Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 3:29 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Maybe I’m too Asda or Lidl-ised but really? £5 for a scone, jam & cream and not even a cup of tea. That really is daylight robbery.

S
dddc, Robespierre, DYKWIA and 6 others like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: Confirmed
My norn Irish friends often refer their evening meal as “tea”, but I’m not sure if they always have a cup. Do they?

But I do think “afternoon tea” ought to include tea.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It's shocking the lengths some will go to defend a for-profit corporation that doesn't care about them in the slightest...
I am sorry but I don't think that the very specific description of the scone needs defending. I am quite at a loss as to what exactly can anyone defend here? English language? Has this forum really come to this?

As Tobias-UK wrote:
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

... but none of those words appear in the item description found in the onboard BoB menu. The item is simply described “NEW Sultana Scone, Strawberry Preserve, Clotted Cream £5.00”.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Old May 14, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Maybe some of the comments come about as BA keeps banging on about tea (the drink) in its adverts about being British, but then is so surprisingly tight in actually providing it, even when you're paying upwards of £400 for an ET return, and now even when you think you might actually be getting it when paying for something from the BoB trolley.

On a recent trip to New Zealand, both Jetstar and Air NZ shorthaul provided an enhanced onboard service to the higher fare economy tickets, with free drinks and a snack. However on my last shorthaul with BA, on a full Y fare, there was, as we all know, nothing extra. This does tip the balance instinctively against BA in conversations where there is space for misinterpretation.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Adstring
I had my first experience of the new BA shorthaul menu on a flight from AGP to LHR last night. I was only really interested in trying the Speedbird 100, but some around me opted for the Afternoon Tea.

They were surprised to find that it doesn't actually come with a cup of tea. That's extra. The descriptive wording talks (deceptively in my opinon) about pairing your £5 scone with a tea. It doesn't mention that will be at your cost.

Deceptive, just plain tight or fair enough?
Deceptive. End of.

BA could argue that their description doesn't include 'a cup of tea' but it is in the title. Misers!

Afternoon Tea
Sultana Scone (90g), Strawberry Preserve (28g), Clotted Cream (28g)

Any cafe I have been too would have that on the menu as a scone with jam and cream.
User Name likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

... but none of those words appear in the item description found in the onboard BoB menu. The item is simply described “NEW Sultana Scone, Strawberry Preserve, Clotted Cream £5.00”.
Given that Afternoon Tea can also include things like canapes and desserts, I'd say the description is a clarification of what BA's Afternoon Tea includes.
To not include a cup of tea in a thing called Afternoon Tea is just wrong. I hope BA correct this description soon. Or maybe it is supposed to include tea but the crew haven't been told...
dddc likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:31 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
A Blue member travelling a return LHR-DME on the lowest Y ticket could afford the new BA Afternoon Tea using Avios on the next flight they were flying on to accrue the Avios to afford the tea to go with it!!

Could really do with a ‘shaking head in disbelief ‘ emoji.

S
m3red and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Personally I don’t have an issue with the scone/cream/jam combo being priced separately from the drinks. When you think about it, does it not make sense to charge the tea separately because this adds flexibility of choice. While I’d guess most passengers will choose to pair their order with a cup of tea, there will inevitably be some who prefer coffee or hot chocolate and others who fancy splashing out on a champagne afternoon tea.

The menu is clear what’s included in the sweet snack offering and also the price of the accompanying drink, whichever pairing you wish to go with.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKRan
My norn Irish friends often refer their evening meal as “tea”, but I’m not sure if they always have a cup. Do they?

But I do think “afternoon tea” ought to include tea.
I tried to explain this yesterday, but ran out of energy.

https://www.ft.com/content/cddae7d0-...a-0000779e2340

"In the evening, the lower classes and northerners come home from work, school or shopping and sit down to another fairly substantial meal called tea at about 6pm. However, the upper classes and southerners eat later and the meal they eat, called dinner, tends to be the main meal of the day."

I am all for scones and possibly I eat too many of them. I am all for afternoon tea. But to drink tea at any time is not an experience that I would suggest to anyone.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
This is really one of those times that Flyertalk needs a 'Poll' option. I can accept other people seeing things 100% differently but not in this case. But maybe i'm, just odd.

Afternoon Tea includes tea. A Scone with clotted cream and jam doesn't.

And looking at the picture it feels deliberate that there wasn't a "* not including tea" or "* combination offer - enjoy a cup of tea with your afternoon tea for only £7.00" added to it. And from comments above it IS misleading customers, deliberately or not. Own goal!

But I completely appreciate that this is the trending topic on the BA forum, 10 pages and counting about scones and tea, and I wouldn't want it any other way
Old May 14, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by passy777
I agree with you fully, however, many posters who will be critical of failings, but at the same time, give praise when a service or product has exceeded their expectations - in other words, a balanced opinion - may find it difficult to comprehend why blatant shortcomings are consistently defended by others and will scrape the bottom of the barrel to compound their view.

The 'echo chamber' you allude to seems to be fully functional for the same posters who will defend BA to the hilt when those who may not possess rose tinted spectacles can clearly see there are shortcomings, or in this situation, a lack of clarity in one of the products on offer.
i resent your implication here, I have stated several times that in my opinion it is not misleading but it could be made clearer. I think that is a balanced opinion. Clearly there is a difference of opinion that many don’t see the shortcomings that you state are blatant, clearly there is a matter of opinion here, and opinions from both sides have been stated and on the most part respected, is respect too much to ask for?

As I said up thread, I can understand why someone who didn’t both to actually look at what was being advertised would make an wrong assumption. I’ve expressed an opinion that I don’t think that is misleading, but could be clearer. That’s not me trying to defend BA, but expressing a view on the topic of discussion.

It really is about tome people stopped with such pettiness of trying to pigeon hole people on here into BA haters and defenders, we are all just people who ok the whole are just expressing an opinion, one that may vary from your own.
Andriyko and flyer0123 like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
This is really one of those times that Flyertalk needs a 'Poll' option. I can accept other people seeing things 100% differently but not in this case. But maybe i'm, just odd.

Afternoon Tea includes tea. A Scone with clotted cream and jam doesn't.

And looking at the picture it feels deliberate that there wasn't a "* not including tea" or "* combination offer - enjoy a cup of tea with your afternoon tea for only £7.00" added to it. And from comments above it IS misleading customers, deliberately or not. Own goal!

But I completely appreciate that this is the trending topic on the BA forum, 10 pages and counting about scones and tea, and I wouldn't want it any other way
Yes, the topic certainly appears to have divided opinion.

Maybe we can find common ground of agreement. I’d say a scone with cream and jam should never under any circumstances be paired with tomato juice.
T8191 and navylad like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Prospero
Yes, the topic certainly appears to have divided opinion.

Maybe we can find common ground of agreement. I’d say a scone with cream and jam should never under any circumstances be paired with tomato juice.
I'm coming from the same place, but perhaps the other side of the coin. I'd be horrified to be served tea with celery, worcester sauce and vodka.
navylad likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I'm coming from the same place, but perhaps the other side of the coin. I'd be horrified to be served tea with celery, worcester sauce and vodka.
Yum - I could eat a big stick of celery now! With some chilli humous.
navylad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.