Premium class seat

Old May 12, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Bally1975
Has anyone flown in the BA 777 new premium class seat and is it worth the extra?
The seats are much much better than the old ones.

As to if its worth the extra, it completely depends on what the extra is.

To Male, I'd personally pay maybe 150-200 each way. Anything more and I'd rather keep the cash.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Personally I think an extra few hundred is well worth the bigger seat, foot rest and better service and food, especially on the refurbished planes. Plenty of people also think it’s a waste of money.

I do have to contrast this, as I've just done my first WTP segment and I really do regret paying extra (299 each way). Heck, I hope I am able to bag an upgrade to Club on the return flight today.

Service was no better than Economy. They seemed to have four cabin crew for a full 787 for WTP + WT. We didn't have any PDB, I was uncomfortably thirsty until they finished the meal service and picked up the trays (three hours into the flight!) and walked back to the galleys to pick up some water. They're 250ml bottles, and they don't have any extras with the first meal service, so I asked for an extra when they get the time, and it didn't show up, so I went to get it. I don't think I can fault the CC on this flight. Four people for WTP + WT is just unacceptable. I wasn't expecting anything crazy... just didn't want to sit with my empty tray for a whole hour.

Food is good but not sure it's much better than Economy. The bubbles were disappointing. The seat, while bigger, makes sleeping against the window almost impossible because the headrest isn't flat but rather curved. The tray table is flimsier than in Economy as it folds out of your seat and it's quite small and thin. I had to put my laptop on my thighs to get comfortable. It did get warm after a bit.

I cannot fathom why anyone would use this product. I am 6'4 and would be happier in an Economy seat for the price. That's coming from someone who has no problem paying for Club either. I suspect people that are happy with it have different expectations, or more likely, had a better experience.

Last edited by thebigben; May 12, 2019 at 9:36 am
Old May 12, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
I can only think back to my first WTP (first premium of any sort) experience. Compared to economy it was fantastic. I could stretch my arms out and not touch the seat in front. The extra legroom meant I could cross my legs and it just felt like being in an armchair, not a cramped seat. At that time food was the same as economy but I wasnt bothered about that, it was all about the space.
Whether its worth it only you can decide, but I loved it.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I'll have my first WTP ever this week, on a day flight on a 787, bulkhead row, and I'm curious to see what would be like... really hoping it will be much better than Y.
I also hope I will be able to raise my leg at least a bit, as they tend to swell up easily when seated for hours.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Lefly
I'll have my first WTP ever this week, on a day flight on a 787, bulkhead row, and I'm curious to see what would be like... really hoping it will be much better than Y.
I also hope I will be able to raise my leg at least a bit, as they tend to swell up easily when seated for hours.
Top tip fr the bulkhead is to have a packed out small bag (I use my laptop bag with extra clothes in it. I take this down and use it as a footrest and pretend I'm lying flat.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Top tip fr the bulkhead is to have a packed out small bag (I use my laptop bag with extra clothes in it. I take this down and use it as a footrest and pretend I'm lying flat.
That was indeed my intention
I nope no one will have something against it. I also hope to be able to move to the bassinet window seat...
Old May 13, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by GM1985

Last year, on an MCO-LGW flight, the difference from WT to WT+ was just 136 which is no brainer territory to me. Other times Ive seen the price more than 2x the WT fare and just a few 100 shy of the cheapest CW fare which, to me, isnt worth it. For the grey areas in between, other factors like flight length, bank balance and TP need comes in to play.
There's always the slight extra chance of an Op Up to CW if you're sitting in WTP (depending on who you are, who is in your party, flight loading etc). Had a spate of these a few years back when travelling with my wife and they were looking like VERY good value seats then.
GM1985 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:35 am
Original Poster

They want 1360.00 to upgrade the pair of us one way
Old May 13, 2019, 3:43 am

I'm a big fan of WT+ in any form, old, new or refurb but I wouldn't pay that kind of premium. I'm not sure anyone would - at that sort of money I'd be looking to upgrade to CW,

That's presumably a fare difference upgrade rather than a POUG.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:44 am
Original Poster

it must be, i would rather upgrade my room than spend that. i think it was 900.00 to upgrade on the way home too
Old May 13, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
The sweetspot / grey area on longhaul I always feel for me is somewhere ard GBP500. Much south of there and it's a straightforward yes, much north of there and it's likely to be a no.
Bally1975 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Bally1975
They want 1360.00 to upgrade the pair of us one way
It is in no way worth that

Im not surprised at that cost to MLE though. I imagine a large number of seats are snapped up when booked as a package
Old May 13, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I love this idea, but I'd firstly need to sever my legs below the knee. How tall are you?
Old May 13, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
I find WTP/premium economy is very worthwhile as economy cabins continue to be densified. The extra width makes a material difference for me. But the key is to book directly into WTP, preferably during a sale or as part of a package, rather than booking WT and then hoping for a POUG or AUP. I'm sure it varies a lot by route/season, but for the routes I travel the price difference between WT and WTP at booking can often be lower than the POUG price I've been offered the few times I booked WT and then regretted it later.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pascoe
There's always the slight extra chance of an Op Up to CW if you're sitting in WTP (depending on who you are, who is in your party, flight loading etc). Had a spate of these a few years back when travelling with my wife and they were looking like VERY good value seats then.
Very true. Another soft benefit of the smaller cabin does mean a slight increase in the chance of an upgrade. Ive had a run of good luck in that respect recently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.