Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Old May 10, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by blueflyer3
Personally, the classiness of the food itself is less of concern to me than the smell. Though it could be worse (read: durian or natto).
I will see your Durian or Natto and raise you with Surstromming!

Old May 10, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
I will see your Durian or Natto and raise you with Surstromming!

That would be horrific 🤢
choosethedrew and SFO777 like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my most recent UA ORD-LHR trip in J, the passenger next to me brought on board a Quarter Pound meal and consumed it before push back. I never realized how gross that food was until watching him upclose consuming it.
downinit and champus like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Part of me is laughing at the idea of being horrified over McDonald's on a plane (I agree about the smell though). My mom fondly remembers flights back in the 70s where almost everyone on the plane had brought McDonald's with them, because the destination did not have a McDonald's.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA GFL/GGL/CCR, SPG Plat for Life, HHDiamond, xG Aegean, Avis President's Circle
I know that smell is entirely subjective but the revolting scent of McDonalds food offerings should be a big no-no in any confined spaces on public transport. Or in a cinema. Or a theatre et al. Inconsiderate, selfish and disrespectful of common space-sharing mindfulness
(ah open-deck bus: you could (sort of) understand the logic...). Theres also the crassness of eating greasy food with ones hands on a plane and leaving oil marks on the fabric cover of the seat for the future passengers to rub themselves against. Its bad enough when the no-outside-food rules in the lounges are compromised against and consequently ignored by the lounge staff. Just to think that not so long ago either case would be considered socially unacceptable...
downinit and djbenedict like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by lipsum
This incident just proves that money and etiquette don't go hand-in-hand.

I do think the proper response is to overlook this behavior. But it would bother me a bit. I also find it sad so many people have such an eating "culture". This morning, I sat on the tram and a college student apparently had to use the <15 min ride to have breakfast. She had a box prepared with yogurt, muesli, and fruit and make lots of clinging noises as she seemed to aim for cleaning the bowl completely with her (metal) spoon.
If you mean taking the photo and posting it here with a condescending attitude? Absolutely agree. If hot food is going to be banned because of the smell (although apparently the airline meals get a free pass on that for reasons I don't understand) then why is pungently strong hot coffee considered to be alright? That gives me a headache....
mario, LCY8737, flygirl68 and 6 others like this.

Last edited by trooper; May 10, 2019 at 4:15 pm
Old May 10, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by mario
In my household we regularly eat McDonald's with a bottle of Krug or Bolly. It's lovely.

As for those of you going on about the smell, get a grip. Nuggets don't smell more or less intrusively than the food served by the crew.
i do the same and I LOVE it. IDGAF what people think of me for doing so.
LCY8737 and ConfusedByBAEC like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
Very much all enjoyed these responses. As ever with Flyertalk a range of perspectives but courteous and good humoured. For what its worth I have eaten many McDs nuggets - but generally only after a worst hangover in five years moment on Fleet Street. Perhaps (as CWS implies) 1A was similarly afflicted after a couple of weeks of Pisco Sours in Chile?
Old May 10, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
If you mean taking the photo and posting it here with a condescending attitude? Absolutely agree. If hot food is going to be banned because of the smell (although apparently the airline meals get a free pass on that for reasons I don't understand) then why is pungently strong hot coffee considered to be alright? That gives me a headache....
I have always thought it is just me with the coffee issue, I get the same problem on trains as well as flights!

Fully agree on smells, to be honest I find some airline meals have quite the strong smell that I dislike yet they are all considered ok! Also some cold food (tuna) can really smell yet I assume no one objects to a cold sandwich someone may bring with them!

Also had a baby in a seat next to me once, to say there was quite the smell there also would be an understatement, can I object to that?

Its public transport, if a smell of the most sucessfull fast food company in the world gets on your nerves or you see it as a reason to look down you nose at someone then I think you should get a private jet instead! If they leave greasy finger marks over the seats thats differrent, but last time I checked BA have very greasy crisps in many of their lounges and Club World help yourself and they leave your fingers just as greasy!!
mario, Stez, muji and 3 others like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a genre of passenger, who after a week or two of local food, does want to retreat to known flavours, to put it as gently as I can. I just hope that never happens to me.
And if it did I assume it your meal of choice would be a kebab from Kemel's, but would it be shish, doner or mixed?
Stez likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
An egg sandwich or a banana can easily leave me trying to avoid vommiting from their horrible smell. I used to ban junior colleagues from eating eggs or bananas at the same table as me at breakfast on work trips. I will happily take the smell of durian over egg or banana.

My wife makes fried rice with McDonalds chicken nuggets. I can't say I have noticed the smell. It certainly doesn't offend me in the same way it does when she makes congee with pork and century eggs, now that smells bad!
muji and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
The second worst smell I've experienced on a plane was from an extremely inebriated passenger in a cramped economy cabin flying back from BGI. He was absolutely hammered and smelt strongly of whisky.

The clear winner was a chunky fella flying out to GIG from Paris (again in a cramped economy cabin). His odour was similar to the toilets at the office after a colleague has dried their sweat-soaked cycling gear on the radiator.

I would have loved to have deeply inhaled from a McDonalds bag for the duration of those flights.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:48 pm

There is a Habit Burger there

Originally Posted by OUTraveling
Look at the HORROR! A Burger in Lufthansa First Class?

Alert the Luftwaffe!

P.S. I would open an IN-N-Out inside LAX if I could.
There is a HABIT BURGER in one of the terminals....Better than In N Out in my opinion.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I see no problem at all, there's a lot worse smells on a plane, including the furnishings.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:58 pm

Even Trump order McDonald for lunch at the White House... why not ? lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.