Afternoon tea....without any tea

Old May 16, 2019, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Isn't mayonnaise actually quite normal with pomme frites?
I was referring to proper British chips. As for the continental variety of fries/frites then fine but I am personally not to keen.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
I haven't managed to read all 16 pages of this thread, but of the posts I've got through, I'm surprised that people aren't more up in arms about the lack of sandwiches to accompany the scone. To me, afternoon tea should consist of at least some finger sandwiches, a scone with jam and clotted cream and some tea, and ideally at least one type of cake. If all that they are offering is the scone, jam and cream, then it's nowhere close to being afternoon tea and very misleading.
origin, T8191 and icegirl like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Back on Planet Earth/Jersey ... I bet the W.I. serve Tea as well.

orbitmic and passy777 like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by T8191
Back on Planet Earth/Jersey ... I bet the W.I. serve Tea as well.

Thats all very well. But more importantly, what do you get for 4? Is it just tea and cake or the full works i.e. cakes, sandwiches, scones and tea?
Old May 16, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icegirl
I hope not as those look more like french fries and not proper chips. Also you NEVER serve mayonnaise with chips!!!
I believe these are the South African version of chips....
Old May 16, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icegirl
Thats all very well. But more importantly, what do you get for 4? Is it just tea and cake or the full works i.e. cakes, sandwiches, scones and tea?
You get a lovely chat with a lovely lady who will tell you all the best parts of life 30 years ago, tell you that you need to lose weight and talk about sex, whilst eating your food.
T8191 and icegirl like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74
To me, afternoon tea should consist of at least some finger sandwiches, a scone with jam and clotted cream and some tea, and ideally at least one type of cake.
And this is the afternoon tea in CE for which almost everyone on FT - with the exception of myself - reviles.

Doc Copper
IAMORGAN and DeathSlam like this.

Last edited by DoctorCopper; May 16, 2019 at 11:51 am
Old May 16, 2019, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
And this is the afternoon tea in CE for which almost everyone on FT - with the exception of myself - reviles.

Doc Copper
Leftovers from the lounge
Old May 16, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by passy777
Would this be deemed a 'Fish Supper' in BA speak?

Nice looking fries!^ Taking cue from how BA lists the scone I doubt that they would call it 'fish & chips', so I guess the fries would be listed just as fries, and I am not sure why would anyone expect fish as well.
BA de-bundled afternoon tea, perhaps, they'll be the first to de-bundle fish and chips as well, but as long as they list it correctly on the menu I am not sure what the harm is.

Originally Posted by cosmo74
To me, afternoon tea should consist of at least some finger sandwiches, a scone with jam and clotted cream and some tea, and ideally at least one type of cake. If all that they are offering is the scone, jam and cream, then it's nowhere close to being afternoon tea and very misleading.

Since BA does not offer or advertise a price for afternoon tea, it is no surprise that whatever afternoon tea one can build from the three positions in that menu does not really amount to afternoon tea in some people's minds. The three items are not misleading, it's just that the afternoon tea menu has a very limited selection.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
ISTR we have had some quite nice Afternoon Tea in CE and CW ... and some dire ones as well. At least they were ‘free’, if you ignore how much you paid for the tickets!
Old May 16, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Nice looking fries!^ Taking cue from how BA lists the scone I doubt that they would call it 'fish & chips', so I guess the fries would be listed just as fries, and I am not sure why would anyone expect fish as well.
BA de-bundled afternoon tea, perhaps, they'll be the first to de-bundle fish and chips as well, but as long as they list it correctly on the menu I am not sure what the harm is.

Since BA does not offer or advertise a price for afternoon tea, it is no surprise that whatever afternoon tea one can build from the three positions in that menu does not really amount to afternoon tea in some people's minds. The three items are not misleading, it's just that the afternoon tea menu has a very limited selection.
Im pretty sure the image of the receipt upthread has a price for Afternoon Tea
strickerj likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
As I pointed out in post 26, they absolutely do advertise a price for afternoon tea.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31094402-post26.html
User Name and strickerj like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
You're putting us on here now, aren't you? There's simply no other explanation in light of the menu, the press release, and the receipt...
Old May 16, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
I’m pretty sure the image of the receipt upthread has a price for Afternoon Tea

Just to make sure I got this right - people first ask what the receipt will say and then order? The menu says what it says. I honestly have not met a person who orders on the basis of a receipt.

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

As I pointed out in post 26, they absolutely do advertise a price for ‘afternoon tea’.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31094402-post26.html

A. We're talking about the printed BoB menu. B. What BA advertises on the website clearly states what's included. So, it is once again a matter of people assuming, not paying attention and being confused. Not really the same as misleading. Many of us here accepted that if one does not bother to read the menu or what's included it can be confusing if they only get a scone. No argument there,

Originally Posted by strickerj
You're putting us on here now, aren't you? There's simply no other explanation in light of the menu, the press release, and the receipt...
The menu lists a scone for GBP5. Yes, you are right, there is no other explanation. What press release? What receipt? One orders from the menu. There is no other offer to buy but what the menu says. The menu is very specific, but some here are trying to bring out the press release or the receipt as a way to justify that BA is actually offering afternoon tea. Suit yourself of course.
DeathSlam likes this.

Last edited by Andriyko; May 16, 2019 at 2:50 pm Reason: Spelling
Old May 16, 2019, 2:59 pm

Just to make sure I got this right - people first ask what the receipt will say and then order? The menu says what it says. I honestly have not met a person who orders on the basis of a receipt.

Nobody is saying that.

You are going round in circles.
orbitmic, User Name and GaxxyFlyer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.