Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Old May 10, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
On my most recent UA ORD-LHR trip in J, the passenger next to me brought on board a Quarter Pound meal and consumed it before push back. I never realized how gross that food was until watching him upclose consuming it.
Was it kind of like watching the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan?

I had to sit three rows up from someone on a DL flight Monday night whose BO was so bad that the two people in his row and two people in the row in front of him had to be reseated. I was one of the people reseated, only got away from him by a couple of rows, and could still smell him. I know people have BO for lots of reasons, but this was just vomit-inducing bad. I would have given my left arm to have been smelling a quarter pounder.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I have always thought it is just me with the coffee issue, I get the same problem on trains as well as flights!

Fully agree on smells, to be honest I find some airline meals have quite the strong smell that I dislike […] Also some cold food (tuna) can really smell
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
if a smell of the most sucessfull fast food company in the world gets on your nerves […] then I think you should get a private jet instead!

Isn't that slightly passive-aggressive conclusion a tad paradoxical? I mean, I haven't seen anyone asking that Mr 1A be kicked out of the flight with his McDonald's delicacies. I haven't read any suggestion that he be whipped with barbed wire. I haven't heard any dramatic outburst of the "it's the nugget or me!" type, complete with hand on heart.

OP was surprised at someone bringing McDonald's with him in F, asked what others thought, a number of people said that they wouldn't care in the least and a number of us mentioned that we don't like the smell of McDonald's fried stuff lingering around the cabin and would prefer people would not bring that stuff near us. That is pretty much in the same way as, from what you say, you may well feel happier without your neighbour engulfing a tuna sandwich next to you or might have a sigh of relief if your seat neighbour asks for a cup of tea with her breakfast rather than a couple of coffees. That's pretty much it - preferences, things that people do and do not like smelling or seeing around them, and people exchanging ideas on how they try and deal with sharing a common space for lengthy time. I mean I love Munster, Sinking Bishop, and Roquefort. Personally, I think that they smell delicious, but quite frankly, I wouldn't dream of bringing them with me on a plane. I don't particularly love McNuggets, I think that they are mediocre reconstituted stuff which present very little interest however "most successful in the world" they might be, but I eat the stuff occasionally, and I do love good chips (again, not the McDonald's stuff which I find frankly uninteresting) but again, I just wouldn't bring either of those things with me on a plane for fear of imposing the smell of my current craving onto others. And yes, I do think that it is different for an airline to propose food and for someone to make a unilateral decision to bring smelly food which fragrance he/she will choose to impose onto others, and I'd actually say the same of strong perfumes or anything about body odours that would be avoidable (e.g. people choosing not to use deodorant, etc).

Now again, that's just what I'd prefer people to do. If I sit next to someone eating their Big Mac and fries or smelling of three days of cumulated sweating mixed with way too much perfume, I won't ask them to leave right now, I won't ask the crew to kick them out, I won't claim that my nose matters more than their personal food or hygiene habits, I'll just feel miserable, and I don't really understand where the "you should get yourself a private jet" fits in to be honest or what exactly I'm supposed to do? Feel guilty for not liking those smells? Pretend to the op that he's unreasonable because McDonald's economic success makes it uncriticisable or that the fact that many people might find the smell of McNuggets absolutely delicious (and what not) just like I find the smell of a good aged Roquefort wonderful means that everyone must agree with us on the question of olfactive deliciousness?

To me, the thread has been pretty well behaved, people just talk about what they like, what gets them excited, and what makes them feel not so good, and those of diverging opinions remain entirely free to either take any of it onboard (sometimes we just don't realise that one thing we love may feel uncomfortable to a number of others and it is nice to learn it) or ignore it and stick to their habits and preferences, whichever they see fit.
HNL1K and champus like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Interesting. I can't recall for the life of me meals other passengers in F have brought on board, I guess because I'm too busy minding my own business.

Disclaimer: I'll bring on the odd (non mcD) fancy takeaway burger versus the food typically served on board aircraft, even in F (i am classless, though).
Old May 10, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Just clicked on this thread and seen we’re up to page 7 already, oh goody! 😁
muji likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I e no problem with someone bringing good onboard, I too would, although acknowledging the person is not identifiable, have more of a problem of someone taking pictures of others onboard. I’d agree it was unprofessional of CC to role their eyes.

i’d be interested to know where it states you can’t consume your own food on trains, most trains I’ve been on people have been consuming their own food without issue.

my personal smell dislike was someone sat next to me in a LhR-MAN flight who decided to paint her nails. In a poorly ventilated environment where initially I thought there was a serious issue due to the smell (I didn’t initially see that was where the smell was coming from as I was looking out of the window) and it started to make me cough. I’m equally cautious about strong aftershave/perfume as I’m aware for some this can trigger asthma.
muji likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
Has anyone considered how nasty airplane galleys smell to strict nonconvert vegetarians (ask a brahmin Indian or buddhist)? No matter which cabin we fly, my wife routinely gets nauseated when dinner service starts up by the aromas emanating from the galley. How is someone's lukewarm burger in any way a noxious offense to the presuable non vegetarian populace at large?

I say go ahead and bring whatever you want on board!
Stez likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Does McDonalds smell THAT bad? I never really thought so.

What a silly issue to complain about.

It's like people go out of their way to get offended by something these days. "Oh, he has McDonalds with him on a plane, how dare him?!"
Old May 10, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Take a flight from northern Mexico to Mexico City and there will be 30 people with 5kg boxes of prime cuts. Must admit not seen anyone try eating them onboard yet. Apparently most people don't like their ribeye steak raw. Would love to see people's faces if someone did start chomping away on a steak Fred Flintstone style, washed down with a Corona.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAFly
I had to sit three rows up from someone on a DL flight Monday night whose BO was so bad that the two people in his row and two people in the row in front of him had to be reseated. I was one of the people reseated, only got away from him by a couple of rows, and could still smell him. I know people have BO for lots of reasons, but this was just vomit-inducing bad. I would have given my left arm to have been smelling a quarter pounder.
Reminds me of a LH IST-FRA flight a few years ago. The guy in the middle seat next to me, wearing a tank top, upon landing pulled out a stick of deodorant and applied it to his underarms. What's funny is I don't remember him having any noticeable BO.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Does McDonalds smell THAT bad? I never really thought so.
How often do you partake in McDonalds?
Old May 10, 2019, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Snooty : yes

So what if someone likes fast food - many people do - at least the person knew he was going to get something to eat that he wants

I would agree that taking food on that has an aroma is poor form in that it impacts on other people nearby with nowhere to go. If what the person brought on has no impact on others then so what

I oftem either (a) have a meal before boarding a flight and/or (b) take food with me ( though normally items like sandwiches ) rather than rely that the airline will offer something that I will want to eat

Even for drinks, many airlines have lousy soft drink offerings and will take my own drinks on those flights
Old May 10, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by TomMM
How often do you partake in McDonalds?
A burger smells like a burger. A burger is greasy.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
A burger smells like a burger. A burger is greasy.
The passenger didn't have a burger though, but chicken nuggets - chicken nuggets do not smell like burgers
Old May 10, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The passenger didn't have a burger though, but chicken nuggets - chicken nuggets do not smell like burgers
Chicken nuggets do smell gross - so I'll give you that one.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Wouldn't bother me too much. However, perception of smell is highly personal. What is acceptable for me might not be for someone else and vice versa.

The smell of coffee for example is truly sickening for me. But as long as I'm not flying private jets I'm bound to encounter the smell.

Assuming the chicken nuggets will be gone within 15 minutes I don't see the big deal.
muji likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:39 pm

I think it’s snobbish to judge the guy. There’s nothing wrong with McDonald’s and many of us love it. I’m normal size, yet most airplane meals are too small for me. Personally, I would’ve finished the McDonald’s meal prior to boarding due to the risk of smell, but for all we know this guy might’ve had no time to do so. Either way, it’s pure snobbery to point at him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.