FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Premium class seat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1969265-premium-class-seat.html)

Bally1975 May 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Premium class seat

Has anyone flown in the BA 777 new premium class seat and is it worth the extra?

The _Banking_Scot May 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi

Welcome to flyertalk and the BA forum Bally1975!

What do you mean by Premium class? ( ie what cabin) as generally any cabin above economy is referred to as premium.

BA has above Economy ( or World Traveller/Euro Traveller)

World Traveller Plus ( Premium Economy)
Club World/Club Europe ( Business)
First

Regards

TBS

Bally1975 May 11, 2019 2:46 pm

World Traveller Plus ( Premium Economy) seat

madfish May 11, 2019 3:17 pm

What one person puts on the value of WTP compared to WT is not the same as another persons. However, an indication of route and cost difference may solicit a range of responses.

To me the value is more to do with increased tier points. There is not a huge gulf between WT/WTP especially when comparing WTP/CW.

corporate-wage-slave May 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks for the clarification Bally1975, and welcome to the BA forum, welcome also to Flyertalk, I hope that you can continue to participate here.

I'm going to guess your flight is a Gatwick one, since that is the hub that has seen the most recent upgrade on any scale. And there is more about that here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ly-2018-a.html

and photos are here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...eating-wt.html

By all means revert if you meant something else.

As to whether it is worth the extra, that's so subjective. The car market at one point supported both Trabants and Bentleys, and both cars had their admirers. But it's a better seat with more facilities, with better food and a smaller cabin.

Bally1975 May 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Thanks

yes Gatwick to Male and your correct the tier points difference is not great

fruitcage May 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Personally I think an extra few hundred £ is well worth the bigger seat, foot rest and better service and food, especially on the refurbished planes. Plenty of people also think it’s a waste of money.

MADPhil May 11, 2019 4:23 pm

As always, it depends on how much it is worth to you and what else you might spend the money on but choosing dates in June it looks as if the incremental cost for the round trip would be quite modest compared with the increase in comfort if you choose BA.

Geo772 May 12, 2019 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Bally1975 (Post 31091248)
Thanks

yes Gatwick to Male and your correct the tier points difference is not great

Gatwick to Male is operated by a Rolls Royce powered 777 rather than a GE powered one. The interiors have not yet been updated on these aircraft (the first is currently being updated and is due back at Gatwick this coming week).

Swanhunter May 12, 2019 12:38 am

Always worth it. Long economy is actively unpleasant, WT+ is tolerable.

South London Bon Viveur May 12, 2019 2:41 am

Generally worth the extra money in my opinion, although there is obviously a limit to that. There are some routes where WTP is almost as dear as CW.

Bally1975 May 12, 2019 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 31092147)
Always worth it. Long economy is actively unpleasant, WT+ is tolerable.

I feel your pain there, that’s why I want to see if the new seat is better as there old ones are awful

Swanhunter May 12, 2019 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Bally1975 (Post 31092368)

I feel your pain there, that’s why I want to see if the new seat is better as there old ones are awful

The old WT+ aren’t amazing but still much better than economy.

Bally1975 May 12, 2019 3:00 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur (Post 31092338)
Generally worth the extra money in my opinion, although there is obviously a limit to that. There are some routes where WTP is almost as dear as CW.

exactly, and you don’t get to use the lounge! WTP can be heavily over priced

GM1985 May 12, 2019 5:18 am

I like WT+. Especially for day flights. The smaller, quieter cabin is usually more relaxing. The food and service are better than Economy. The biggest plus (for me, at 6ft) are the extra few inches of legroom which makes all the difference. Those of a smaller stature may not feel as much benefit in that respect.

The question of whether it’s worth the extra cost is subjective (as oft stated in these parts), particularly in a cabin like WT+ where the price difference can swing wildly.

Last year, on an MCO-LGW flight, the difference from WT to WT+ was just £136 which is “no brainer” territory to me. Other times I’ve seen the price more than 2x the WT fare and just a few £100 shy of the cheapest CW fare which, to me, isn’t worth it. For the grey areas in between, other factors like flight length, bank balance and TP need comes in to play.