Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Afternoon tea....without any tea

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
You really have to wonder whether BA uses a chatbot if you look at the official comment to the article in the Sun

"Whether it's a traditional cup of tea, our new espresso martini or ​a bottle of champagne, we offer a wide range of beverages to allow customers to choose which option they pair our popular afternoon tea with. "

Who thinks that a dry scone with jam goes with an Espresso Martini ?!? At least it clears it up that Afternoon Tea is actually the scone. Despite being a very loyal customer I think they have got this one wrong and need to put their hand up to it rather than keep digging.

Last edited by Robespierre; May 14, 2019 at 10:52 am
Old May 14, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA6948
https://twitter.com/joncampling/stat...178495490?s=21

The story is picking up on twitter while another passenger is upset to have had to pay tea with his afternoon tea.
And the till receipt is quite telling, in that it puts beyond dispute the fact that the name of the product consisting of a scone, cream and jam is sold by BA is "afternoon tea", not "scone". So, yes, I think that it is now clearly established beyond any doubt that BA sells a product that it calls "afternoon tea" which consists of a scone, jam and clotted cream but which does not include tea.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by NickB
And the till receipt is quite telling, in that it puts beyond dispute the fact that the name of the product consisting of a scone, cream and jam is sold by BA is "afternoon tea", not "scone". So, yes, I think that it is now clearly established beyond any doubt that BA sells a product that it calls "afternoon tea" which consists of a scone, jam and clotted cream but which does not include tea.
whats also telling is that he ordered Earl Grey, so individually pricing the drink separately does provide customers with options. Although it doesn’t mention Earl Grey tea on the receipt either, one assumes that it was indeed a cuppa.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So all you get for a fiver is a scone with jam and cream? That does seem overpriced.
m3red likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
So much for the argument that they don’t actually sell a product called afternoon tea, eh? I’m not British and don’t fly BA, so I don’t have a dog in this fight, but it’s a bit disingenuous to claim it’s clear that “Afternoon Tea” is the header when there’s only one item under it on that page (the scone), as the drinks are actually on the next page.

Put it this way - did the passengers who felt misled order a scone and then act surprised when it didn’t come with tea, or did they ask for the “afternoon tea”? And if it’s the latter, did the crew explain that’s the category heading and the items are actually sold a la carte, or did they just bring the scone and then explain the tea is extra? If it’s the latter (which I strongly suspect), then yeah, it’s misleading. When you have to resort to legal-argument levels of technicality to justify wording on a menu, you’ve lost the concept of customer service. This is getting to be like the thread about the no-show fee at the St. Regis Aspen.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by navylad

whats also telling is that he ordered Earl Grey, so individually pricing the drink separately does provide customers with options. Although it doesn’t mention Earl Grey tea on the receipt either, one assumes that it was indeed a cuppa.
If you click the link to Twitter and then click the image, it shows the full line as “BH017 - EARL GREY”; it’s just cropped in the preview above.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by strickerj
So much for the argument that they don’t actually sell a product called afternoon tea, eh? I’m not British and don’t fly BA, so I don’t have a dog in this fight, but it’s a bit disingenuous to claim it’s clear that “Afternoon Tea” is the header when there’s only one item under it on that page (the scone), as the drinks are actually on the next page.

Put it this way - did the passengers who felt misled order a scone and then act surprised when it didn’t come with tea, or did they ask for the “afternoon tea”? And if it’s the latter, did the crew explain that’s the category heading and the items are actually sold a la carte, or did they just bring the scone and then explain the tea is extra? If it’s the latter (which I strongly suspect), then yeah, it’s misleading. When you have to resort to legal-argument levels of technicality to justify wording on a menu, you’ve lost the concept of customer service. This is getting to be like the thread about the no-show fee at the St. Regis Aspen.
indeed as per post #19 the drinks are on the next page with no additional headers

Originally Posted by strickerj

If you click the link to Twitter and then click the image, it shows the full line as “BH017 - EARL GREY”; it’s just cropped in the preview above.
Yes, I’m aware how twitter works and crops thanks? The point I was making in a tongue and cheek comment was that it doesn’t call it tea but yet it was in fact tea.

Originally Posted by BA6948

this was directed at me apparently. I said the story has been picked up: that meant other users [ are retweeting the afternoon tea story!!! Looool
Currently a grand total of one retweet.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I did laugh at the fake Senor Alex Cruz's reply regarding the afternoon tea:
"In Spain an afternoon tea is an afternoon nap - you're lucky I included the scone!"

wrp96, Tobias-UK, Ldnn1 and 1 others like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
So all you get for a fiver is a scone with jam and cream? That does seem overpriced.
As flagged up-thread, M&S in-store do the scone and a cuppa for Ł4
HIDDY and icegirl like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
What BA is offering here is more 'Cream Tea' this is generally scones, clotted cream, jam and should be served with a pot of tea.

Proper Traditional Afternooon Tea should consist of at least 4 assorted finger sandwiches, 2 scones with cream and preserves, 3 or 4 assorted cakes and be served with a pot of tea in either with the choice of Earl Grey, Lapsang or Darjeeling. This is how it is normally done in most top end London 5 star hotels and cost around Ł60 per person plus service charge.
msmorley, HIDDY, origin and 3 others like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Am I the only person who read the thread title and thought that someone had had to be summoned to see the chief pilot?
navylad likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also not British, nor a BA FF, but I've got to say I find it odd that the flag carrier for a nation in whose culture offering a cuppa is a fundamental feature of hospitality and comfort, and where the drink itself is so thoroughly embedded in the national identity, is selling tea as an extra on a menu item called "Afternoon Tea."
A truly odd way to make a few extra quid.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Exactly. I’d be interested to know what the crew have to input on their machine when a customer orders one. I may of course be wrong but I’d be surprised if the descriptive element was not, yet again, “afternoon tea” rather than scone, as per the resulting receipt.
User Name likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 14, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
Yes, I’m aware how twitter works and crops thanks? The point I was making in a tongue and cheek comment was that it doesn’t call it tea but yet it was in fact tea.
Sorry, from your previous comment it sounded as though you weren't able to see the entire image with "Earl Grey" on it, since you mentioned no reference to tea on the receipt, and I'm pretty sure BA isn't selling you a noble title for Ł2.50.
CappuccinoAddict and navylad like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Let’s hope they put McDonalds Cheeseburgers on the next refresh of the menu. I love a cheeseburger with my cuppa of Darjeeling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.