Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 5:33 am

Smelly

Just on a flight from ATL to PHL and someone had been seated early with a big sandwich (possibly pastrami?) that was uber-smelly. I was shocked how bad the cabin smelled. You're in a closed tube with weird air and lots of bodies and poor circulation. The smell persisted (along with some kind of masking spray already in the plane) and I never smelled anything like it. It clung to my clothes all the way driving home from the airport. A cigar would have been like aromatherapy compared to it, this was a greasy, oil, pungent fetid odor.

I get that people bring food because there is nothing on offer on the plane except overpriced terrible garbage and there is often little time between plane changes to get fed. This happened to me going back from HI to the East Coast. No food and no time to get any on the one stopover.

But you can't inconvenience the entire flight with your nasty odors. Cold sandwiches are ok except for tuna and egg salad, no garlic, no onion, no grinders, no hot pockets or smelly anything. It's common (hah) courtesy.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
No hot food should be allowed to be brought on board IMHO. I find the smell quite obnoxious even though I love McD! It is nothing to do with being snooty... it is just about respect to the other passengers
I could say the same about a lot of scents people wear, but you don't see me taking pix of their perfumes and blasting them online for their "obnoxious smells" that may also stink up a cabin, but I've seen no outrage from anyone flying premium about that kind of scent yet.
scfw0x0f likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Last month, someone in the seat behind me whipped out a Subway sandwich a few minutes after takeoff. Since apparently hardly anyone here frequents, nay, ever sets foot in such plebeian establishments, I should explain that a Subway shop and the food served therein have a very distinct scent.

That smell is not entirely objectionable but did affect me somewhat, although only because of its timing. I wish they had waited until meal service. I can, however, see how someone of more refined taste and higher class, manifested clearly and perhaps solely by their boarding group number, would be rightfully and righteously horrified by such scandalous behaviour.

I mean, what is this world coming to? Right? Right?!?!
If that was an early morning flight out of IAD, DCA, or BAL, that could have been me.

I take my diabetes meds (Onglyza and Glipizide) at 7am every morning, and the doctor says they should be taken with food. My flights from the DC area airports to the west coast all depart between 625am and 730am. I will grab a fast food sandwich of some sort at the airport and carry it on with me. After I take my meds, I eat the sandwich (but very little of the bread or bun) so that the meds don't drop my blood sugar below the safe level. I then take the uneaten carbs and wrap them in the sandwich wrapper and give them to the FA to throw away.

It's better than waiting and hoping for an early meal service or being "that guy" who wants his breakfast an hour before everyone else.

If there's someone sitting next to me, they'll get the explanation that I have to eat something with my meds, and I've never had a problem. Everyone has been understanding.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mbl0687
but you don't see me taking pix of their perfumes
It's unfortunate because I'd love to see how you'd do it though!
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: 2016 UA Gold & AA Platinum
When I feel my blood sugar crashing I also know I have 5 minutes or less before the cold sweats and passing out happen. McDonalds isn't a choice I'd make, but I've also been in a situation where waiting to eat wasn't an option if I wanted to remain upright.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbl0687

I could say the same about a lot of scents people wear, but you don't see me taking pix of their perfumes and blasting them online for their "obnoxious smells" that may also stink up a cabin, but I've seen no outrage from anyone flying premium about that kind of scent yet.
Smell o Camera app?
Old May 14, 2019, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
No hot food should be allowed to be brought on board IMHO. I find the smell quite obnoxious even though I love McD! It is nothing to do with being snooty... it is just about respect to the other passengers
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It's unfortunate because I'd love to see how you'd do it though!
I've seen people grab their bottles and spray at their seat!
Old May 14, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: Independent
Previous Discussion thread: Bringing your own food into First Class

I find it kind of disturbing that there is so much pomp and circumstance on some non-US airlines. No, McDonalds is not great food nor particularly healthy, but it doesn't try to be. It is just cheap, dependable, and quick. Are foods so bland in Chile that McNuggets are the smelliest thing? I would normally think of it as one of the less offensive smells. But even worse to me is the whole attitude about how dare they. That makes First Class feel very uncomfortable if there is that much judgement going on there.
Insulator-King and scfw0x0f like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by HomerJay
If that was an early morning flight out of IAD, DCA, or BAL, that could have been me.

I take my diabetes meds (Onglyza and Glipizide) at 7am every morning, and the doctor says they should be taken with food. My flights from the DC area airports to the west coast all depart between 625am and 730am. I will grab a fast food sandwich of some sort at the airport and carry it on with me. After I take my meds, I eat the sandwich (but very little of the bread or bun) so that the meds don't drop my blood sugar below the safe level. I then take the uneaten carbs and wrap them in the sandwich wrapper and give them to the FA to throw away.

It's better than waiting and hoping for an early meal service or being "that guy" who wants his breakfast an hour before everyone else.

If there's someone sitting next to me, they'll get the explanation that I have to eat something with my meds, and I've never had a problem. Everyone has been understanding.
Honestly I don't understand why you need to be apologetic for taking care of your health. I would think that there is no need for you to explain why you are eating, to anyone including your seat neighbors. What smells nice to someone may smell bad to another. With airlines not providing food or providing crappy food, people have different needs, as your case being a diabetic. I would say you are well within your rights to bring and eat any food in any class (Y, J or F) to deal with your diabetes whether it is from a fancy restaurant or from McDonalds
Old May 14, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by flyer0123
Honestly I don't understand why you need to be apologetic for taking care of your health. I would think that there is no need for you to explain why you are eating, to anyone including your seat neighbors. What smells nice to someone may smell bad to another. With airlines not providing food or providing crappy food, people have different needs, as your case being a diabetic. I would say you are well within your rights to bring and eat any food in any class (Y, J or F) to deal with your diabetes whether it is from a fancy restaurant or from McDonalds
I don't believe I am obligated to be apologetic, but it's no big deal to say, "I have to take my diabetes meds with food. I hope it doesn't bother you."

If I'm going to sit next to someone for the next five hours plus, that's a nice way to let them know I want to be considerate of them. Doesn't cost me anything to be friendly and show consideration.
clbish, orbitmic, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Couple next to me on a flight to Spain at xmas brought a big bag of Nandos on board the 7am flight, cabin crew had to "keep it warm" in the galley for them during take off as we were in exit row seats.

Was a bit jealous actually, looked quite good.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It is no body's business why this person is eating McDonalds.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by clbish
It is no body's business why this person is eating McDonalds.
Unless they choose to fill a small cabin with the strong smell of fast food.

How long does it take to eat a McDonald's? 5 mins? The plane wasn't going to leave without him if he'd finished it in the terminal.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
Unless they choose to fill a small cabin with the strong smell of fast food.

How long does it take to eat a McDonald's? 5 mins? The plane wasn't going to leave without him if he'd finished it in the terminal.
Every food smells, what smells nice to one may stink to another and I agree with clbish that it is nobody's business if a person eats McDonalds. I agree about strong smell in a small cabin comment, and I always try not to bring strong smelling food in to the cabin to be courteous to other passengers. But I don't understand why target only fast food, it should be any strong smelling food
mbl0687 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I don't have a problem with people self catering and have done so a few times - but usually some items from Pret a Manger or Starbucks (remember the days when you got a £15 credit if your flight was leaving from T5C).
Because I hate the smell of other people's hot food on public transport eg the Tube, I would not bring hot food on board. Coffee is acceptable though. [...]
Coffee is quite hot, and quite smelly. It’s one reason I tend to avoid morning flights as the smell makes me gag.

Last edited by scfw0x0f; May 14, 2019 at 8:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.