Wiki Posts
Search

LHR to NCE Thurs 9th May cancellations

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
LHR to NCE Thurs 9th May cancellations

Whats up with the LHR to NCE route this Thursday?
Expertflyer is showing 4 cancelled flights and everything is else that day is now obviously zero availability
Old May 7, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Same thing just happened with LHR to BCN on the 9th too . . . odd.

Scrambled to get onto the late outbound the night before...

French ATC strike.
adrianlondon likes this.

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Industrial action by French ATC. Just for a change.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are flights flying to/from Paris?
Old May 7, 2019, 1:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
From BA

Operational update - France ATC Strike - 09MAY Key Message

A French ATC strike will take place from 1700z 08th May through to 0400z 10th May. As a result there will be a number of cancellations made to our flights on Thursday 09th May.

The following flights for Thursday 09th May will be cancelled:
• LCY - 1 x PAR (ORY) round trip (these have already been actioned BA8752/8751)
• LGW - 1xALG, 1xBOD, 1xNCE
• LHR - 2xCDG, 1xLYS, 1xMRS, 3xNCE, 3xBCN, 1xBSL, 1xMAD, 1xGVA, 1xZRH
Old May 7, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
I am surprised that they have waited as long as May for a good old French ATC strike. Don't they usually start in March once the weather warms up?
Old May 7, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Crap I'm booked to go out on Thursday.

I was going to try to do a same day change but my flight is now the earliest flight into CDG. Still showing as an A319 I wonder will they change it to something bigger.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:07 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
The last time this happened to me, we flew out over Belgium, Germany and then across Switzerland and down Italy, only coming into French airspace at the last minute in order to land at NCE. Why can't they just do this, one wonders?
Old May 7, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by 1P
The last time this happened to me, we flew out over Belgium, Germany and then across Switzerland and down Italy, only coming into French airspace at the last minute in order to land at NCE. Why can't they just do this, one wonders?
It looks like they are doing that for some flights, but because of they extra time required for that they still have to cut frequencies, etc.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by wrp96
It looks like they are doing that for some flights, but because of they extra time required for that they still have to cut frequencies, etc.
And other flights doing that at the same time, i.e. airspace congestion.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
I am surprised that they have waited as long as May for a good old French ATC strike. Don't they usually start in March once the weather warms up?
Spring was a bit later this year...
plunet likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:51 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Industrial action by French ATC. Just for a change.
This is only part of the story. There is a strike by all Civil Servants in France (all 9 unions) and Air Traffic Controllers are included. This is over job cuts and various other issues. There is a big long and increasingly bitter dispute going on in France since November. I should not be surprised if there is a general strike before June is out.

Last night there was not a mention of this strike strike on the 20.00 news, but it was No 1 item today. What I’d like to request is how and when are these wretched Days of Action (if you ever heard such a misnomer) are going to take place. Then we can take measures to try and reduce its impact on our arrangements. What I will not do is attempt same day trips to start Lang Haul as this seems to impact on everything as the aircraft are out of place.

What amazes me is is that the French just suck it up. Descartes has a lot to answer for.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What I’d like to request is how and when are these wretched Days of Action (if you ever heard such a misnomer) are going to take place. Then we can take measures to try and reduce its impact on our arrangements.
There's the rather useful https://www.cestlagreve.fr/ who also have apps for both Android and Apple.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
1) you still have to get under French ATC. There are 5 control centers for the different regions and some centers have more striking staff than others. The route you indicate means that the flight only has to deal with one French control center.

2) A lot of flights are trying to avoid France, meaning that the air space around France got very crowded, Not all UK-NCE flights can take that long route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.