Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Andriyko
The section is called 'Afternoon tea' but the product on offer is actually just a scone, preserve and clotted cream only. This has been pointed out many times before, but it is more fun to pretend that BA is actually offering afternoon tea because otherwise there would be no story and no scandal, right? If I get a cup of tea should I also expect free scones? Or will I only get tea as this is what is advertised on the page? After all, tea is also advertised in the afternoon tea section.
Indeed (almost) not at all misleading:

"In true British style the airline has also launched a centenary edition afternoon tea including a scone, jam and clotted cream for a traditional cream tea experience in the air"

British Airways - NEW HEIGHTS AS CENTENARY EDITIONS TAKE TO THE SKIES

I appreciate that you feel that it is BA bashing and unfair and others can join in considering that I am, but I personally find BA's statement wholly dishonest and inaccurate.

It is all fine to say that if passengers take a forensic look at the printed menu, comparing different pages, they might realise that "Afternoon tea" is in fact a category and not a description of the only menu item described on that page, but that is simply not how a vast majority of passengers act: they look and will get impressions in good faith, and if they have been exposed to BA's advertising as many have, I think that one would have a hard time suggesting that BA is not intending to suggest that they are selling an "afternoon tea". In turn, it seems suggested that this afternoon tea is a set "including" the scone and accompaniment and mirrors a classic (or even epitomic) British "traditional cream tea", which I and seemingly a few others happen to believe includes tea...

Last edited by orbitmic; May 13, 2019 at 4:57 am
Old May 13, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A moron in a hurry.
I strongly approve of bringing Lord Denning into this, but I think his moron in a hurry actually would expect to get tea with their scone, notwithstanding the details specified underneath. Indeed, the OP reported that several passengers around him were disappointed - are you suggesting that those passengers were so dense as to not even reach the threshold of a "moron"?

Even if BA's ET cabins are filled with sub-morons, BA should be pitching it's communication material accordingly. The fact that several passengers misunderstood shows that the authors of the menu have screwed up here, even if the learned folk of FT would not be similarly misled.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed (almost) not at all misleading:

"In true British style the airline has also launched a centenary edition afternoon tea including a scone, jam and clotted cream for a traditional cream tea experience in the air"

British Airways - NEW HEIGHTS AS CENTENARY EDITIONS TAKE TO THE SKIES

I appreciate that you feel that it is BA bashing and unfair and others can join in considering that I am, but I personally find BA's statement wholly dishonest and inaccurate.

It is all fine to say that if passengers take a forensic look at the printed menu, comparing different pages, they might realise that "Afternoon tea" is in fact a category and not a description of the only menu item described on that page, but that is simply not how a vast majority of passengers act: they look and will get impressions in good faith, and if they have been exposed to BA's advertising as many have, I think that you will have a hard time to push the suggestion that BA is not intending to suggest that they are selling an "afternoon tea" which is a set "including" the scone and accompaniment and mirrors a classic (or even epitomic) British "traditional cream tea", which I and seemingly a few others happen to believe includes tea...
So, on the one hand, you are saying that passengers must take a forensic look at the printed menu (and by forensic look you mean actually looking at the name of the product and price, which everybody does?), but on the other hand you are posting a link to the media press release? Are you saying that passengers order onboard on the basis of such press releases? I doubt more than 5 people have actually read them. Referring to a press release seems more forensic to me than actually reading what the menu offers.

And let’s not underestimate the passengers - those who can read will be able to read what the item actually is. The issue is not what afternoon tea has traditionally included. There is no such menu item in the onboard printed menu. If someone wants to buy a product of their imagination rather than what the vendor is selling that I don’t think anyone can help them.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The issue is not what afternoon tea has traditionally included.
But I think it is precisely that.

Do an experiment... this is something we can all try at home ... ask 10 of your friends what constitutes afternoon tea. If they don't mention a cup of tea then ask... would you expect a cup of tea with something from the menu called afternoon tea? I will try this myself. I bet the vast majority, if not all, will be expecting a cup of tea to be included even though it doesn't actually say it is included.

If BA know that a cuppa would be expected to be included and it is not then I believe that it is disingenuous not to point that out.
User Name likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet

Do an experiment... this is something we can all try at home ... ask 10 of your friends what constitutes afternoon tea. If they don't mention a cup of tea then ask... would you expect a cup of tea with something from the menu called afternoon tea? I will try this myself. I bet the vast majority, if not all, will be expecting a cup of tea to be included even though it doesn't actually say it is included.

If BA know that a cuppa would be expected to be included and it is not then I believe that it is disingenuous not to point that out.
so why would one bother to put the prices of the teas in the same section on the page, if they were included, there really would be no need.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by navylad

so why would one bother to put the prices of the teas in the same section on the page, if they were included, there really would be no need.
Perhaps someone might like just a cup of tea, and not a scone ...
jason8612 and orbitmic like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

So, on the one hand, you are saying that passengers must take a forensic look at the printed menu (and by forensic look you mean actually looking at the name of the product and price, which everybody does?), but on the other hand you are posting a link to the media press release? Are you saying that passengers order onboard on the basis of such press releases? I doubt more than 5 people have actually read them. Referring to a press release seems more forensic to me than actually reading what the menu offers.

And let’s not underestimate the passengers - those who can read will be able to read what the item actually is. The issue is not what afternoon tea has traditionally included. There is no such menu item in the onboard printed menu. If someone wants to buy a product of their imagination rather than what the vendor is selling that I don’t think anyone can help them.
I'm saying that passengers would need to take a forensic/very careful look at the menu to realise that "afternoon tea" is not the description of the sole item sold on that page but instead, a more generic category which only becomes apparent if you compare the font to that on other pages where the title could not be ambiguously descriptive of a specific product but is instead obviously categorical (e.g. "Hot drinks", "Cold Drinks", "Sweet snacks", etc.). Note that "afternoon tea is clearly a different lexical category, and this is made obvious by the fact that as others have pointed out, when BA itself transcribed the menu into its website, it thought that "afternoon tea" is no longer a category but an item.

And yes, I am saying that many people read this because in case you hadn't noticed, that press release made it - as was intended - to many papers, magazines, and business and travel publications across the UK which copied and pasted those elements (journalists are lazy), and at least one very popular morning tv programme. For example:

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...tion-products/
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/20...rink-launches/
https://www.dfnionline.com/latest-ne...er-08-05-2019/
https://aboutmanchester.co.uk/new-he...ke-to-the-sky/
https://www.prolificlondon.co.uk/cam...part-centenary

[All integrate the description that I quoted upthread]

So no, it is not just "5 people" who have seen or heard that, it is thousands of readers and viewers, which, after all, is the whole point of BA having a press campaign on this in the first place. What happens once you have read or heard this one is pretty obvious to anyone with a passing understanding of priming.

Anyway, you don't have to believe me. Point is well taken that you believe that BA's descriptions are clear and straightforward and why, and I'm sure others will equally have taken the point that I don't think they are and why. Everyone can decide for themselves with all the elements that many of us have provided.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 13, 2019 at 5:52 am
Old May 13, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Perhaps someone might like just a cup of tea, and not a scone ...
or a scone and not a cup of tea.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet

Why would I do that? What would it prove? BA does not offer afternoon tea. Point me to a menu item that says 'afternoon tea' please. I see a scone, tea and hot chocolate. I know what 'afternoon tea' means; I also know what a scone for GBP5 means. I don't need a scientific experiment to prove that what my eyes can see and what I can read is actually what will be delivered to me.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm saying that passengers would need to take a forensic/very careful look at the menu to realise that "afternoon tea" is not the description of the sole item sold on that page
Come on - this is so far fetched. Look what's written next to the price. It is all very compact, in bold. Description of the menu item and then the price. Following your logic, every time we read a description of the menu item we're performing a forensic research? if anything, the 'afternoon tea' words are clearly the name of the section, and then the product for GBP5 is described further down and there can be no mistaking it for anything else.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:28 am

Yes there would... people buy cups of tea on their own, or with other products. But something labelled as "Afternoon tea" I would expect to include a cup of tea.

I live in Cornwall. We have the same thing here... normally called a "cream tea". It always includes a cup, or more often a pot, of tea in the cream tea price. There is always cup/pot of tea available separately on the menu for those that want a cuppa but don't want a "cream tea". Same thing. If people started serving up cream teas but without tea to drink it would cause no end of confusion and annoyance I expect. A cream tea ALWAYS includes tea to drink or it isn't a cream tea.
orbitmic, Twickenham and User Name like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold

It is not in the same page I am afraid... and as someone on twitter has made the comparison between the Gin & Tonic where the pairing price was clearly displayed "pair it with a Gin for an extra Ł7"

The way it is displayed is completely misleading and come on, for a company that makes billions of $ in profits, they could be a bit generous and offer a cup of tea with their "centenary scone"... It shows how low BA has gone.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have to agree that AT has traditionally always included a pot of tea. All BA has to do is up the price of the package and include tea....job done.

Then the coffee lovers will start complaining.
choosethedrew, T8191 and navylad like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:32 am

Why would I do that? What would it prove? BA does not offer afternoon tea. Point me to a menu item that says 'afternoon tea' please. I see a scone, tea and hot chocolate. I know what 'afternoon tea' means; I also know what a scone for GBP5 means. I don't need a scientific experiment to prove that what my eyes can see and what I can read is actually what will be delivered to me.
It would prove the point I am making and that is that most people would expect a cup of tea. Just because you don't expect a drink to be included doesn't mean that most others wouldn't.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
how about this...”afternoon tea” (tea not included)

😊
Old May 13, 2019, 5:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by m3red
how about this...”afternoon tea” (tea not included)

😊
So, just "Afternoon".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.