Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)

On my recent flight from Santiago to LHR in First I was surprised to see that 1A came on board with a box of McDonald's chicken nuggets which he then proceeded to eat with his pre-departure LP champagne. The crew seemed a little taken aback too (some eye rolling in the galley and an amused "Shall I take that for you now sir?" as soon as the food had been consumed).

Am I being snooty in thinking this was perhaps not quite the done thing? Or is the whole point about F travel that passengers do as they please? Either way, it did not feel like a ringing endorsement of the new BA soft product so far as food was concerned!
Old May 10, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hot takeaway food should not be allowed on any public transport (and is, in fact, banned on many bus and train companies) because of the smell.

I was once on a National Express bus and saw a family of four being given the choice of dumping their takeaway McD in the bin at the bus stop or be left behind.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I think it's fine. I personally don't touch mcdonalds unless is the last resort, but each to their own. I have enough money to eat in fancy restaurants in Mexico, but buying tacos or quesadillas on the street is a much better use of money. Cheap and most the time far more delicious. McDonald's wouldn't fall into the delicious for me, but lots of people love it.

Markie, endoman, RJD1983 and 25 others like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by Stoemp
.... The crew seemed a little taken aback too (some eye rolling in the galley and an amused "Shall I take that for you now sir?" as soon as the food had been consumed).
Perhaps the CC could have said, "would sir like a can of lager to go with his meal?"
Old May 10, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I've seen several people do it - and usually they come across as incredibly snobbish. I couldn't care less what people eat, but personally, I find it very rude to impose food that is actually very smelly to the rest of the cabin (regardless of travel class). The greasy smell of McDonald's take away food (or take away fried food generally) invariably lingers around for hours, long after people have finished their meal, infesting everyone's surroundings.

Note that it's only the smell/what is imposed onto others that I care about, not his taste. If he wanted to dine on 2 kilos of haribo, I couldn't care less because I couldn't smell it.
Markie, BearX220, NickB and 21 others like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 10, 2019 at 11:00 am
Old May 10, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ginger50
Perhaps the CC could have said, "would sir like a can of lager to go with his meal?"
I think bringing Mr/Ms 1A a Skyflyer kiddies' pack would have been a better choice!
cabguy, Stoemp and PAX_fips like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Maybe it says something about the state of catering on BA F! I am not a McDonalds fan but I would probably take nuggets and fries over some of the food I have been served on BA flights!

More seriously however what is the F lounge (guessing not an F lounge) food serving in Santiago. If they don't offer much then really if the person was hungry and didn't wish to wait until dinner service then who can blame them! To be fair I think they have every right to bring food on as long as they don't make a mess of the cabin anyway and I dont see who I am or the crew are to eye roll or be taken aback just because someone fancied a McDonalds, afterall they are flying First so must be doing something right!
cabguy, RJD1983, trooper and 15 others like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:38 am

On my recent flight from Santiago to LHR in First I was surprised to see that 1A came on board with a box of McDonald's chicken nuggets which he then proceeded to eat with his pre-departure LP champagne. The crew seemed a little taken aback too (some eye rolling in the galley and an amused "Shall I take that for you now sir?" as soon as the food had been consumed).

Am I being snooty in thinking this was perhaps not quite the done thing? Or is the whole point about F travel that passengers do as they please? Either way, it did not feel like a ringing endorsement of the new BA soft product so far as food was concerned!
I would personally never bring MCDonalds in BA F. I think the food they serve onboard is so much better. But I could do a BYOC
Old May 10, 2019, 10:45 am

Hoped they offered to make his LPGS large
IAMORGAN, SFO777, Stez and 6 others like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
The SCL (Latam) lounge had ravioli, roast beef, a vegetarian option and a cold buffet. But the Golden Arches were pretty much directly opposite the boarding gate!

I guess arguably it would have been even more anti-social in World Traveller from a food smell perspective.

Mr 1A was very youthful - younger even than the Millennial mixed fleet crew, so it was amusing (perhaps even heartening) to watch them judge him!
Old May 10, 2019, 10:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
More seriously however what is the F lounge (guessing not an F lounge) food serving in Santiago.
It's a snacks led menu mainly, it has to be said, in the LATAM lounge:

New BA Routes: London Heathrow (LHR) to Santiago de Chile (SCL)

But the cuisine of Chile is well represented elsewhere in the airport. There is a genre of passenger, who after a week or two of local food, does want to retreat to known flavours, to put it as gently as I can. I just hope that never happens to me.
1P, YuropFlyer, YacozA and 5 others like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Am I being snooty in thinking this was perhaps not quite the done thing?
Yes, you probably and so would I be faced with something quite as uncouth as that. I am of the generation whose Mothers considered it vulgar to eat in the street. Just out of curiosity, did this person eat dinner? Why anyone would bother eating rubbish like that in the first place is beyond me, let alone if one is going to be served a meal in First Cass. The smell alone is disgusting.

At least he did not get that by ransacking the Club Lounge.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Personally I don't give two hoots what other passengers choose to eat, and that includes passengers in F. If someone has a craving for nuggets, so be it. If they also wanted a BrewDog IPA to go with it rather than LPGS then that's fine too. I don't think it's any of the crew's business either. I think people need to wind their neck in and mind their own business a bit more.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:57 am

I remember being in a supermarket where a guy in front of me at the checkout had three items on the belt. Strawberries, prosecco and a pack of condoms. Whatever satisfies the cravings at the time...
1P, RJD1983, hsmall and 25 others like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, it seems rude for the cabin crew to judge the guy and roll their eyes. Presumably he's a paying customers, in fact a customer who is paying or has paid a lot to their employer.

This is independent of what we think of his taste or etiquette. AFAIK he's not violating any BA rules although perhaps there should be a no smelly food rule to go with the no smelly people standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.