Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m3red

the clue is in the word “tea” which implies a drink...
Its not always the case, Its how tea is being described.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/1535_questionanswer/page2.shtml

quote below

"And the final word is tea. Now of course this is a drink, like tea and coffee, but it can also be a light evening meal. I think this word is often used in families, particularly with their children. "It's tea time", "It's time for tea!" This means their small evening meal. "

It then turns into a northern southern argument, I dont have the energy to well care about.
Twickenham and EDIwanderer like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am getting bored with this rather weird discussion now. My final word on the matter is that anything that is labelled as "Afternoon Tea", and has a package price, I would expect to include a drink of tea. I understand that if you take the menu literally, and don't apply any cultural expectations, then it is clear that a drink is not included. But it is a British airline and I suggest that most British people when given the option of "Afternoon Tea" would expect a drink of tea to be included whether it is explicit or not. IMO the menu/adverts should make it clear that a drink is not included.

Nuff said I think... I have a holiday to plan!!!
SK, User Name, nivsy and 6 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by navylad

so to be clear, your saying other items, which specifically state that it includes a drink are evidence, I’d suggest the actually work against such suggestion, when it includes a drink as a combi deal it is quite clearly stated.

I’ve been to a number of cafes in the New Forest for example that has a section called afternoon teas, and then lots of different options, one can simple decide which elements one wants and pay for the total price- much like a menu works.
What I think many of us have been saying for a while is that "afternoon tea" could be a very clear name for a set (or "combi deal" as you call it or package or whatever) that would include tea, scone, jam and clotted cream, and when you look at the page that says afternoon tea you may very well think that this is exactly what you will get looking at the photo and especially if you have been exposed to BA's successful media campaign about their centennial afternoon tea.

I have not been to the New Forest, so you have one on me, but even though this is not a meal I do personally enjoy and would never order by choice, I have taken delighted visitors to countless places from seedy tea shops all the way to the poshest London hotels where they/we ordered afternoon tea which invariably included tea, scones, usually some sandwiches and often some cakes. I do not remember ever having to pay extra for the tea (in some places some specialty teas involve a supplement and in the posh places you can typically add Champagne for an extra cost).

I would add that the price of Ł5 is also in and by itself suggestive of a set. Ł5 for a single scone with cream and jam is a ludicrous amount even compared to BA's own other food items. To put this in perspective, it is more expensive than any of the sandwiches on the menu whilst the snack items (much closer to a scone) are all priced between Ł1 and Ł2.

Now, I'm sure some places do exist that have a menu called "afternoon tea" where you can order whatever you want a la carte, but I'm sure that like me you have also encountered those many other places where afternoon tea refers to a set such as the one I describe above too.
User Name likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 13, 2019 at 6:23 am
Old May 13, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
The phone screen shot is clear enough to me
Well, then there is really no point in the discussion if you're avoiding pointing out the 'afternoon tea' item and its price in the printed menu. I see 3 separate items and no set price for any combination thereof.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by passy777

It is actually 'more fun' reading the posts defending BA.
On this basis alone it’s been a great thread !
IAMORGAN, passy777 and m3red like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by orbitmic
What I think many of us have been saying for a while is that "afternoon tea" could be a very clear name for a set (or "combi deal" as you call it or package or whatever) that would include tea, scone, jam and clotted cream, and when you look at the page that says afternoon tea you may very well think that this is exactly what you will get looking at the photo and especially if you have been exposed to BA's successful media campaign about their centennial afternoon tea.

I have not been to the New Forest, so you have one on me, but even though this is not a meal I do personally enjoy and would never order by choice, I have taken delighted visitors to countless places from seedy tea shops all the way to the poshest London hotels where they/we ordered afternoon tea which invariably included tea, scones, usually some sandwiches and often some cakes. I do not remember ever having to pay extra for the tea (in some places some specialty teas involve a supplement and in the posh places you can typically add Champagne for an extra cost).

Now, I'm sure some places do exist that have a menu called "afternoon tea" where you can order whatever you want a la carte, but I'm sure that like me you have also encountered those many other places where afternoon tea refers to a set such as the one I describe above too.
i indeed have; usually considerable more than the cost on the BOB menu. Invariable they state they include tea however and this clear does not.

Here by way of example is the advert from the Ritz

HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by navylad; May 13, 2019 at 6:21 am
Old May 13, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Well, then there is really no point in the discussion if you're avoiding pointing out the 'afternoon tea' item and its price in the printed menu. I see 3 separate items and no set price for any combination thereof.
Indeed, how dare he refuse to point out for an 11th time what has already been pointed out 10 times....
User Name likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
You seem to be wanting an argument but I am fed up arguing with you! Sorry.
SW7London likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:18 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I would add that the price of Ł5 is also in and by itself suggestive of a set. Ł5 for a single scone with cream and jam is a ludicrous amount even compared to BA's own other food items.
This, really. We can dance on the head of a pin for an eternity about whether "afternoon tea" suggests the inclusion of tea or not, but the reality of the passenger surprise is probably not only "where's the tea" but also "hang on, are you really expecting me to cough up 5 quid for a single scone with a couple of small pots of jam and cream?"
Old May 13, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Indeed, how dare he refuse to point out for an 11th time what has already been pointed out 10 times....
I did not use the word 'refuse.' And such item and its price have not been pointed out in the printed menu. Not once. Probably because it does not exist.

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
You seem to be wanting an argument but I am fed up arguing with you! Sorry.
No, that's not what I want at all. I am trying to understand where you see 'afternoon tea' on that menu. I am not arguing that afternoon tea should or should not actually come with tea. But I don't see such a menu item as 'afternoon tea' in that menu. That's it.

Added: I actually got some clarification from your earlier post that I missed about the menu and taking it literally (although I don't see where you see a package price). It is actually clearer now why there is a discrepancy between what BA lists in the menu and your assumption. Thank you.

Last edited by Andriyko; May 13, 2019 at 6:33 am
Old May 13, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
How can The Ritz advertise ‘afternoon tea’ at 11:30 am? Should they not also be the target of our mass ire?
Old May 13, 2019, 6:41 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
How can The Ritz advertise ‘afternoon tea’ at 11:30 am? Should they not also be the target of our mass ire?
The sun is always over the yardarm somewhere, as they say.
T8191, wrp96, m3red and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But some have advertised afternoon tea, with champagne.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by origin
Its not always the case, Its how tea is being described.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/1535_questionanswer/page2.shtml

quote below

"And the final word is tea. Now of course this is a drink, like tea and coffee, but it can also be a light evening meal. I think this word is often used in families, particularly with their children. "It's tea time", "It's time for tea!" This means their small evening meal. "

It then turns into a northern southern argument, I dont have the energy to well care about.
That is an unrelated point given that the person you're replying to is quoting the word "tea" in "afternoon tea", not just the word "tea", and thus no need to attempt to create any North vs South debate
Old May 13, 2019, 10:11 am

BA is an International airline and not everyone knows what an afternoon Tea entails. While I don't think BA may not be deliberately misleading, as a non-Brit I would have assumed afternoon Tea includes Tea at first thought. Well, I am very detail oriented and would have reviewed the menu and probably figured out it does not include Tea and wouldn't purchase it just for scone, but in reality most people don't review every detail listed on the menu.

I actually feel for the FA's. They have to face the wrath of traveling public in this
flygirl68, T8191, wrp96 and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.