Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adstring
Well I didn't expect this much interest!
Perhaps BA could consider a solution based on status:
- Gold: Afternoon tea (with cup of tea included)
- Silver: Afternoon tea (cup and hot water included - passenger needs to remember to bring tea bag from lounge)
- Bronze: Afternoon tea (tea bag included- Tesco value perhaps - but cup and hot water extra)
- Blue Afternoon tea (tea extra)
Whilst I love a good scone or two... I dont do tea for any reason... Never drank a drop, the only time I make one is when I am feeling exceptionally nice.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by origin
Whilst I love a good scone or two... I dont do tea for any reason... Never drank a drop, the only time I make one is when I am feeling exceptionally nice.
Same in this house.

I prefer coffee.
iWife is actually allergic to tea,
origin and navylad like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:15 am

So, for the record, BA really does consider that the scone menu item is fair to be referred to as 'afternoon tea' and really does consider that 'afternoon tea' does not include tea by default:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8914691.html

'British Airways said in a statement: “Whether it’s a traditional cup of tea, our new espresso martini or a bottle of champagne, we offer a wide range of beverages to allow customers to choose which option they pair our popular afternoon tea with.”'
HIDDY, Twickenham and strickerj like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Indeed they assert and proudly reassert that this tea-less £5 scone IS “afternoon tea” in the airline’s view, thereby openly and ungratefully contradicting the whole case that had been built in their defence.

Back to square one and the question of whether calling afternoon tea a snack that does not include tea is or is not confusing and potentially misleading.

As a bonus question, one wonders how long the £5 scone will remain ‘popular’ now that two newspapers are realising that the BA ‘afternoon tea’ label is not worth the paper it’s written on...

Last edited by orbitmic; May 15, 2019 at 8:08 am
Old May 15, 2019, 8:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by T8191
iWife is actually allergic to tea,
I hope she hasn't grown allergic to Tea 8191!
adrianlondon, HIDDY, T8191 and 5 others like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
The BoB proposition has been miserable from day one and in spite of Cruz's publicity about its popularity that's not what people say especially on the longer routes where the competition provide very decent hot meals thinking A3 and TK here.

Of all the miserable BoB offerings, afternoon tea without tea must be the most miserable and biggest rip off of the lot.
psollitt and florens like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
As a bonus question, one wonders how long the £5 scone will remain ‘popular’ now that two newspapers are realising that the BA ‘afternoon tea’ label is not worth the paper it’s written on...
Who knows, but £5 for a single scone is a rip off. Mind you if, you are on a 4h LHR-JMK flight that has been delayed on the tarmac for 2 hours, you would be ready to pay anything just to have a bite on such a long journey. That if you are seated in a seat before row 10 obviously. I guess BA have found a nice formula to increase their BoB sales, starve the whole cattle class crowd into submission and sell them whatever items there are on the trolley for rip off prices preferably with a BA logo on them.The margin on the centenary afternoon tea and a tea must be one of Alex Cruz's wettest dreams!
strickerj likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by BA6948
Who knows, but £5 for a single scone is a rip off. Mind you if, you are on a 4h LHR-JMK flight that has been delayed on the tarmac for 2 hours, you would be ready to pay anything just to have a bite on such a long journey. That if you are seated in a seat before row 10 obviously. I guess BA have found a nice formula to increase their BoB sales, starve the whole cattle class crowd into submission and sell them whatever items there are on the trolley for rip off prices preferably with a BA logo on them.The margin on the centenary afternoon tea and a tea must be one of Alex Cruz's wettest dreams!
Totally agree. I suspect though we shall see the afternoon "tea" enhanced and subtly replaced.
psollitt likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For some reason I've been really craving tea today.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:09 pm

It was (only) the 10th most popular new item on the BoB range in the first week. Teapigs tea (whether or not paired with the scone) was 3rd.

Kru Coffee was top. Brewdog 100 was 9th.
orbitmic and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Well when the scone was enhanced away from CE afternoon tea, BA still called it afternoon tea though one did still have a cup of tea of course . Fortunately the scone came back . So in BAs books afternoon tea may or may not contain a scone and may or may not contain a cup of tea . Soon afternoon tea will just be air .....now don’t get me on to the topic of a nicely thin crust less cucumber sandwich .....
Old May 15, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
It was (only) the 10th most popular new item on the BoB range in the first week. Teapigs tea (whether or not paired with the scone) was 3rd.

Kru Coffee was top. Brewdog 100 was 9th.
Thanks! Very useful!! ^ How is that Kru coffee by the way? I don’t plan on ordering it but would be interesting to know. There were still a lot of people getting confused with the previous system and ending up with mud after opening the wrong parts (I heard some every few flights) so I wonder if it’s part of the reason ba changed. I suppose water must be high up the list too.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:33 pm

How is that Kru coffee by the way?
Don't know, not tried it.

I suppose water must be high up the list too.
Second. Which pains me as I hate seeing money spent on bottled water!
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I flew on BA between FCO & LHR on the very first day they transitioned to buy-on-board. I felt the culture shock on board and it appears the shock waves are still coming how many years later?
Old May 15, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by PETER01
I hope she hasn't grown allergic to Tea 8191!
T8191 was your bride part of the focus group at BA when they redesigned the afternoon tea ?

Originally Posted by wrp96
For some reason I've been really craving tea today.
"That will be 7 GBP with a scone, sir ".
adrianlondon, T8191 and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.