Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago or Toronto

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
I hope you will consider Nashville for your holiday.
We now have a First class cabin on the 787-9 and are daily service!
4-5 days here would be a blast for you.
Here in the US we are the IT city these days!
Another excellent choice although very different.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Had never been to Chicago but had visited Toronto. Went to Chicago last year. Bowled over by it. As people have said great architecture and museums but a really interesting city to visit.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I live in Chicago and just planned a global meeting here for our global colleagues. I also vacationed in Toronto last summer including Niagra Falls. I think for sightseeing and museums, Chicago wins hands down. There’s a lot to see and do here as already mentioned. If you haven’t been, I think it’s an excellent choice. I have never been to the Radisson Blu, but it looks nice. My favorite Chicago hotel is the Waldorf, but it can be a bit far from the main parks and museums by foot.

In Toronto, we loved our stay at the Adelaide (now St. Regis). Very central location and amazing service. While definitely a tourist trap, we actually loved the CN tower and had dinner there. As for the Falls, I thought it was a bit more run down than I remembered as a child. While the views are amazing, there’s nothing else to do there. And it was quite a drive from Toronto.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Both great cities, but I’d give Chicago the edge. What about Montréal? Easily my favorite city in Canada (lived there for 4 years) and among my favorite cities in North Anerica overall. Tons to see and do, especially in the summer.

Not sure if BA has F to YUL, if that matters.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by swingaling
Both great cities, but I’d give Chicago the edge. What about Montréal? Easily my favorite city in Canada (lived there for 4 years) and among my favorite cities in North Anerica overall. Tons to see and do, especially in the summer.

Not sure if BA has F to YUL, if that matters.
Yeah, my top tier for Canadian cities would be Quebec City, Vancouver, and Montreal. I also love Halifax, though it is a different scale than these three (and actually I love the whole peninsula of Halifax and then south/west). I think Toronto would be next.

The Radisson Blu in Chicago is a lovely property -- I've been in it several times, but didn't stay there. I've been to meetings and receptions. I'm not keen on the location -- it is central but somehow isolated, albeit only a few blocks from Michigan Ave. My favorites are the Blackstone, Drake, and Marriott Miracle Mile (it is an OK hotel but super-central).
Old May 13, 2019, 2:01 am

I haven't visited Chicago, but I loved Toronto.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:06 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
Looking for advice from BA experts out there. We’re looking to use our final 241 and 140,000 avios balance for a child-free 4/5 night break next June. We haven’t been to many North American cities, but loved New York. Ideally we want somewhere we can easily book first class (probably our only opportunity to experience this)and also has a half decent Radisson, as I have loads of points!

Currently thinking about Toronto (including a day trip to Niagara) or Chicago (heard it’s a great city and the Radisson Blu looks fab). We enjoy general sightseeing, the odd museum and good food!

Any thoughts or recommendations, or other places we should consider?
Can vouch for both Chicago and the Radisson Blu Aqua. Great city and hotel combo
Go in Spring/Autumn though, not winter..!
Old May 13, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Yeah, my top tier for Canadian cities would be Quebec City, Vancouver, and Montreal. I also love Halifax, though it is a different scale than these three (and actually I love the whole peninsula of Halifax and then south/west). I think Toronto would be next.

The Radisson Blu in Chicago is a lovely property -- I've been in it several times, but didn't stay there. I've been to meetings and receptions. I'm not keen on the location -- it is central but somehow isolated, albeit only a few blocks from Michigan Ave. My favorites are the Blackstone, Drake, and Marriott Miracle Mile (it is an OK hotel but super-central).
Between Chicago & Toronto I would choose Vancouver. lol BA flies LHR-YVR with the 747 in low season & the A380 in high season. It is a fascinating multi-cultural City on the ocean with majestic mountains and recreational opportunities abound. You will find opportunity from Chinatown to Gastown, from Granville Island to the famous shopping area along Robsin Street. Yaletown, built on the former grounds of the 1986 World's Exposition, is also vibrant. Stanley Park on lands donated by Lord Stanley, the namesake of the Stanley Cup in NHL Hockey has the Aquarium & Zoo, trails, old-growth forest and a 6 mile Seawall for pedestrians and cyclists encompassing the Park with beaches and incredible views of the North Shore Mountains. The Seawall also takes you under the Lion's Gate Bridge linking Vancouver to North Vancouver across Burrard inlet. Watch for cruise ships coming and going on their Alaska itineraries from Canada Place. It is also easy access to the Capalino Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain (ski hill, take the gondola up, watch for deer & bears) which affords views to Vancouver Island, 35 miles across The Strait of Georgia, on a clear Day.

You will find excellent bars & restaurants commensurate with the multi-cultural diversity. Fresh seafood and locally grown produce are excellent too.

Just another suggestion. Keep in mind your Ł will go further in Canada. If I have enticed you away from Toronto & Chicago, google some of the spots I mentioned.

James
Old May 13, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Another vote for Chicago here - 4-5 days in June would be perfect, and Chicago would be (in my view) more exciting as a rare kid-free break: you could eat out, head up for late drinks at a blues bar etc.; go for a run along the lake early morning, take out some bikes round the park - so much to do and enjoy

I'm a big Chicago fan - I like New York, but I prefer Chicago for the less frenetic and more 'authentic American' feel: and it's a visually very impressive city, easy to walk around the centre, has a world class art museum (if you are at all into impressionist painting, you simply have to go see their collection!) and much else to recommend it

I normally go to Chicago on business but even on those trips have found time to really enjoy the city
Old May 13, 2019, 4:35 am
Original Poster

James, Vancouver is definitely a great city, but not for this trip. I have family in Calgary and spent a summer there. I want to do Vancouver again but as part of a bigger family trip. The availability could also be an issue too (as could not having enough avios for F!)
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:18 am

So much to think about, slightly leaning towards Toronto. I can remember loving Niagara on the Lake when I was a child, but I also love a nice winery, so that’s tempting me. My husband generally isn’t one for architecture photography, it tends to be trekking through Northumberland finding waterfalls (obviously on a smaller scale to Niagara) and beaches. I was originally set on Chicago, then I thought I needed a back up plan if I couldn’t get first class.
I’ve got enough points for 4 nights in a standard room in Chicago or a business class room in Toronto, we’d probably try to pay for an upgrade in Chicago to get the lounge and breakfast.
It’s a good dilemma to have, thanks for all the input.
If it's your intention to upgrade to a club room for lounge access and breakfast at Radisson Blu Aqua, do some research first.
As a Radisson Gold member I did this in Spring last year, the only drinks available in the lounge at happy hour were red or white wine, and breakfast served there isn't a patch on the wonderful main restaurant offering downstairs.
Also, the club rooms are pretty high up where you'd expect to have a great view, however the glass was so dirty we couldn't see out of the windows!
There is of course the option to go out onto the scary balcony... but hold on tight, it's ain't called the windy city for nothing!
Wasn't worth it back then, I would just book B&B.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by m.photog
.. We enjoy spending a couple days in the miracle mile area for some nice restaurants and a great selection of hotels. ......
Oak Park is also close by and has the largest concentration of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings anywhere. He started his career in Oak Park and the Robie House is on the campus of the University of Chicago. The Johnson Wax building and Wingspread, two of his great works are nearby in Racine WI.
I think you'll find it's the Magnificent Mile and not the Miracle Mile.

Frank Lloyd Wrights' home and studio is in Oak Park and a worthwhile visit, especially as part of one of the many walking tours.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
James, Vancouver is definitely a great city, but not for this trip. I have family in Calgary and spent a summer there. I want to do Vancouver again but as part of a bigger family trip. The availability could also be an issue too (as could not having enough avios for F!)
Vancouver is my hometown but I now live in Kelowna nearly 4000km (2500 miles) from Toronto. The last time I was in Toronto was 2005. Canada is a vast land and from the West Coast, travel to the UK & Europe, is more often cheaper than flying to Toronto and always cheaper than flying to Eastern Canada. Fun Fact! You are closer to St. Johns Newfoundland than I am. Second Fun Fact: The shortest distance via road (39 hours) between Kelowna and Toronto is via the United States.

If I had the option between Toronto & Chicago, this British Columbia Boy would choose.... Chicago. I have only driven through on a road trip but eager to visit the city.

James YLW (10th Busiest Airport in Canada)
Old May 13, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Due to the fact I only fly in WTP and economy, when I use my 241 voucher, I try to go as far as possible and as long as possible in First or Club World on the BA network. This has meant me and the OH holidaying in places we would not normally consider but have enjoyed every single destination visited. We used a voucher to go to Austin (Texas) but hired a car and drove to San Antonio. I love driving in the US plus San Antonio's hotels were significantly cheaper than Austin as well as fantastic walks and trails and plenty to see and do. Another great visit was San Diego, where we did not hire a car but walked and took public transport. Museums and parks were plentiful and made for a great break.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
I’ve been to both, Chicago not for a while admittedly.

I found the architecture in Toronto quite boring, far too many glass condos, and took away from the colonial buildings that still survive down town.

Conversely, taking the short trip to see the falls is well worth it, and offers something Chicago can’t compare with.

The roundhouse and CN Tower are good to visit, loved the Steamwhistle brewery. Lovely pilsner.

You can’t really go wrong with either, to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.