Wiki Posts
Search

Avios 50% Bonus Sale - should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Avios 50% Bonus Sale - should I buy?

I am not very experienced with using Avios. I have only ever done one redemption flight so I am not familiar with the purchasing power (or lack of it) of Avios. I wonder if you could give me some guidance... I have done many searches to find previous posts on the subject but haven't found anything that has helped much.

I am Gold status, I fly a few times a year to EU destinations but don't mind flying ET for flights under 4hrs, once or twice a year I will do a TATL (BOS, JFK, ORD) usually in CW. For these TATLs I try to go ex-EU.

My question then is given that I am certainly flying a few times over the next few years should I purchase the max amount of Avios in the sale at 50% bonus? That would be 300,000 Avios (200K + 100K bonus) for Ł3,215?

Would I then get better value by using these for redemptions, UuA or PPwA. Whenever I have priced up TATL redemptions they have still required significant cash payments for taxes etc and when I price the same flights up without using Avios the cash isn't always significantly different. I have to admit to being a bit confused as to where it is best to use Avios and whether it is worthwhile buying them in the sale?

Can you help?
Old May 9, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
I wouldn't, but each person has to decide for themselves. Avios, limited availability, don't earn TP or Avios. Cash complete flexibility. Avios devalued are the whim of the 'bank' that issues them. Cash far more stable.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Buying Avios can be good value if you have a specific plan to use them short term. I would not buy with a plan to use them over a few years. They could easily be worth much less by then and in any case these offers to buy at discounted prices come round every few months anyway.
SK and DeathSlam like this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I've been pricing up a trip for early next year and did it this way

1. price up a full reward ticket to see how much it would cost in Avios and cash and yes the tax, airport fees and BA surcharge (which is the biggest element) can be quite a bit

2. price up a cash ticket and then see how much a discount I could get by using some avios

In my case the cost in cash and miles was virtually identical (may not always be the case) to the full redemption and with option 2 I'd still earn avios and TPs.
Crampedin13A likes this.

It's a very subjective question, but I certainly wouldn't be paying serious cash for a load of Avios against some soft future ideas of travel. I think there's likely to be a devaluation (I don't know anything here, but tend to assume the worst) so unless you have a specific plan in mind I'd suggest you hold on to your cash.

The other thing to do is to check price and availability as well as prices on the sort of trips you take. If you're happy to do ex-EU then you may well find that for little more cash, you get complete freedom of dates and schedules, plus TPs and Avios. Especially if you can wait for sales and then decide on trips.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
It’s very hard to get long haul redemptions in J and F with Avios, sometimes you have to book a year in advance for key routes and if you are sitting on all those Avios and there’s a devaluation it’s a waste of money. I personally find the best use of Avios to be reward flight saver, 8000 plus Ł25 pp and you’ve got a mini break in most of Europe, Bit of Lounge time before as you’ve said you are newly Gold and would enjoy that with the added bonus of a day or 2 or more somewhere.

I recently went to Prague out in CE back ET but on the E190 to LCY for 11500 Avios plus Ł42.50 and lounge hopped in T3 before.

Alternatively in the USA you should be able to get from BOS or NYC to BUF, ORD, DCA for a few Avios and a few Ł make that trip into a multi centre with maybe an open jaw return using Avios to get from one to the other.

Other people will have different opinions with GUFs and 241s etc and those that UUA from say WTP to CW but I guess it’s a personal preference. I’m sure you’ll get loads of opinions to ponder and decide.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have never purchased Avios and have never seen the need. I earn Avios mainly through flying, with a little bit of Amex spend on top. Redemptions tend to be UuA for long-haul flights, and what would otherwise be very expensive flights with AA, AS or BA. We've done some redemptions on CX where this also represents good value for money. We're also doing a one-way IAH - LHR - NCL flight later this year in order to then use a GUF2 on a return flight starting in the UK where prices (especially the carrier fees and taxes) were considerably lower than starting in the US.

If I don't have sufficient Avios in my account to upgrade then I either book a cash fare or else I don't fly at all. If I was going to spend Ł3,215 then it certainly wouldn't be on Avios.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughts. In my heart I thought that it might not be a sound idea but I needed to be sure that I wasn't missing a trick.

I don't have a lot of Avios at the moment (60K) so I should get a few EU trips using Reward Flight Saver. Just taken a look

Thanks for your ideas on the best way to use Avios.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
snaxmuppet ... I trust you have, as the minimum, the free BA Amex card for your everyday spend? We decided to go for the Amex PP, for the extra Avios earning on almost everything we do/spend everywhere. Possibly more cost effective earning than actually buying Avios.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I'd only ever purchase Avios if I was certain I would make a significant saving on the purchase price versus the cash price. For example if, theoretically, I didn't have enough Avios to use a 241 to The Maldives but I had a GGL Joker and I'd checked that the seats could be made available then I might jump in and purchase at that point.

I have to say though, I'm increasingly finding that cash tickets are better value than Avios redemptions in almost all circumstances.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

I don't have an Amex card and probably wouldn't be able to get one.

I can see Avios is much more use to GGL holders where it can be used in conjunction with the various vouchers.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I don't have an Amex card and probably wouldn't be able to get one.

I can see Avios is much more use to GGL holders where it can be used in conjunction with the various vouchers.
Just being gold is good though, they often release extra seats for RFS. To be clear is this not the pay double forced releases, it's just extra availability. Of course as a gold on paid flights you earn a lot more Avios too.
snaxmuppet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.