Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero

I support the cause but accept the sanctity of the traditional British Afternoon Tea is under attack. The scone is served in a cardboard box, the tea in a paper cup, and champagne (if desired) in a plastic cup. What’s more alarming, patrons don’t wear silk gloves and if on a MAN-LHR will be expected to leave the premises after 35 minutes.
[clutches pearls] I'm positively glowing with mild indignation.

In any case, Tea-gate aside, I'm actually quite astounded that the clever marketing team missed an opportunity to call this product "High Tea" instead...given the clever play-on-words. Perhaps they were concerned that the uninformed might complain if the scone did not, in fact, get them high?
Prospero and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Prospero
All that matters is that if you happen to want a cuppa (or other drink of your choice) with your scone, this is available to you. Have you been denied the option to buy a cup of tea when you've purchased the scone? If this is the case then I can sympathise but that's not really what's coming across in your posts in this thread.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It does, or rather it is labelled as a Sultana Scone.

You don't get a free pig if you order a cup of tea, incidentally.
Everyone has a right to opinions & interpretations. No problem. Nowhere have I said I or others were denied an opportunity to PURCHASE a cuppa.........But to call an offering on a menu Afternoon Tea and serve only a Sulatna (!) scone smacks of bait and switch....for almost everyone I know or you all know expects they will get a cup of tea !

To say you don't get a pig if you order a tea is like saying if you buy a tricycle you don't get a Rolls Royce. Today one expects what is offered in black and white.
BTW I have been having tea every day for decades with some savory snacks ^
As far as I am concerned this dead horse has been flogged too many times.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
To say you don't get a pig if you order a tea is like saying if you buy a tricycle you don't get a Rolls Royce.
'Twas but a joke... in reference of https://www.teapigs.co.uk/ which are on the BA menu...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by MNMAA
'Twas but a joke... in reference of https://www.teapigs.co.uk/ which are on the BA menu...
Thank you. As has been pointed out to me a link in the body of a post eliminates
the need for some follow up posts..
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Sealink
Nope, definitely says Afternoon Tea.
From the menu:

But the online version STILL says 'Afternoon Tea'
Sealink and DeathSlam like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by JFX1764
From the menu:

But the online version STILL says 'Afternoon Tea'
Kudos to those who understood this thread at BA and at least partially corrected it. One would have thought the online correction would be faster and easier ,cheaper to correct.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:34 am

Kudos to those who understood this thread at BA and at least partially corrected it. One would have thought the online correction would be faster and easier ,cheaper to correct.
The printed menu hasn't been changed. It has always been as above.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:06 pm

Thank you. I stand corrected. Strange on line does not "talk" to print people.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
OMG so this thread has been for what...?!?!?! 🤣🤣🤣
navylad likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sealink
OMG so this thread has been for what...?!?!?! 🤣🤣🤣
Amusement, mainly, I think!

Context is, of course, king - and post 19 or thereabouts shows the double page spread in the section of the menu headed afternoon tea. The issue is the prominence of ‘afternoon tea’ on there which draws the eye in, that when customers order ‘afternoon tea’ they are reportedly handed a sultana scone and then charged extra for tea and are surprised (indicating that they expected tea to come with their scone). The POS machine lists the scone as afternoon tea - so if you buy the £5 scone, your receipt says afternoon tea, and, online, what is actually a scone is listed as afternoon tea.

All highly important issues, clearly :-)
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I know this thread is about the afternoon team BOB item, but on my flight to PMI last week, due to a fault, there was no water on the aircraft. That meant that the afternoon team in CE was served without any hot beverages. I found it quite ironic.

That said, could they not use bottled water to make coffee and tea at least in CE?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by ringingup
I know this thread is about the afternoon team BOB item, but on my flight to PMI last week, due to a fault, there was no water on the aircraft. That meant that the afternoon team in CE was served without any hot beverages. I found it quite ironic.

That said, could they not use bottled water to make coffee and tea at least in CE?
Yes. They should have opened as many bottles from BOB as it took. Unbelievable.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by User Name

Yes. They should have opened as many bottles from BOB as it took. Unbelievable.
The hot water brewers fill their tanks from the main aircraft supply, the crew have no access to them, and would be unable to fill them with bottled water. Maybe understanding how things work would be helpful before blaming the crew. Unbelievable.
flygirl68, orbitmic, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ringingup
I believe that is technically near impossible. the water pots sit in a particular heating unit with water fed from the main tank via a supply built into the unit. Take away the water then I think it's not possible to get the water heated.

Something is up here, I've come across the "no water" syndrome several times in recent months, whereas it used to be a very rare issue.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Something is up here, I've come across the "no water" syndrome several times in recent months, whereas it used to be a very rare issue.
I wonder if it is still related to the issue noted by Jumbodriver in this thread back in April? Potable water out of main base.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.