or hotel in each booking or it stops being a holiday. As I want to fly from LHR to X, see some sights then fly X to DEN to visit my brother then DEN-LHR this always attracts a £35 fee.

A second case I've been charged is trying to do an open-jaw redemption with a 2-4-1 when both outbound and returns were within the booking window at the time. The agent insisted the fee was only waived when the return leg was outside the booking window when the first leg was booked and the return was added later despite it not being possible to even attempt an open-jaw redemption online.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:16 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
The "Remember Me" tick box so called feature on the opening page of ba.com still doesn't seem to - has been like this for a couple of years now at least. Every time I go to ba.com I have to enter in my Exec number every single time despite the tick being in the box.

All just sloppy, unprofessional and gives the feeling an organisation just CBA to get things right
Old May 14, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOH
The "Remember Me" tick box so called feature on the opening page of ba.com still doesn't seem to - has been like this for a couple of years now at least. Every time I go to ba.com I have to enter in my Exec number every single time despite the tick being in the box.

All just sloppy, unprofessional and gives the feeling an organisation just CBA to get things right
This also works for me across multiple machines. I must be blessed.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not simply the IT, it is the approach. BA has too many silos and relies on staff to do things which ought to have been automated over a decade ago. Given that BA and AA have a JV across the North Atlantic, including both carriers' most profitable international route, e.g. JFK-LHR, it would seem that the time is ripe to adopt AA's software and to move on.

AA is far from perfect, but many functions such as ticketing all but the most complex itineraries and complex changes, are automated. The ability to route inbound calls 24/7, to an open call center, as well as the ability of phone agents to handle IRROPS rebooking as though at the airport, makes life easier for both the passenger and the carrier.
NYLON Boy likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by ExAbz
This also works for me across multiple machines. I must be blessed.
Just worked for me on iPad ... after the please wait button.

But, SURPRISE ...
We can't find any bookings for this account.
I have 4 ...
Old May 14, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by stuart_f
A second case I've been charged is trying to do an open-jaw redemption with a 2-4-1 when both outbound and returns were within the booking window at the time. The agent insisted the fee was only waived when the return leg was outside the booking window when the first leg was booked and the return was added later despite it not being possible to even attempt an open-jaw redemption online.
But this is not an offline fee. £35 is the change fee for an Avios booking. It is payable whether you change online (when you can) or offline (whether or not you can do it online).
Old May 14, 2019, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BOH

Works for me....plus I also got a ''welcome back after all the years you've been away''. Clever stuff. ^
BOH and T8191 like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But this is not an offline fee. £35 is the change fee for an Avios booking. It is payable whether you change online (when you can) or offline (whether or not you can do it online).
Where did you get the idea I changed something? The entire trip was booked in one single phone call LHR-PEK returning HKG-LHR three weeks later using 2-4-1. I was charged the phone booking fee despite my protests, the agent insisted that the waiver only applied to adding the return leg via the phone if the outbound had been booked before the return dates were available. You cannot book this online, the usual advice to book as 2 separate one-way redemptions doesn't work if you want to apply a 2-4-1. There is therefore no way to avoid the £35 fee for BA's shocking IT system.
SW7London likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by stuart_f
Where did you get the idea I changed something? The entire trip was booked in one single phone call LHR-PEK returning HKG-LHR three weeks later using 2-4-1. I was charged the phone booking fee despite my protests, the agent insisted that the waiver only applied to adding the return leg via the phone if the outbound had been booked before the return dates were available. You cannot book this online, the usual advice to book as 2 separate one-way redemptions doesn't work if you want to apply a 2-4-1. There is therefore no way to avoid the £35 fee for BA's shocking IT system.
AFAIK, that should be £15 (as stated in the sticky). It's £10 for cash bookings, but few people report being refused a waiver if they request it for something that could not be booked online at all.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by Winchy78
My favourite feature is when type in a three letter airport code, it autocompletes to the correct airport in full, then throws an error when you click submit saying the airport isn't recognised.
I agree, extremely frustrating, BUT, I always chuckle when it does not recognise LHR..................
Old May 14, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
The used to treat BA.com like the Crown Jewels and QA was second to none. Then Snr. Cruz outsourced to the lowest bidder!
hahaha that is not slightly true. It’s always been awful. In fact it’s better now than it used to be
Old May 15, 2019, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by T8191
Just worked for me on iPad ... after the please wait button.

But, SURPRISE ...
I thought i as uniquely targetted for the
we have no bookings ..
announcement.

Heart-dropping to get the first couple of time. But i got used to it ....
Old May 15, 2019, 12:13 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by EMIC
I agree, extremely frustrating, BUT, I always chuckle when it does not recognise LHR..................
Or you enter in the airport code and rather than it list that specific airport it gives you a whole list of others first. For example, enter FRA and the list gives you, Ajaccio, Biarritz, Bordeaux, Calvey, Chambery, Corsica before Frankfurt.......then plus about another 10 further choices too.

It is because strangely although you are specific and definite in entering the actual destination airport code, the system seems to think you may want to fly to somewhere in France, not Frankfurt
T8191 likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
BOH ... I think I can accept their logic on this one. The general public are not as attuned to airport codes as we are, so are likely to use the city name.

I have the same 'airport name' issue when inputting JER ... either Jersey or Jerez de Frontera.
BOH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.