Old May 12, 19, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
OP said the flight was “last night”, does night qualify as “afternoon” ? 😀
strickerj and rockflyertalk like this.
Old May 12, 19, 3:01 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Afternoon tea as served by BA in Club Europe (and much-maligned on here even when it's chucked in as part of the cost of the ticket) includes finger sandwiches and the tea and booze if you want it, so it's not like BA doesn't know what afternoon tea actually is.

"Scone with cream and jam" (or "scone with jam and cream" for those from the west country who like arguing about such things) would probably be more accurate, but I suspect rather more difficult to flog at the current price.
HMPS, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old May 12, 19, 3:22 pm

For us Brits it's almost the law that afternoon tea includes tea. I dare say it's the equivalent of an American buying a beefburger then being told it doesn't include the bread roll which has to be purchased separately.
VSLover, wrp96, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old May 12, 19, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
To be fair to BA, Afternoon Tea is the section title on the two page spread in which the filled scones a selection of teas and hot chocolate is available, if you look elsewhere in the onboard menu you will note that the same typeface is used for the likes of soft drinks or quick bites.

One can build you afternoon tea from the items n the section.

Having said that, a scone and tea doesn’t an afternoon tea make (and as I mentioned, a traditional afternoon tea has no scones)

shefgab likes this.
Old May 12, 19, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Popcorn ordered
The corn is extra.
1P, Modo, orbitmic and 8 others like this.
Old May 12, 19, 4:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Ag, Marriott GFL/Plat, xVS Au, Avis Pres, Enterprise Plat, Hilton Ag, Priority Club Au
I had afternoon tea without tea in CW last year. Seat belt sign came on so the CC couldn’t serve hot drinks. I did get my tea eventually once it went out though.
Old May 12, 19, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
All I can add is that 100% of the passengers that I heard ordering it were very surprised to hear that the tea to go with their afternoon tea would be extra.

There is no doubt BA know exactly what they are doing here. And at £5 I think most would expect a cup of tea. It's designed to mislead....
Old May 12, 19, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Adstring View Post
All I can add is that 100% of the passengers that I heard ordering it were very surprised to hear that the tea to go with their afternoon tea would be extra.

There is no doubt BA know exactly what they are doing here. And at £5 I think most would expect a cup of tea. It's designed to mislead....
from your description I thought so too, but having now seen how it is laid out I would disagree. Could it be clearer, of course. Is it misleading? Not in my opinion. Do I think BA has done it deliberately to upset customers, no that would make terrible business sense.
Old May 12, 19, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL; IHG Spire; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold; ALL Silver; Hertz 5*; Starbucks Gold!
I flagged this in the main BoB thread - £5 for one scone is almost comedic. Is it an exceptionally large scone?

I'm not sure how this stacks with BA's original "we're not going to rip people off with BoB" press release, when they're now charging £7.50 for a cream tea with only one scone.
Old May 12, 19, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad View Post

from your description I thought so too, but having now seen how it is laid out I would disagree. Could it be clearer, of course. Is it misleading? Not in my opinion. Do I think BA has done it deliberately to upset customers, no that would make terrible business sense.
Each time I heard it ordered, the passenger requested 'Afternoon Tea'. The crew did not say 'we don't serve such an item', but instead handed the passenger the box with the scone in and relieved them of their fiver. Passenger then waits patiently for their cup of tea....which of course doesn't arrive. Some kick off, some question if the tea has been forgotten. None say 'oh of course...silly me'
Old May 12, 19, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

The mobile version is different, just fyi:

orbitmic, Ldnn1 and nancypants like this.
Old May 12, 19, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Adstring View Post
Each time I heard it ordered, the passenger requested 'Afternoon Tea'. The crew did not say 'we don't serve such an item', but instead handed the passenger the box with the scone in and relieved them of their fiver. Passenger then waits patiently for their cup of tea....which of course doesn't arrive. Some kick off, some question if the tea has been forgotten. None say 'oh of course...silly me'
but yet the item is ‘Sultans Scone, Strawberry Preserve, Clotted Cream £5 l 715 Avios’ in bold and indeed there is no inclusion of tea on the picture.

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post

The mobile version is different, just fyi:

indeed but no mention of tea in the description here either.
Old May 12, 19, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

but yet the item is ‘Sultans Scone, Strawberry Preserve, Clotted Cream £5 l 715 Avios’ in bold and indeed there is no inclusion of tea on the picture.

The word 'tea' is mentioned three times in the text. And there is a hot beverage that looks like tea on the page right next to it.
It's very misleading
Old May 12, 19, 4:39 pm

I'd go slightly further that navylad - yes, it's made perfectly clear what you get for your cash (indeed, the description and price are the same size font and next to each other), so in that sense, it's not misleading. But BA has offered a bundled product - afternoon tea - and then provided individual prices for the different parts of the bundle. This is a sharp practice - and people get caught out. It's like quoting airfares as the base fares, and then separately specifying taxes&charges which need to be paid if you want to take the offer up.
Twickenham and nancypants like this.
Old May 12, 19, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

Other than the product being called ‘afternoon tea’ then no, you’re quite right, there isn’t. We’ll have to agree to disagree as I think ghey’re both misleading and I just think a reasonable person when ordering ‘afternoon tea’ would expect a cup of tea to be included.

I feel they should add a line saying “tea not included”.

Search this Thread