Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If it's not offering afternoon tea, then why call it "Afternoon Tea" rather than "Scone with Jam"? Bizarre.
The section is called 'Afternoon tea' but the product on offer is actually just a scone, preserve and clotted cream only. This has been pointed out many times before, but it is more fun to pretend that BA is actually offering afternoon tea because otherwise there would be no story and no scandal, right? If I get a cup of tea should I also expect free scones? Or will I only get tea as this is what is advertised on the page? After all, tea is also advertised in the afternoon tea section.
navylad likes this.

Last edited by Andriyko; May 13, 2019 at 4:15 am Reason: Spelling
Old May 13, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I would prefer to have seen the advertising of this more clear. I do think this is deliberate... I don't see how it could not be.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
and there is no option to select 'afternoon tea.'
Hm....
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

The mobile version is different, just fyi:

orbitmic likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by passy777
And there are far too many people who like to defend the indefensible!
Not that many people, but generally the same ones
Old May 13, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It should really say drink not included there IMO
Old May 13, 2019, 3:52 am

If the advert for the scone stated CLEARLY that an accompanying beverage would be charged extra, then fair enough.
This just does not make sense. Why would a vendor indicate that one product does not include a different product? If BA were selling 'afternoon' tea then I'd agree that either some tea should be provided or a mention should be made that none would be offered, but if BA is selling a 'scone' not an 'afternoon tea meal deal' or anything like that then why should anyone assume that they're not just buying a scone?

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Hm....
Oh please... This does not really help your argument. A) people use printed menus on board, and from the printed menus it is clear that one will need to compile their own afternoon tea set; and B) it is clearly stated in the link you provided what is included (no tea).
Old May 13, 2019, 3:58 am

it’s poorly laid out and misleading

they are advertising 2 products with the slogan and selling them separately

where is the daily mail article?
Old May 13, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
and plotted cream only.
Nice slip!
Old May 13, 2019, 4:07 am

The section is called 'Afternoon tea' but the product on offer is actually just a scone, preserve and plotted cream only. This has been pointed out many times before, but it is more fun to pretend that BA is actually offering afternoon tea because otherwise there would be no story and no scandal, right? If I get a cup of tea should I also expect free scones? Or will I only get tea as this is what is advertised on the page? After all, tea is also advertised in the afternoon tea section.
If you were having 'Afternoon Tea' in FIRST, but were informed that the description of Tea only relates to the time the meal is served - not its content, therefore no hot beverage will be served, would you be content with that?

It is actually 'more fun' reading the posts defending BA.
m3red and strickerj like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:21 am

This just does not make sense. Why would a vendor indicate that one product does not include a different product? If BA were selling 'afternoon' tea then I'd agree that either some tea should be provided or a mention should be made that none would be offered, but if BA is selling a 'scone' not an 'afternoon tea meal deal' or anything like that then why should anyone assume that they're not just buying a scone?

Oh please... This does not really help your argument. A) people use printed menus on board, and from the printed menus it is clear that one will need to compile their own afternoon tea set; and B) it is clearly stated in the link you provided what is included (no tea).
I hadn't made any argument yet other than point out that at least in one case BA do advertise "Afternoon Tea" as the headline individual item and do not include tea.

A rational summary IMHO:
- the printed menu is not as misleading as OP indicated, and it is probably not intentionally poor design, however it could be clearer. If I read it I'd probably catch on that the GBP5 is just the scone
- the app clearly states afternoon tea with no indication this doesn't in fact contain tea, this is a problem
- as per OP's report pax explicitly ordered "Afternoon tea" and we're provided a scone in exchange for payment of GBP5 with no further mention or disclaimer that tea would be additional. This is outright poor and must be addressed, as pax are ordering something (by that ostensiblysome arguments made here) doesn't exist, and FAs are providing them a product against payment without clarifying or specifying.
User Name likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A moron in a hurry.

Lord Denning [RIP] didn't invent this phrase, but he was an early adopter. It is a Common Law legal test used in trademark and passing-off claims. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think this is directly passing off, though a case could perhaps be made for Extended Passing Off. The headline on top says Afternoon Tea. The section below that says how much it costs, and has the specifics of what you get for your money (scone, jam, cream). There is no mention of a cup of tea in the piece, nor is there a photo of a cup of tea. Unfortunately the celestial Lord Denning doesn't seem to post very much around here, but I suspect he would would have had short shrift for anyone complaining about the non provision of hot beverage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_moron_in_a_hurry
Andriyko, Tobias-UK, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:24 am

If you were having 'Afternoon Tea' in FIRST, but were informed that the description of Tea only relates to the time the meal is served - not its content, therefore no hot beverage will be served, would you be content with that?
Let’s not go into all the possible ‘ifs.’ The issue here is very specific - the onboard menu and what it does or does not offer.

It is actually 'more fun' reading the posts defending BA.
While it is very disturbing to read comments of those who manufactured a crisis where there is none, and who apparently cannot read a menu the way it was designed to be read. It must be a new form of outrage - when the vendor lists a scone for a certain price and then, unbelievably, only sells you a scone for that price.
navylad likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A moron in a hurry.

Lord Denning [RIP] didn't invent this phrase, but he was an early adopter. It is a Common Law legal test used in trademark and passing-off claims. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think this is directly passing off, though a case could perhaps be made for Extended Passing Off. The headline on top says Afternoon Tea. The section below that says how much it costs, and has the specifics of what you get for your money (scone, jam, cream). There is no mention of a cup of tea in the piece, nor is there a photo of a cup of tea. Unfortunately the celestial Lord Denning doesn't seem to post very much around here, but I suspect he would would have had short shrift for anyone complaining about the non provision of hot beverage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_moron_in_a_hurry
Great to see Denning quoted on FT.

The afternoon tea issue is definitely not one of passing off (EDIT; albeit the reasonable person test itself could apply here of course), the man on the Clapham omnibus could have told you that

Last edited by KARFA; May 13, 2019 at 4:39 am
Old May 13, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by navylad

seeiously? Now I’ve heard (almost) everything, you think that looks like this? Actually this isn’t even Tesco’s super budget version, but clearly the scone is in a different league.

I know there are a lot of people who like to discredit BA for whatever reason, but when claims are exaggerated, it does the individual not justice in credibility.

Wow! They look more similar than I thought! Thanks for finding a picture that proves it!
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
- as per OP's report pax explicitly ordered "Afternoon tea" and we're provided a scone in exchange for payment of GBP5 with no further mention or disclaimer that tea would be additional. This is outright poor and must be addressed, as pax are ordering something (by that ostensiblysome arguments made here) doesn't exist, and FAs are providing them a product against payment without clarifying or specifying.
We were not there and did not hear what was said, but I was also thinking about that. If I were a member of cabin crew I would not understand what the passenger was ordering if they asked for afternoon tea since none is offered in the menu, and I would clarify whether they meant all of the items in that section or something in particular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.