Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by scfw0x0f

Coffee is quite hot, and quite smelly. It’s one reason I tend to avoid morning flights as the smell makes me gag.
Especially on the LCY flights where the coffee maker smells of burnt plastic when it's heating up... I've seen people get really angry at the FAs to check that nothing's on fire!
LCY8737 and scfw0x0f like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
It’s First Class, they can bring on MCD if they want. Even more so if they’ve paid an F fare.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Could not give two hoots what someone choses to bring onboard.

I dislike the smell of fish and blue cheese, yet still sit near people eating it onboard aircraft and not like I can make a hoo-har about that one.

We have McDonalds, KFC, Dominos on our jet when the kids are onboard and the smell is not an issue, so don't see why this would have been either. Will be gone in a few minutes.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:29 am

The one thing I've learned from this thread is that there are more people like me that really can't stand the smell of coffee than I thought!

I think complaining about the smell of typical food brought on board is a bit precious; it's part of the lottery of sights, smells and noises that happen on public transport.
BingBongBoy and bastoj like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Sometimes the passengers smell far worse than any food brought on, and yes, even in First.
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by HomerJay
I don't believe I am obligated to be apologetic, but it's no big deal to say, "I have to take my diabetes meds with food. I hope it doesn't bother you."

If I'm going to sit next to someone for the next five hours plus, that's a nice way to let them know I want to be considerate of them. Doesn't cost me anything to be friendly and show consideration.
It's not big deal not to say it either. You are under no obligation to share personal medical details with complete strangers.
flyer0123 and MimiB22 like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scfw0x0f

Coffee is quite hot, and quite smelly. It’s one reason I tend to avoid morning flights as the smell makes me gag.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
The one thing I've learned from this thread is that there are more people like me that really can't stand the smell of coffee than I thought!

I got a bit of a chuckle out of these comments. My wife is the opposite. She LOVES the smell of coffee, the stronger the better, but can not stand the taste. She has fallen for it quite a few times where she will smell the aromas of my espresso, I convince her to try it, and then I get to laugh as she makes a face and goes for a glass of water immediately.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by HomerJay
If that was an early morning flight out of IAD, DCA, or BAL, that could have been me.

I take my diabetes meds (Onglyza and Glipizide) at 7am every morning, and the doctor says they should be taken with food. My flights from the DC area airports to the west coast all depart between 625am and 730am. I will grab a fast food sandwich of some sort at the airport and carry it on with me. After I take my meds, I eat the sandwich (but very little of the bread or bun) so that the meds don't drop my blood sugar below the safe level. I then take the uneaten carbs and wrap them in the sandwich wrapper and give them to the FA to throw away.

It's better than waiting and hoping for an early meal service or being "that guy" who wants his breakfast an hour before everyone else.

If there's someone sitting next to me, they'll get the explanation that I have to eat something with my meds, and I've never had a problem. Everyone has been understanding.
I think and hope that most people are understanding, except for the types who are so upset they had to start a topic about it. My post was meant to poke fun at them.

You bring up a very good point that there may be a variety of medical and other valid reasons that necessitate such "transgressions". I suppose the moral of the story is if you do bring outside food to First, it had better be haute cuisine.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by alex67500
Especially on the LCY flights where the coffee maker smells of burnt plastic when it's heating up... I've seen people get really angry at the FAs to check that nothing's on fire!
Ex LCY is guaranteed to be McDonald's free in F.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
I suppose the moral of the story is if you do bring outside food to First, it had better be haute cuisine.
Perhaps if they were called "nuggets de poulet"?
Old May 14, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Alaska
Let me answer your first question: Yes, you are being snooty. SNOOTY! Let me tell you, I would rather sit in the seat adjacent to the McD's "offender than sit next to you. You might complain that the laces of my sneakers aren't properly tied or that I don't have the proper grasp of my champagne flute.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz Five Star
Yeah, you're an elitist snob

Ive had many times I've had late connections, long flights, and lack of food inbound and had to rush through a fast food place and grab food to jump on the next flight because I couldnt wait another hour or two before F started trickling out food.
diburning, MimiB22 and JMorgana like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: American, Delta, Luftansa, Continental, Hilton Honors, Marriot, NH hotels
You guys are harsh!

Did it ever occur to you this traveler was having a hectic day, skipped meals and had no time to visit the lounge or seek other food? Knowing it is at least an hour from boarding, or with delays what could be many hours until food would be serves he grabbed something quick to go and brought it on board.

In my career I flew regularly and learned to grab a bottle of water and some food, if I was hungry, before the flight. I know now not to get stuck with nothing while starving during a 3-4 hour departure delay. If I didn’t eat it on the plane then I had dinner or a snack at my next location.

Yes we all like to dump on McDonalds but would it have been any better had the “offending” passenger taken out a tin of caviar and some exclusive stinky French cheese? Love those fishy smelling fish eggs!
Old May 14, 2019, 11:20 am

My son in law is a professional athlete and must travel a LOT, often at odd hours. He prefers to eat simple plain food when and where he can so as not to risk an upset tummy. If he has a chance to grab a fast food meal in the airport prior to boarding, whether he's flying First or in the back, he will, because it is familiar. He doesn't like being served unfamiliar food on planes, so more than once, he's gone hungry. He wishes he could rely on getting a steak, salad and baked potato or something else as plain and simple, then he wouldn't be targeted by food snob busybodies who might try to take a photo of him with a fast food bag.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:46 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TTmex
I remember being in a supermarket where a guy in front of me at the checkout had three items on the belt. Strawberries, prosecco and a pack of condoms. Whatever satisfies the cravings at the time...
I once worked as a supermarket cashier. One customer had some seafood (this was before Tesco started selling oysters) steak, potatoes, strawberries cream champagne and condoms. There was a last minute sprint for one last item - paracetamol. I asked with a smile "Just a small insurance premium then" the customer laughed and said yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.