Airside vs Landside Connection from DUB

Old May 10, 19, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Airside vs Landside Connection from DUB

First time poster but I have been following the BA FlyerTalk forum for several years. Family of 5 all in Club World travelling ORD-LHR-DUB in June on two separate bookings. On the return 3 of us are in First travelling DUB-LHR-SAN and 2 in Club World travelling DUB-LHR-ORD on two separate bookings. All 5 of us are US citizens.

We have connected through Terminal 5 a limited number of times (2-3) and have always found the FCC to be a bit disorganized and lengthy. Based on information on FlyerTalk I am interested in trying the landside route through the First Wing rather than the FCC airside route on the return flight from Dublin purely based on saving time and getting into the CCR quicker. We land at LHR from DUB at 12:15pm on a Wednesday.

Two questions Ė For our situation, would the landside route typically be faster than the airside route through the FCC? Can the two family members on the Club World tickets and a separate booking use the First Wing with the three of us in First? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Old May 10, 19, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sdhome View Post
First time poster but I have been following the BA FlyerTalk forum for several years. Family of 5 all in Club World travelling ORD-LHR-DUB in June on two separate bookings. On the return 3 of us are in First travelling DUB-LHR-SAN and 2 in Club World travelling DUB-LHR-ORD on two separate bookings. All 5 of us are US citizens.

We have connected through Terminal 5 a limited number of times (2-3) and have always found the FCC to be a bit disorganized and lengthy. Based on information on FlyerTalk I am interested in trying the landside route through the First Wing rather than the FCC airside route on the return flight from Dublin purely based on saving time and getting into the CCR quicker. We land at LHR from DUB at 12:15pm on a Wednesday.

Two questions Ė For our situation, would the landside route typically be faster than the airside route through the FCC? Can the two family members on the Club World tickets and a separate booking use the First Wing with the three of us in First? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
welcome to flyertalk and to the ba forum!

Last edited by orbitmic; May 10, 19 at 3:48 pm
Old May 10, 19, 10:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And I will add my welcome too.

I don't think I can fully agree with orbitmic's post above, since if you actually were landing in LHR, and not connecting, you must use the landside route. The checks that I have seen there are to ensure - under the HAL by-laws - that anyone going to Flight Connections has an onward connection (or have the "bona fides" for that, to be precise). Though the CTA internalised privileges only apply to UK and Irish citizens, you are only required to pass UK immigration for a fairly limited number of factors. Moreover, if arriving on Aer Lingus or other UK airports you won't have much choice, you are thrown landside via the land corridor systems.

If you are legitimately arrived into Ireland, cleared immigration there, are (critically) a Non Visa National or EEA, then you are what is known as a Code 3 Arrival with a deemed three months allowed in the UK. EEA would be Freedom of Movement instead of Code 3. There are exceptions, for example if the OP is deemed by the Secretary of State of the Home Department to not be conducive to the public good, but assuming this is a US citizen with a brief visit, then yes you can go via landside if you wish, and it would be faster. As a First passenger you are allowed one guest each, a guesting right that also extends to Emeralds.

Now it may be that orbitmic knows something I don't but this Deemed Leave is derived from The Immigration (Control of Entry through Republic of Ireland) Order 1972. The one exception I can think of is if the passenger somehow got on to a UK bound aircraft in DUB without passing Irish passport control, but I can't see how that could be done.
Old May 10, 19, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Now it may be that orbitmic knows something I don't but this Deemed Leave is derived from The Immigration (Control of Entry through Republic of Ireland) Order 1972. The one exception I can think of is if the passenger somehow got on to a UK bound aircraft in DUB without passing Irish passport control, but I can't see how that could be done.
I donít (know something additional)! I genuinely thought non U.K./Ireland had to go through passport control but am very glad if I was wrong. Maybe Iím getting confused with arrival into Ireland and thus misinterpreted the check at lhr.
Old May 10, 19, 11:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post

I donít (know something additional)! I genuinely thought non U.K./Ireland had to go through passport control but am very glad if I was wrong. Maybe Iím getting confused with arrival into Ireland and thus misinterpreted the check at lhr.
Yes, it's different there, Ireland is free to set its own rules, so takes a different approach.

The UK and Ireland on Wednesday signed a Memorandum of Understanding, which includes a process to reduce barriers on the CTA. The DUB arrival checks from LHR are on the list for review. So hopefully good news to come there.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...CTA-MoU-UK.pdf

(clauses 6 then 14 to 16).
Old May 10, 19, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
To specifically answer the OPs questions.

The three of you in F will be able to guest one (on any OW ticket) each into the First Wing, through security there and then straight out of the First Lounge and into the CCR. So the 2 J passengers will be able to join you no problem. Following CWS' advice on the CTA arrival you'll be able to walk straight land side with no check, upstairs into departures, and into the First Wing. This is the route I'd take rather than through flight connections.
Old May 10, 19, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Thank you everyone for the prompt responses. The landside route it is.
nick.t.davies likes this.
Old May 14, 19, 6:19 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
CTA - DUB arrivals checks

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Yes, it's different there, Ireland is free to set its own rules, so takes a different approach.

The UK and Ireland on Wednesday signed a Memorandum of Understanding, which includes a process to reduce barriers on the CTA. The DUB arrival checks from LHR are on the list for review. So hopefully good news to come there.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...CTA-MoU-UK.pdf

(clauses 6 then 14 to 16).
at T5 there are obviously stands for flights arriving from Ireland that facilitate the bypassing of UK border controls ... and at LGW there is the dreaded bussing of passengers to avoid border controls ... but with such a huge number of flights arriving into DUB being from the UK, it's a much bigger deal than for LHR. Maybe DUB T1 could become the CTA terminal, and DUB T2 the international terminal (although I doubt EI would appreciate having their flights split) ?

there's also still the issue of how does a passenger arriving into DUB (or any other point of arrival) prove that they are an UK/Irish citizen (and therefore able to benefit from CTA) - other than by showing a passport ?!
Old May 14, 19, 8:16 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers View Post
there's also still the issue of how does a passenger arriving into DUB (or any other point of arrival) prove that they are an UK/Irish citizen (and therefore able to benefit from CTA) - other than by showing a passport ?!
Well UKBF doesn't enforce this for non-British/Irish citizens arriving into UK airports, so INIS could do the same if it wanted to.
Old May 14, 19, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirBnb 700x Platinum, AC (never again)
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Well UKBF doesn't enforce this for non-British/Irish citizens arriving into UK airports, so INIS could do the same if it wanted to.
This would be great for me... I actively avoid Ireland as a Canadian passport holder... have had several pages of my (now old) passport wasted with a centered giant Ireland stamp on it.
U at least gets ~3-4 entry + exits per page.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: