Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Crew, thank you for your hard work”

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I hate it. Corporate, empty, mutual back slapping which customers should never have to witness. Preferably because it is dropped entirely by BA as it is based on nothing.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The captain has made the same announcement before landing: "Thank you for your hard work cabin attendants, you may now take your seat for landing."
That would typically be the CSD, CSM or SCCM who would make that announcement, which is a core part of the landing protocols. And I suspect the word they used was cabin crew, there are no attendants on BA.

As for the main topic, it is just one of those forms of wording that get all of us through the day, it isn't anything I would interpret too deeply.
flygirl68 and golfmad like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dubistokay
Does anybody else have an issue with this announcement that seems to have become standard on BA? Does anyone here who works in a customer-facing environment finish their day with this announcement made to all customers? What about the pilots - who thanks them?

Really pleased to read this post. I thought I was the only miserable sod that found this self-serving twaddle grating.

BA's cabin crew are competent and (largely) good natured and helpful. But public appreciation in such a cheesy way from their supervisor is demeaning when they've simply done their job.

When the announcement is not made, can we assume someone in charge is NOT happy with work of his/her underlings?
Old May 11, 2019, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That would typically be the CSD, CSM or SCCM who would make that announcement, which is a core part of the landing protocols. And I suspect the word they used was cabin crew, there are no attendants on BA.

As for the main topic, it is just one of those forms of wording that get all of us through the day, it isn't anything I would interpret too deeply.
Unfortunately it seems par for the course on this forum to do exactly that...I have sympathy for those who listened to this message and had not received good customer service after a flight.. Apart from this I have no issue with the Captain thanking their crew after a flight.
golfmad likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
This has been brought up before, it certainly isn’t standard and in my opinion is totally inappropriate, unprofessional and will never happen on one of my flights.
SK, IAN-UK, ajamieson and 20 others like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:34 am

Only on FlyerTalk. I genuinely cannot fathom how people can have a strong view on this, one way or the other.

It’s just an announcement!!
Old May 11, 2019, 1:42 am

To me it has an air of snark. "Well I'll make a point of publicly saying thank you to show that lot that don't appreciate us" .
nancypants and nilsfr69 like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:44 am

It's obviously not a formal addition to the 'seats for landing' PA. It happens from time to time when individual CSMs like tag it on the end of the PA. I'm sure there are CSDs and PSRs that do it as well.
Obviously we can debrief on the bus if downroute. At LHR though, I believe WW and EF can make a dash for it as soon as the last customer is off so it might be the last opportunity for the CSD to say thanks after a trip.
On MF we all have to leave the aircraft together and walk as a group so there's a last opportunity for a 'thank you' here when we part ways.
orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Only on FlyerTalk. I genuinely cannot fathom how people can have a strong view on this, one way or the other.

It’s just an announcement!!
I’m surprised you cannot fathom this. The content and delivery of PAs is rather important and quite carefully considered, not just for airlines but other contexts too. They definitely have the ability to irritate, influence, encourage, enrage, etc. Matthew Parris in the Times has a particular bugbear about train announcements, especially ‘See it, say it, sorted’, which is utterly awful.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Cabin crew work as a team, it's a team effort onboard and this is simply acknowledgement of that from the senior cabin crew member leading the flight. It's nice to hear and I suspect it's more for the cabin crew than for passengers, it is after all, a cabin crew PA for them to take their seats for landing.

I certainly don't find this cringeworthy when I hear this announcement. Not yet heard it on a BA flight but 100% hear this from the inflight service manager on VS flights. I had the most AMAZING cabin crew on both my VS flights last week, same set of crew (with the only difference being 2 different HKG-based cabin crew) operated both outbound and return flights.

Service was spectacular in Premium, nothing was too much trouble and I took the time to chat with at least 6 cabin crew members (out of 10). What I could see - from the young, newly recruited girl who's been flying only 6 months, to the mother with young children who works part time and has been with the same carrier for 20 years - is that they absolutely loved their jobs. Yes, I've flown VS on this route in the same cabin before and the service has just been alright, nothing out of the ordinary. But at the end of the day (or, you could say, the flight) it has been a team effort, and every team member has participated in a saftey-critical role, or other non food and beverage related duty, whether that is the safety briefing onboard or ensuring seat belts are fastened, or checking and cleaning the toilets.

It's not all about keeping your wine glass topped up.
Bearface likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Well - the response may have been curt, but it has reasonable content
I’m sorry but this is inexcusable. The manner of the response makes the content utterly irrelevant.

I’m not sure I would ever ask for the cabin temperature to be changed, but I would have gone nuclear with the CSD had I gotten a reply like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Can I help you
This has been brought up before, it certainly isn’t standard and in my opinion is totally inappropriate, unprofessional and will never happen on one of my flights.
Do you instruct the captain not to say it?
Old May 11, 2019, 2:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It's not the captain who makes these announcements, their patter stops at 20 or 10 minutes to landing. Occasionally they say something at the gate - or more usually when not at the gate to make it clear we haven't arrived - but anything they say then would be customer-centric .
golfmad likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:40 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I think the announcement is entirely cursory, just like the “we’d like to welcome back executive club members and Oneworld frequent flyers”.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I would never do that but it is not in my experience something that they are guilty of.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.