Afternoon tea....without any tea

Old May 13, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
BA are just mean. How much is a tea bag and hot water? Marketing something as afternoon tea for most Brits never mind foreigners means you get a cuppa. The airline is getting worse
IAMORGAN and snaxmuppet like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
Here by way of example is the advert from the Ritz
It appears that afternoon tea at the Ritz - Ł58 for sandwiches, scones, pastries and teacakes, replenished on request - might be better value than BA's Ł5 scone.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
As a Brit, I have to say that if Monty Python had made this up I would not have laughed.............it is not funny, and Afternoon Tea without Tea just does not exist. It doesn't exist, it has never existed, and unlike the Dead Parrot, it Never existed.

There is an old saying that Truth is stranger than fiction. Well, the saying should say that BA is stranger than fiction.
nivsy, T8191, m3red and 3 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I believe that people that have grown up with the British culture would expect a drink of tea with Afternoon Tea.
I can't think of anywhere I have been in Britain where I could order Afternoon Tea and not have tea included. And I've had a lot of afternoon tea in Britain! I have seen plenty of "DIY" afternoon tea, where a scone, jam, cream and tea were separate menu items and priced separately, but never just a scone, jam and cream without tea called afternoon tea.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:37 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
This thread reads remarkably similar to the frequent threads about having to pay for seat selection in discounted J.

If you read everything carefully then you will be aware that tea or free seat selection is not included in the price, but by and large BA is alone in not including them. I can't say this surprises me.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I always considered Afternoon Tea involved, inter alia, thinly sliced cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off. And either dainty cakes or a slice of rich fruit cake.

When did scones become the staple ingredient of a English* Tea?

* Devon and Cornwall exempt
rapidex likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Coming to a BoB trolley near you soon :
The ‘BA Fish & Chips special’ (but with no chips)
Old May 13, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I can't think of anywhere I have been in Britain where I could order Afternoon Tea and not have tea included. And I've had a lot of afternoon tea in Britain! I have seen plenty of "DIY" afternoon tea, where a scone, jam, cream and tea were separate menu items and priced separately, but never just a scone, jam and cream without tea called afternoon tea.
That is exactly what is on offer here, the section title is afternoon tea and you can select a scone and a hot drink to go with it.

Originally Posted by :D!
This thread reads remarkably similar to the frequent threads about having to pay for seat selection in discounted J.

If you read everything carefully then you will be aware that tea or free seat selection is not included in the price, but by and large BA is alone in not including them. I can't say this surprises me.
except there are plenary of airlines that offer BOB and offer individual items that you may wish to combine together for sale seperately.

Originally Posted by T8191
I always considered Afternoon Tea involved, inter alia, thinly sliced cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off. And either dainty cakes or a slice of rich fruit cake.

When did scones become the staple ingredient of a English* Tea?

* Devon and Cornwall exempt
well quite.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL

My local M&S this evening...they call it a cream tea, but you do get tea, and it’s only Ł4 ☺️
Old May 13, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
How can The Ritz advertise ‘afternoon tea’ at 11:30 am? Should they not also be the target of our mass ire?
Does the 'afternoon' part cost extra?
Originally Posted by Peter_S
My local M&S this evening...they call it a cream tea, but you do get tea, and it’s only Ł4 ☺️
But BA's afternoon tea is not an M&S product, so it's necessary to show that it's different in one way or another. Skipping the tea does just that.
Twickenham and Peter_S like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:33 pm

Regardless of what some here think, if many of those on board expect it to come with tea then it's misleading. If they don't, then it isn't. What percentage of people who read the advert count as "many" is one for the lawyers
User Name and DeathSlam like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Regardless of what some here think, if many of those on board expect it to come with tea then it's misleading. If they don't, then it isn't. What percentage of people who read the advert count as "many" is one for the lawyers
im no lawyer, but I think what is actually written rather than what people would imagine it means is actually matters.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by navylad

im no lawyer, but I think what is actually written rather than what people would imagine it means is actually matters.
A lawyer knows that the law isn't that cut-and-dried.
Remember, this all started because there is a title/heading in the menu that as written, states "Afternoon Tea". In common-law does that imply an inclusion of actual "tea" or is it merely a listing of items available as part of what may be reasonably considered as part of a British "tea" meal?
strickerj likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
A lawyer knows that the law isn't that cut-and-dried.
Remember, this all started because there is a title/heading in the menu that as written, states "Afternoon Tea". In common-law does that imply an inclusion of actual "tea" or is it merely a listing of items available as part of what may be reasonably considered as part of a British "tea" meal?
I think your in fantasy land if you think there is a legal case here, but by all means try it and I’ll enjoy watching.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Oh dear, what a storm in a teacup - literally.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.