Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using a mobile/tablet without headphones

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I was on a BA flight a few months back where the parents in front of me did the same with their kid. It was horrendous. I asked the cabin staff to intervene and she did nothing.
citytom likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:32 am

I always find "Hiya, would you like some help with that?" followed by continuous eye contact and silence works well...
Old May 13, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by gms
I've found that crew seem increasingly oblivious to such behaviour. To be fair it's probably harder for them to notice such things when they are maybe walking past a row. It only becomes annoying when you are sat in close proximity. So you either have to ask the crew to intervene or do it yourself. Personally, I think airlines should have a clear policy on this - no speakerphones, kids gaming on silent (unless headphones are used) and headphone volumes should be low enough to avoid leakage of sound.

I had an incident just a couple of months ago. A 50 something gentleman starting playing some videos on his phone at a volume level that was pretty annoying. I was sat directly in front of him. After about 90 seconds I figured it wasn't going to be a short video and I had had enough and was about to turn around when the guy next to him just said "don't you have any headphones you can use?". At which point the offender sheepishly said he did and sort of apologised.

Holding his phone at arm's length on speakerphone meant it was much closer to my ears than his. I think there are just too many people living in their own selfish bubble these days with no consideration about those around them.
I posted a Tale From The Buffet a while ago on this sort of thing. This occured ages ago on a FGW train which you can tell because it involves a buffet and there aren't (m)any of them any more. I'm not a FGW employee but I was present & I got the rest of the story after talking to the Train Manager whilst at the buffet.

There is a yob - for want of a better word - sitting in a shell suit in the 1st quite carriage of an HST shouting into his mobile phone (think Dom Jolly & Trigger Happy). This is early evening, and there are a few people (including me) in this carriage besides him, and one of them obviously very pissed off, goes off towards the buffet. The TM arrives shortly afterwards and asks to see Yobbys ticket, Yobby tells his caller he'll be 30 seconds, puts down phone says he will have to find it, "It's in my bag somewhere, come back in five minutes yeah". TM says that he needs to see the ticket now or he'll have to charge him the full price for a 1st Single for the entire length of his journey.

Yobby yells into phone that he'll call back, pulls large bag out of luggage rack and starts searching for the elusive ticket. Whilst unpacking the phone starts to ring, he stops to answer this, again yelling into the phone, but was quick (thankfully). TM at this point asks if Yobby actually has a ticket at all.

He rather tersely says that he does & a few minutes later he produces a 1st ticket and sits down again already on his phone again now repacking his bag. TM coughs and Yobby enquires as to the problem now (using language starting with the 6th letter of the alphabet), whereupon he is asked if he has the Senior Railcard that the ticket was bought with.

Yobby looks horrified and tells his caller he'll have to call him/her back TM says to get the bag and follow him, Yobby is not seen or heard from again.

When I went to the buffet to get a drink and some food, the TM was standing there so I enquired as to what had happened to Yobby. TM said he had threatened him with the Transport Police meeting the train at Oxford, if he didn't cough up the full fare for 1st, and explain where he got the ticket from (might have nicked it, so fair question). Turns out after his grandfathers funeral, he was round at the house saw the ticket and borrowed it, Yobby was now seriously out of pocket because of the upwards of Ł60 ($120) he had been made to fork out for his unticketed travel.

He had then decided to leave the train at Oxford, despite having just paid for a 1st single to Hereford, as he now couldn't afford the return journey by train.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I posted a Tale From The Buffet a while ago on this sort of thing. This occured ages ago on a FGW train which you can tell because it involves a buffet and there aren't (m)any of them any more. I'm not a FGW employee but I was present & I got the rest of the story after talking to the Train Manager whilst at the buffet.

He had then decided to leave the train at Oxford, despite having just paid for a 1st single to Hereford, as he now couldn't afford the return journey by train.
Yob as he undoubtedly was, I can't help feeling a little bit sorry for him.
jib71 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm quiet and generally non-confrontational American with admittedly iffy taste in music at times. And will admit to having the Honorable Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby Got Back" as a possible nuclear level countermeasure on my own personal electronic device in case things ever get too bad in this regard, even though i'd probably never have the guts to actually use it.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by hsmall
You possibly wouldn't if you'd heard his conversation. Some of that would have made most people feel embarrassed/outraged/sick
jib71, hsmall and strickerj like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Yes, the crew should take care of it once aware of the issue. The constant imposition of CONTROLLABLE personal activities on others' travel experiences shouldn't be tolerated - if people forget their their headphones, they should go without. This includes children too.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I'm not excusing the behavior but I also blame the phone manufacturers for putting out devices now without headphone jacks. And since the dongle easily gets lost, it's much easier to just use the tinny speakers at full volume... Thanks, (insert fruit-based device here, though others are guilty as well).
@TEDisgone Wireless headphones have been available for almost two decades now - jacks aren't necessarily required. You can buy wireless headphones for under $10, so that's not really an excuse for inconsiderate, uncivilized people.
Calchas and strickerj like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by jimlad48
Had it last week flying ARN-LHR where someone played phone videos of dance music loudly, despite having headphones slung around his neck...

Crew didnt say anything which mildly surprised me as he did this throughout the safety briefing, ignoring them and letting speakers play while it was going on.
Had a mother with kid play child videos for a good 40 minutes or so thinking everyone in the plane liked nursery rhymes?!
Old May 14, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I don't. The funeral story was probably made up and even if not, essentially he rifled through his granddad's stuff at the wake and half inched a senior railcard so he could unlawfully defraud the train company of money which will end up hitting fare paying passengers.

So basically chav lowlife in my opinion, until proven otherwise.

There's no getting away from the fact that some people are just out to screw the world and think it owes them something.....

Ok rant over now....
strickerj and citytom like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:51 am

I was that person once.

I was watching something on my tablet on a night flight and suddenly the sound dropped a bit so I cranked up the volume. Some minutes later an exasperated person in the row ahead asked me to turn it off.

Unrealised by me the earphones had come unplugged earlier. I was SO mortified. I still shudder thinking about it.
orbitmic, Pascoe, Calchas and 2 others like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I hope you had the good grace to contact the CC and ask that they arrange for the police to meet you upon arrival. :-)
windowontheAside likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: EC Silver FC Silver
Originally Posted by fairhsa
I was on a BA flight a few months back where the parents in front of me did the same with their kid. It was horrendous. I asked the cabin staff to intervene and she did nothing.
Appreciate the OP didn't mention whether or not they notified CC, though disappointed if not surprised to see multiple examples of BA CC inaction in the responses. I've had it happen on a Wizz Air flight and the Cabin Crew were relatively firm with the (British) passenger 5+ rows ahead of us playing Avengers on full-volume for him and his son, though they still only asked him to turn it down (not off), twice. Of course I'm sure BA Cabin Crew are mindful of sensationalist media stories that emerge when they deal with (what your average FT-member would consider) unruly passengers.

I'd usually take my complaint up directly with the culprit, though aviation rules to make me somewhat hesitant; if you confront a passenger on a Train or Bus you are only risking your personal safety, if you confront a fellow passenger on a flight it can end up with a criminal record. I once (politely) asked a British OAP to turn down the music she was blaring out of her phone in a lounge at PMI only to be threatened by her OAP husband. Needless to say the local lounge manager was less than impressed with us Brits - and he had my every sympathy.

At least noise cancelling headphones are advancing almost as quickly as loud-speakers on phones/tablets....
Old May 14, 2019, 9:54 am

Point out to the cabin crew that you won't be able to hear their instructions above the din.

This is why airlines are going to regret getting rid of seatback entertainment, as some have. They controlled the sound, and could interrupt to post the safety video, make an announcement, and so forth.

At time of sale of tickets, notice is posted that all devices must be operated with earphones could be an idea.
tigertanaka and strickerj like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
+1
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
You possibly wouldn't if you'd heard his conversation. Some of that would have made most people feel embarrassed/outraged/sick
Top marks for the story telling. It worked like a Roald Dahl Tale of the Unexpected. I'm torn between sanctimonious schadenfreude and hug-a-hoodie compassion. I don't know if these are tears of laughter or sorrow.
hsmall and EDIwanderer like this.

Last edited by jib71; May 14, 2019 at 10:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.