Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Advertising it as a Scone with Cream and Jam might be better.

That's how I've seen it advertised on restaurant menus when tea is a separate item. In such cases, there is usually the scone/cream/jam, cake (various), tea, coffee, hot chocolate, wine, sandwiches, etc - and you can assemble what you want from it. Rather like this BA menu, in fact, but accurately described so as not to confuse and disappoint the customer.
Twickenham and wrp96 like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

Other than the product being called ‘afternoon tea’ then no, you’re quite right, there isn’t. We’ll have to agree to disagree as I think ghey’re both misleading and I just think a reasonable person when ordering ‘afternoon tea’ would expect a cup of tea to be included.

I feel they should add a line saying “tea not included”.
Originally Posted by Adstring
The word 'tea' is mentioned three times in the text. And there is a hot beverage that looks like tea on the page right next to it.
It's very misleading
As I said, to me it is quite clear, sorry if you thought you were getting a filled scone for £2.50.

As I said upthread, the section title is afternoon tea, the blurb describes the item and then suggests you could pair (not it includes) a ‘standard brew’ or champagne to make your afternoon tea. That really isn’t mentioning ‘tea three times in the text in the way that you imply it does.

As I said yes it could be clearer, I think a bubble that said ‘Get your complete afternoon tea from £7.50’ would help to stop people rushing into assumptions here.

I’m afraid we will have to leave it there as a matter of disagreement of opinion since I’d hate to fall foul of FT of repeating the same point.

Old May 12, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
This is mislabeled. It's just a scone with jam and cream. To call it afternoon tea would mean tea must come with it. Regardless of what the wording says below, Afternoon Tea is pretty universal in including tea. I'd image a lot of passengers for whom English isn't their first language wouldn't get the subtleties of the text below in the brochure and order expecting tea.

I'm surprised they haven't bundled it up with the tea for £6 (because it's not worth £7.50) and anyone who just wants the scone with jam and cream can have it for a fiver.

If the scone isn't from M&S, where is it from? It looks like something Tesco do for in their super budget range. The long life muffin easyjet offer looks more appealing and comes with tea as part of the meal deal!!
Old May 12, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by dddc
If the scone isn't from M&S, where is it from? It looks like something Tesco do for in their super budget range. The long life muffin easyjet offer looks more appealing and comes with tea as part of the meal deal!!
seeiously? Now I’ve heard (almost) everything, you think that looks like this? Actually this isn’t even Tesco’s super budget version, but clearly the scone is in a different league.

I know there are a lot of people who like to discredit BA for whatever reason, but when claims are exaggerated, it does the individual not justice in credibility.

HIDDY, Tobias-UK and Deltus like this.

Last edited by navylad; May 12, 2019 at 5:43 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Come on BA stop being so ruddy stingy and give the English a cup of char with their Afternoon Tea.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Daily Mail are going to love this.
pacenotes and strickerj like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The Daily Mail are going to love this.
SHOCKED and HORRIFIED passengers ANGRY after ordering AFTERNOON TEA and asked to pay EXTRA for TEA

- The passenger ordered Afternoon Tea.
- No tea arrived.
- When they asked where the tea was they were told they'd have to pay extra.

581 comments
"I¿d expect tea too!" - 200 upvotes, 3971 downvotes
"Passenger is an idiot" - 1685 upvotes, 1 downvote
Old May 13, 2019, 1:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

BA are expecting you to provide your own teabag and cup. They'll then gladly provide the hot water. It would be unfair to give a free cup of tea to those who didn't bring their own, so they unbundle the tea.
m3red likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
I flagged this in the main BoB thread - £5 for one scone is almost comedic. Is it an exceptionally large scone?

I'm not sure how this stacks with BA's original "we're not going to rip people off with BoB" press release, when they're now charging £7.50 for a cream tea with only one scone.
I guess a lot of passengers fell for this c$$$p. BA is smart though. They have added a BA logo to a jam pot or a beer and many are thinking it is a great thing and they flock to buy it (obviously if still in stock on a busy LCA-LHR flight). An afternoon tea without tea is just outrageous. The way it is described in the brochure is misleading, it is even more on the website. Forget this whole BoB thing, buy you m&s or pret food on the ground with your choice of drinks, eat it in the plane and just hand the garbage to the cabin crew. You'll have more for your money and a bit less for Alex Cruz!
Old May 13, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Each time I heard it ordered, the passenger requested 'Afternoon Tea'. The crew did not say 'we don't serve such an item', but instead handed the passenger the box with the scone in and relieved them of their fiver. Passenger then waits patiently for their cup of tea....which of course doesn't arrive. Some kick off, some question if the tea has been forgotten. None say 'oh of course...silly me'

I was raised in a household where tea was always the drink of choice but over the years have become more & more of a coffee aficionado.

As such I tend to avoid the BA ‘Afternoon Tea’ and instead order their ‘Morning Coffee Special’. It comes in the form of an all-butter croissant (so, no extra butter needed) from the BoB trolley and is, I would say, a steal at just £5.00. There is no actual coffee included, although CC can gladly provide this at additional cost.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by BA6948
I guess a lot of passengers fell for this c$$$p. BA is smart though. They have added a BA logo to a jam pot or a beer and many are thinking it is a great thing and they flock to buy it (obviously if still in stock on a busy LCA-LHR flight). An afternoon tea without tea is just outrageous. The way it is described in the brochure is misleading, it is even more on the website. Forget this whole BoB thing, buy you m&s or pret food on the ground with your choice of drinks, eat it in the plane and just hand the garbage to the cabin crew. You'll have more for your money and a bit less for Alex Cruz!
Or of course make your afternoon tea scone, cream and jam in GF and then bring it on the plane...
jason8612 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
All I can add is that 100% of the passengers that I heard ordering it were very surprised to hear that the tea to go with their afternoon tea would be extra.

There is no doubt BA know exactly what they are doing here. And at £5 I think most would expect a cup of tea. It's designed to mislead....
There is nothing misleading at all. BA is not offering some afternoon tea set. It is clearly indicated what is offered for GBP5, and there is no option to select 'afternoon tea.'

Originally Posted by navylad

As I said upthread, the section title is afternoon tea, the blurb describes the item and then suggests you could pair (not it includes) a ‘standard brew’ or champagne to make your afternoon tea. That really isn’t mentioning ‘tea three times in the text in the way that you imply it does.
Your arguments will fall on deaf ears. Those who want to be offended will be offended no matter how many times it is pointed out to them that BA is not selling afternoon tea for GBP5 and then does not provide the tea. I wonder how some people shop if they are not capable of reading the name of the product they're buying...

Last edited by Andriyko; May 13, 2019 at 3:35 am
Old May 13, 2019, 3:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Andriyko
There is nothing misleading at all. BA is not offering some afternoon tea set. It is clearly indicated what is offered for GBP5, and there is no option to select 'afternoon tea.'
If it's not offering afternoon tea, then why call it "Afternoon Tea" rather than "Scone with Jam"? Bizarre.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by navylad
I know there are a lot of people who like to discredit BA for whatever reason,

Originally Posted by Andriyko
There is nothing misleading at all..'

And there are far too many people who like to defend the indefensible!

The OP (and seemingly his fellow passengers) were justifiably miffed at the at the misleading menu - I use the word misleading as the discussion on this thread is throwing up various interpretations of how the menu is (or should be) perceived.

If the advert for the scone stated CLEARLY that an accompanying beverage would be charged extra, then fair enough.

As a hot beverage is included in 'Afternoon Tea' in other BA cabins - irrespective if it is free or BOB, then the definition should still be the same.
DYKWIA, User Name, m3red and 3 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If it's not offering afternoon tea, then why call it "Afternoon Tea" rather than "Scone with Jam"? Bizarre.
This.

If English is your first language, you'd expect tea as part of afternoon tea. You just would.

If English isn't your first language, then you may not know what afternoon tea is but tea is a word you'd recognise and I'm sure you'd expect something which is part of the description to be included.

I'm on the fence as to whether BA has been deliberately misleading or not, but either way just call it what it is, if it isn't something else - which it clearly isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.