Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Marketing: buy a scone with cream and jam and get a free tea. Problem solved.
JAXBA and HMPS like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink
And it is cream first, of course...
If the cream goes on first there isn't a sufficiently firm base to spread the jam which is thicker. Jam first - always
Sealink, T8191 and BAEC like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
if the cream goes on first there isn't a sufficiently firm base to spread the jam which is thicker. Jam first - always
no!!! *you're* wrong!!!

😜🤣🤣
msmorley and snaxmuppet like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Fight!
Sealink and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I was recently on the BA104 (DXB-LHR) arriving at around 5pm and was surprised that the afternoon tea did not have any scones; only sandwiches and a macaroon and mini cake.

When I asked the cabin crew about the missing scones I was told that BA are mixing things up a bit...

The scones were the highlight of the afternoon tea service for me.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I was recently on the BA104 (DXB-LHR) arriving at around 5pm and was surprised that the afternoon tea did not have any scones; only sandwiches and a macaroon...
Were you really served with a macaroon (unlikely)? Or were you served with a macaron (most probable)?

Doc Copper
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Afternoon Tea can be confusing to a yank. Returning from my first trip to London, the FA asked if I would like afternoon tea. I replied that I wasn't thirsty but could I get something to eat.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by TomMM
Afternoon Tea can be confusing to a yank. Returning from my first trip to London, the FA asked if I would like afternoon tea. I replied that I wasn't thirsty but could I get something to eat.
And just like you she is relating this story in staff lounge about the yank who doesn't know what afternoon tea is ! Come to think of it, based on this thread neither does BA !
Kgmm77, Sealink, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by HMPS
Come to think of it, based on this thread neither does BA !
The afternoon tea is whatever you want it to be. You seem to forget that BA serves more afternoon teas per day than almost any else, 365 days a year and has done so for decades. We appear to have collectively taken a rigid stance that an afternoon tea can only be served with tea and nothing else.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
The afternoon tea is whatever you want it to be. You seem to forget that BA serves more afternoon teas per day than almost any else, 365 days a year and has done so for decades. We appear to have collectively taken a rigid stance that an afternoon tea can only be served with tea and nothing else.
It should include a beverage like tea or coffee is the point.
Afternooon Tea which consists of a scone and jam abs cream is a Scone with Jam and Cream. Should not be marketed as afternoon tea.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Afternooon Tea which consists of a scone and jam abs cream is a Scone with Jam and Cream. Should not be marketed as afternoon tea.
Why?

At the end of the day, it was clear to me what was on offer, if it wasn’t clear to others then of course they can challenge it through the ASA.

it seams like a storm in a tea cup to me.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I’d say fripperies’ fine contribution - as early as page one of what has developed (thus far) into a 24-page thread - has still not been bettered, and hardly needs any addition.

But his excellent examples did set me wondering .....if BoB somehow expands one day into the world of cooked breakfasts ........ would that much-loved English staple, ‘Eggs & Bacon’, be delivered perhaps as bacon only, with eggs available as a side dish option, albeit at supplementary cost. Food for thought .... ?

Originally Posted by fripperies
Clunk. That was my jaw hitting the deck. Are you telling us that something described on a menu as Afternoon Tea actually comprises just a scone? And that you can buy a cuppa separately? That's very enterprising. It opens the door to a whole new menu concept:

Fish 'n' Chips £10 (BYOFish)

Gin & Tonic £6 (mixer). Our pairing suggestions: gin (£7), ice (50p)

Caesar Salad £4 (lettuce leaves)
available separately: anchovies (£1.50) lime juice (50p). garlic (25p) black pepper (25p) ...
IAMORGAN and Sealink like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

i don’t agree with the rigidity of this stance. When travelling CE do you always pair your scone with tea? Ever had it champagne, or a G&T, or Campari & tonic? Ever noticed what other passengers around you order?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
i don’t remember them ever not offering tea with afternoon tea in years of flying them though, even though you could usually add or substitute. And in fact, often in cw, afternoon tea only comes with tea or coffee and everything else is ‘a problem’.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:15 am

i don’t agree with the rigidity of this stance. When travelling CE do you always pair your scone with tea? Ever had it champagne, or a G&T, or Campari & tonic? Ever noticed what other passengers around you order?
My point is that there should be a beverage. If you want to pair it with anything else that is fine and in Y should be charged accordingly. CE includes a tea or coffee as part of the inflight offering. BA should do the right thing and change the title to Scone and Cream. Or include a tea with Afternoon Tea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.