Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Independent
So is it then acceptable to take a Five guys burger on board, but not a McDonald's?
Old May 26, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Have they recently changed the food at McDonald's in other countries? Given most of the options for on the go food in the US, McDonald's is probably one of the less smelly options. I can't say I have ever eaten at a foreign McDonald's, so maybe they have different aromas over there?
This! As a matter of fact, it's actually kind of scary that McD on the US has little to no smell...
Old May 26, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
So is it then acceptable to take a Five guys burger on board, but not a McDonald's?
Returning to the Topic ( ) it is slightly more acceptable, but still IMO wrong!

Would I take, to a half-decent restaurant, my own little pack of cheese and some biscuits? No!
Old May 26, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by T8191
Returning to the Topic ( ) it is slightly more acceptable, but still IMO wrong!

Would I take, to a half-decent restaurant, my own little pack of cheese and some biscuits? No!
But do you really compare an airline to a half-decent restaurant? They server food, yes, and some half decently. But really that is more because they have to more than that being the driving force behind their business model.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But do you really compare an airline to a half-decent restaurant? They server food, yes, and some half decently. But really that is more because they have to more than that being the driving force behind their business model.
Hahaha ... no I don’t! But, let me hypothesise.

How would some Burger Chain (I know nothing of them, other than from what I’ve read/seen over the decades) react if you brought your own Cola or Coffee to drink with their product?

Unless it’s a ‘bring your own wine’ restaurant in Oz, which I found strange but practical, and at least encouraged!
Old May 26, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by dddc
I put it down to being freshly made, "your way". I can't cope with the double patties and just go for the single, but they are fresh and taste like something you might make at home rather than something off a production line.

Years ago I was in Miami and came across a Burger King that made burgers in front of you, a bit like Subway does. It was the best BK burger I'd ever had and I still talk about it. They even served beer at this place. Stupidly, at the airport there was a BK store there and I had a hankering for a bit of a burger. Bad move. I'm sure they microwaved the whole burger as the bread had started to go hard in one place and it was just awful. Every time I go into a BK store I get sorely disappointed now. I don't know if it's the franchisees in the London area, but they seem a mean bunch when it comes to customer service. Saying that, I'm likely to hit a BK store now less than once a year. Even at motorway stops I refuse to go since my last visit there when I ordered a particular burger and was given a different one and told the kitchen was closed and this was all they had left. It was a dearer burger but not what I wanted so I made them give me a refund partially out of spite, but mainly because I didn't want a burger that had been sitting under the lights for an unknown length of time. I believe they are supposed to throw them out after a certain time. A friend that used to work at McDonalds in his youth regularly would go in there and see burgers past their throw out times (the little metal number on a stick thing) and tell staff that he wanted a fresh burger not one that had expired. They've moved away from that model now, but the burgers don't tastes as good as they used to, and not in the light of companies like Five Guys. They are dearer, but if I'm going to have salt/sugar/fat fix, I'd rather blow the calories there.
To avoid the sitting on the shelf burger, vary your order a tiny bit from the standard...this forces them to make a fresh one. Year ago a teenager I knew would always order off the regular burger and invariably they would miss the five minutes or less guarantee or it is free ! He ate a lot of free ones !
T8191 likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We do, inevitably, stray off-topic again ... but I liked that, HMPS! Very cunning!!
Old May 26, 2019, 2:49 pm

We do, inevitably, stray off-topic again ... but I liked that, HMPS! Very cunning!!
Keen observation T8191...being a vegetarian if venture into McD once about 5-6 years, where my order is " Make me a cheeseburger without meat " ,
Old May 26, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by HMPS
To avoid the sitting on the shelf burger, vary your order a tiny bit from the standard...this forces them to make a fresh one. Year ago a teenager I knew would always order off the regular burger and invariably they would miss the five minutes or less guarantee or it is free ! He ate a lot of free ones !
You can do that now with the self service kiosks. I pimped up my cheeseburger by adding everything free to it I could. Shouldn't of added the lettuce. Didn't taste as I'd expected!!

I think we're showing our age with the time limit on delivery - I thought it was 90 seconds, but I'm sure off menu variations didn't count. And I'm sure that was around 40 years ago!!! Wish they still had it. Last time I went in for a simple Quarter Pounder meal I waited around 10 minutes!! Good thing I wasn't catching a flight.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Isn’t the answer obvious?

First: Byron Burger
Club World: Five Guys
Premium Economy: Burger King
Economy (Standard): McDonald’s
Economy (Basic): A single McDonald’s patty in a dry bun. Don’t dare think about sauce or gherkins (pickles)*

*GCH/OWE may add gherkins/sauce on Economy Basic fares
Paren, EDIwanderer and jctech like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by GM1985

Economy (Basic): A single McDonald’s patty in a dry bun. Don’t dare think about sauce or gherkins (pickles)*

No. I've found Byron just too greasy. I avoid their specials now and just stick to a standard burger, well done. If I was going first, I'd want Five Guys.
Unite I believe did have McDonalds in Economy already, but as part of a childs meal years ago. It was good training for the burger flipping generation as you had to build the cheeseburger yourself. The bun and patty were warm, but the you had to add the pickles, onion and sauce yourself. Frankly it sounds a better option than some of the B.O.B. products I've had!
Old May 27, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Keen observation T8191...being a vegetarian if venture into McD once about 5-6 years, where my order is " Make me a cheeseburger without meat " ,
Harking back to my time at McDonald's, a woman once came in ordering a "Big Mac with no meat." I didn't take her seriously. She was being genuine though.

I used to love Bryon but they've gone downhill so far and so fast. Patty and Bun is where it's at now

Haha, this is a trick I picked up too. Without pickle is a popular 'grill' order. I never figured out why a special order was called a 'grill' order.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really must try this 'burger thing' on my next trip to the US. On the ground, of course, not in the cabin!
Old May 27, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China

My personal view:
First: Made to order from Rosie O'Grady's or Pete's Tavern
Premium Economy: Wendys
Economy (Standard): Burger King
Economy (Basic): McDonalds

Perhaps this is all a plot by BA to cut costs even further by encouraging people in first class to BYO McDonalds, and the person in question was trialling this as a pilot
Old May 27, 2019, 2:47 pm

I really must try this 'burger thing' on my next trip to the US. On the ground, of course, not in the cabin!
If you are in LAX, try the In & Out Burger, off site, rental car co shuttle goes there...great plane landings!
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.