Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by T8191
Returning to the Topic ( ) it is slightly more acceptable, but still IMO wrong!

Would I take, to a half-decent restaurant, my own little pack of cheese and some biscuits? No!
I think it's more nuanced than that.

I have a work acquaintance of mine who I no longer invite to meals because he doesn't understand the concept that in general you don't take your own food into restaurants. I find it frankly embarrassing, I'd rather not be there.

If it means you are sitting there eating your own food rather than their own. and it leaves them out of pocket as a result, I would say it's taking the pizza. But you're on a plane, nobody is financially worse off.

I have sometimes taken on board my own fine wine in the past for the crew to serve, and sometimes take on things like caviar and cheese if I think I'm going to be served crap. As it's no negative cost to them, I don't see the problem.

It's not unusual for some fine dining restaurants offer corkage, particularly on slower nights.

Here's one specific fairly unique example where I do take my own food into a restaurant. At the Maze Grill near me (a Ramsay establishment) I take my own HP sauce in for breakfast because they don't serve it. Otherwise the breakfast is very good, and it's why I return. Now, if they were sensible, they'd have sent someone to the Tesco Metro 100yds down the road and had some in stock. But as they don't see that far, I bring my own. I think they just think I'm a bit eccentric. I guess I am!

For me the key question is whether it impinges on the other passengers, and frankly Maccy D's can be smelly. I also totally agree with negative comments about people eating on the Tube, the perps might not be aware of it but it's not nice to smell second hand kebabs, or any other food for that matter. Sitting close to a nut eater on the Tube for some reason I find particularly nauseating, possibly because you know the smell is the second hand result of mastication.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I really must try this 'burger thing' on my next trip to the US. On the ground, of course, not in the cabin!
For a good burger in the USA, rather than a fast food place, I'd pick a popular sports bar, for example near a university campus. In Minnesota, the specialty is the Juicy Lucy, with melted cheese inside the burger. In NYC, you can find places that are famous for Wagu burgers, foie gras as a topping, or a bit of gold leaf trimming if you don't care about the price. In California, lots of mayo is automatically put on all burgers and avocado is a common topping.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA(1MM-1K), AA(1MM), Hyatt (Globalist), Marriott (Life Gold), Hilton (Gold), Hertz (PresCirc)
Maybe he got a last minute upgrade and had already purchased the food?
I understand the concern over the smell of the food, but I have smelled much worse on flights - independent of the class I was in. I have had people across the aisle on an Emirates flight use their cell phone as a speaker phone during the time everyone was sleeping, people near me with very strong BO, others passing gas repeatedly, loud and drunk people, and yes, food brought on board.
And as far as smelly food goes, chicken nuggets are low on the smell list.
So if he wants his nuggets, so be it.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by jeffreyt2000
Maybe he got a last minute upgrade and had already purchased the food?
I understand the concern over the smell of the food
The OP didn't mention smell, just that "it was not quite the done thing" in F to bring in McDonalds. The basis of the thread to start was that it was beneath F to eat fast food. On the other hand, he got his first choice of meal, and didn't have a bowl of custard as "soup".
Old May 28, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Jagboi
The basis of the thread to start was that it was beneath F to eat fast food.
Ah, the age-old debate between a First Class Passenger and a Passenger with a First Class ticket
adrianlondon and T8191 like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
My personal view:
First: Made to order from Rosie O'Grady's or Pete's Tavern
Club World: Five Guys
Premium Economy: Wendys
Economy (Standard): Burger King
Economy (Basic): McDonalds
I am changing my list I forgot my favourite airline burger from the QF F Lounge at LAX. Awesome as long as I remember to order without Beetroot. What is it with Aussies and beetroot on their burger?

First: Made to order from Rosie O'Grady's, Pete's Tavern, or QF F Lounge LAX
Old May 28, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: Free agent
First: Shake Shack
CW: Shake Shack
PE: Shake Shack
Econ S: McDonalds
Economy Basic: McDonalds
Old May 28, 2019, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
I am changing my list I forgot my favourite airline burger from the QF F Lounge at LAX. Awesome as long as I remember to order without Beetroot. What is it with Aussies and beetroot on their burger?

First: Made to order from Rosie O'Grady's, Pete's Tavern, or QF F Lounge LAX
Perhaps this order should be reversed. Top-end burger in Economy to raise the tone and generate jealously among your adjacent seatmates. McDs in F to roil the strivers and prigs who are committed to keeping up appearances and ensuring everyone around them does the "done thing." LOL.
Nicc HK likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Talking BurgerAdvisor

Well, 23 pages on from the OP’s innocent question, I must admit that I have learned much from the Burger-Eaters here ... for which I (genuinely) thank you.

Whilst I would never take my own food into J (or F, if I ever used it again) at least I have acquired a fairly consistent view on where-to-get-a-burger should I ever feel that way inclined.

I also suspect that the Mods are secret burger-eaters, by allowing this thread to trundle on with recommendations for their next cholesterol-in-a-bun
Old May 28, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well, 23 pages on from the OP’s innocent question, I must admit that I have learned much from the Burger-Eaters here ... for which I (genuinely) thank you.

Whilst I would never take my own food into J (or F, if I ever used it again) at least I have acquired a fairly consistent view on where-to-get-a-burger should I ever feel that way inclined.

I also suspect that the Mods are secret burger-eaters, by allowing this thread to trundle on with recommendations for their next cholesterol-in-a-bun
Forget Wendys and the other chains, when as far west as Arizona find yourself an In n Out. A step back in time.
T8191 and HomerJay like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Free agent
I stop at In n Out every time I exit LAX or SFO. I may or may not have scheduled meetings around being able to get burgers before.
HomerJay and dougzz like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
As a future Texan. What-A-Burger. /closethread.
Insulator-King and TTmex like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Favorite all time burger - Remember those A&W restaurants where you park your car and order through a scratchy speaker through which you could never understand the person at the other end? I seem to remember those burgers as mouthwatering, the bun-meat ratio was perfect, and there was a very dill pickle on it that brought the involuntary pucker. Loved those burgers. But then I was just a kid when we went so maybe nostalgia is kicking in. I think they still have those A&W restaurants in the midwest.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by DCAFly
I think they still have those A&W restaurants in the midwest.
A&W is big in Canada. Probably my favourite of the burger chains, with Dairy Queen a very close second.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jagboi
A&W is big in Canada. Probably my favourite of the burger chains, with Dairy Queen a very close second.
A&W burger with a DQ Blizzard as a chaser. That's a preview of heaven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.