Wiki Posts
Search

Using a mobile/tablet without headphones

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Using a mobile/tablet without headphones

When did it become ok to watch video or play a game on your phone or tablet with the sound coming through the speakers rather than headphones.

For a while children have gotten away with this whilst their parents take the easy option, but I noticed it on a flight last week from an adult, and today two gentlemen sat in CE happily watching a succession of loud videos oblivious to the annoyance they were causing. The cabin crew chose to do nothing about it.

When did this become ok, and assuming it isn’t, shouldn’t the cabin crew politely intervene?
Morland, NoY, KBMIFlyer and 17 others like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
it never became okay.

just turn on your bluebooth boombox and play the worst music you could imagine (i totally recommend German/Austrian mid-century schlager music). i think, they get this passiv-agressive hint.

otherwise - and this is obviously my favourite option - talk to them and ask them how they would feel if you would have done whats stated above.
dajdavies likes this.

Last edited by Nephoi; May 12, 2019 at 8:04 am
Old May 12, 2019, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Nephoi
it never became okay.

just turn on your bluebooth boombox and play the worst music you could imagine (i totally recommend German/Austrian mid-century schlager music). i think, they get this passiv-agressive hint.

otherwise talk to them and ask them how they would feel if you would have done whats stated above.
I’m not sure this is one where it’s ok for passengers to sort out. Most don’t sit in CE wishing to modify other passenger behaviour. The crew should be.
NoY, watersign, RockyRobin and 1 others like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s not OK. In the first instance I would ask the crew to address, and if they won’t then I would tackle head on. There does seem to be a different between nationalities in what is acceptable but on a plane, silence should rule.
lukew, IAMORGAN, origin and 6 others like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Is it one for the crew to sort out? If it were on a train or a bus, would you tell the ticket inspector or driver? Or take it up with the individual causing the problem?

I fully agree that it's obnoxious behaviour, but I'd either tell the perpetrator myself, or put my own earphones in and ignore it, depending on how pugnacious I'm feeling on that particular day. I don't think it's the crew's problem...
Mightymouse likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it's just one person sharing a short video with a mate then no problem on a day flight....I've witnessed such before and just put it down to a sign of the times. If it's long or on a night flight then I would either tell them to get a grip or have a word with the cabin crew.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP carefully dodges the question of whether he asked the CC to deal with the issue. All he says is, "The cabin crew chose to do nothing about it." The point blank question to OP is what did he do? Did he make a complaint to the CC and ask them to deal with it? What was their reaction?

Indeed the crew will generally deal with noise complaints of all sorts. They are trained to do so in a non-confrontational manner and can be quite effective. When asked.

Analogies to buses and trains do not apply. Cabin crew are neither drivers nor ticket inspectors. Their function, other than in emergencies, is passenger comfort and convenience.
jib71, PAL62V, argonath and 4 others like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I have in the past politely asked the CC to have a word and they have as a rule done so with great success.

Can not for the life of me understand why someone would do such a wretched thing to begin with.
Blenheim, gypsyjaney and nilsfr69 like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:22 am

Perhaps carry a cheap pair of ear buds and offer them to the culprits. “I notice you forgot to pack your earphones, allow me to loan you my extra pair,”.......
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Nephoi
I reckon about 2/3 of Brits would not get that passive aggressiveness, and probably almost no foreigner. On the contrary, you might contribute to a perception of "it is normal behaviour".

I'm more of a "if it bothers me, I say something type" - seems to work reasonably well as most people are genuinely unaware that they make a nuisance of themselves.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Had it last week flying ARN-LHR where someone played phone videos of dance music loudly, despite having headphones slung around his neck...

Crew didnt say anything which mildly surprised me as he did this throughout the safety briefing, ignoring them and letting speakers play while it was going on.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
This happens sometimes and I always tell the crew if goes on for a long time and always the crew will tell the passenger that he is disturbing other passengers. I have seen a lot of this with either Chinese or Arab passengers. But they too shut the noise off.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have seen it with parents trying to entertain young kids. I appreciate that they can't use headphones but I still consider it rude and wrong. I have asked the parent to turn it off myself with success but I think in future I will ask the CC... it could turn into an argument with the wrong parent.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Often1
OP carefully dodges the question of whether he asked the CC to deal with the issue. All he says is, "The cabin crew chose to do nothing about it." The point blank question to OP is what did he do? Did he make a complaint to the CC and ask them to deal with it? What was their reaction?

Indeed the crew will generally deal with noise complaints of all sorts. They are trained to do so in a non-confrontational manner and can be quite effective. When asked.

Analogies to buses and trains do not apply. Cabin crew are neither drivers nor ticket inspectors. Their function, other than in emergencies, is passenger comfort and convenience.
i personally do not feel it should be necessary for any individual passenger to complain for crew to ensure a respectful environment onboard. They can use their own judgement as to what is reasonable passenger behaviour and what is not. Listening to videos or the likes without headset firmly fits in the latter category in my view, and if the crew ‘chose not to intervene’ regardless of whether any passenger asked them to, I personally consider that they were completely wrong.

It’s a very personal thing and I’m sure many will disagree with me, but iin fact I have little sympathy for passenger requests as a source of intervention. A passenger can complain about x, they are merely indicating their personal interest or preference be it about the behaviour of another or the cabin temperature. The crew are not supposed to ensure that those keener on expressing such preference get their way but on enforcing standards deemed to be in the interest of the whole cabin (or consistent with the airline’s view of it) and in my view they should make that judgement independently rather than be swayed by passenger x or y.
Calchas likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 12, 2019 at 1:28 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by Deltus
Is it one for the crew to sort out? If it were on a train or a bus, would you tell the ticket inspector or driver? Or take it up with the individual causing the problem?

I fully agree that it's obnoxious behaviour, but I'd either tell the perpetrator myself, or put my own earphones in and ignore it, depending on how pugnacious I'm feeling on that particular day. I don't think it's the crew's problem...
I think in an aircraft it isn't the right thing for passengers to confront each other. I'd be nervous that I would end being accused as the aggressor for a start.

The Crew are in charge up there
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.